By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Will Be The Biggest Flops of 2014?

Which one will sell the worst

The Divsion 52 6.45%

Watch Dogs 46 5.71%

Titanfall 154 19.11%

Infamous: Second Son 53 6.58%

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U 25 3.10%

X 40 4.96%

Bayonetta 2 244 30.27%

Hyrule Warriors 104 12.90%

The Witcher 3 29 3.60%

Other (Post it) 56 6.95%

Total:803

Most Likely: Bayonetta 2 and The Crew
Regrettably: Fable Legends and Sunset Overdrive
Hopefully: Next COD game.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
eFKac said:

Yeeeah not really. The game was absolutely panned after the beta, often compared to the famous Matrix MMO.

And I'm sure TOR was such an amazing success story but they decided to go F2P just to let more people play their game, cause the are so kind-hearted.

And to answer your previous argument. Developers still release those few big budget MMOs, cause the development usually started soon after the WOW craze and everyone wanted a chunk of that money making pie. Thing is, the model from 10 years ago just doesn't work anymore unless you are WOW, but even that has a declining interest, which is obvious. TOR was caught pants down, FFXIV was a huge failure before it became ARR, and we're yet to see how well will it hold, it's time for TESO.

Which beta test are you talking about, the very first one? That early leaked beta footage was panned, but from what I've heard TESO has greatly improved in beta since then, it supposedly plays alot like Skyrim now instead of like the WoW clone it was playing like in early beta. I've heard mostly praise from those I know who were in the beta more recently. 

SWTOR went F2P because the subs were dropping off, from 1.7m at the highest point in February to below 1 million in July. That doesn't mean that they didn't make back their budget from subscriptions long before it went F2P though. They still had a considerable number of people paying $15 a month up until it went F2P in November. That's 10 months of people paying $15 a month, and over 1 million people paying $15 a month for 7 months. Do the math, it should have made back it's $150-$200 million budget before it ever went F2P, and it's sure to have made EA quite a bit of money since it went F2P, as the nickel and diming F2P cash store model is quite profitable. I remember Cryptic Studios announced that they were making more money after STO went F2P than when it was P2P.

You're not considering the costs to keep the servers up and still a team constantly on the title to keep content going, voice actors, etc. etc., certainly bigger costs than your normal game with a multi component.

And we don't really know big the budget was, rumoured between 150-250 million bucks. Sure all in all it will probably turn profitable, since F2P still makes money to the studios, but it's not big success story. And I don't expect TESO to even have numbers as big as TOR which had a really promising start. Depending how much end game content they have they may not lose subs so sharply. Still I'm expecting it to go F2P within a year.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Bayonetta 2 hands down.

Xbox live: kyokusanagiii    Watching: Patlabor The Mobile Police (OAV 1)

NintendoPie said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Yep, in a worst case they usually do by the time they go to f2p, unless it's just a bad game like All points bulletin. You dont need huge numbers when people pay 15 a month.

Publishers would not keep making them if they were financial disasters.

Okay, thanks for the information. I definitely had some sticker shock.

He's wrong about that, the largest budget on an MMO was The Old Republic at nearly $200million. And ESO has already went past that. Most small  MMOs are at max 3 million, medium size ones like Guild Wars 2 are 30-50 million. Huge Triple A ones like ff14, old republic, and ESO are minimum 80+ million. So even for huge MMOs, that's not a normal budget.

As for making money back? Recently no, Old Republic has not made EA a single penny and they were forced to go f2p to try to make money,FF14 probably hasn't made Square money due to the fact that they were forced to relaunch the game because of how terible the original went. Really, only MMO with a huge initial budget that i think actually made money was World of Warcraft.

If were talking about game quality I think Hyrule Warriors will be a flop in reviews and probably the witcher 3. I just don't think those games looks great in my opinion.

Around the Network

Thief is one that I think might sell badly... but with not many games out just yet and a big user base, i think it will do 1 million..

My guess would be mostly Wii-u titles to be fair... most haven't been selling that well anyway.

X
Bayonetta 2

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

NavyNut said:
If were talking about game quality I think Hyrule Warriors will be a flop in reviews and probably the witcher 3. I just don't think those games looks great in my opinion.

Witcher 3 is going to sell 2-4 million copies no problem. It's good fan base which is growing due to what GOG do, so I expect it to do well... just dont see it doing badly.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

I don't know why people think Hyrule Warriors will be a flop. That is the most appealing looking Zelda game I can imagine. It actually will FEEL like a war and as long as it has a decent story (or amazing) I will be one happy person. Love the visuals too (though that is a very small thing compared to story/gameplay). I can't wait for Hyrule Warriors baby!

Who the fuck voted Witcher 3? That game is going to be amazing.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Every single lame a$$ low budget 3rd party game released or ported with much higher price on the Wii U

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints