By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A Wild MGS4 Has Appeared! <(^_^<)

Was going through my games collection and there it was, a copy of Metal Gear Solid 4! How it got there? I have no idea! xD
Perhaps part of a buy 1 get 1 free deal, but in any case I have it! Thing is I've never played a MGS game before as I'm not the biggest fan of being stealthy, and being that this is the 4th game in the series, I feel I'd be completely lost story-wise if I played it now. So what do yal think? Should I just play it anyway, or perhaps wait until MGS5 to get into the series since it'll have a new main character iirc?

Around the Network

i'd recommend grabbing one of the legacy collections.

4 ≈ One

I'm assuming you have a Wii/Gamecube? I would say you should try out MGS: The Twin Snakes, which is an updated/enhanced version of the original Metal Gear Solid, and see if you like it. You probably will have issues following the story in 4 without playing earlier games.

AFAIK in The Phantom Pain you play as Big Boss, which is the character you play as in the third game and a character who is heavily referenced in the series. The gameplay also seems to be very different. I wouldn't suggest Starting with 5 based on what we know so far.

A ninja left it there and you didn't even notice.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

You could get the Legacy edition or a least the HD remakes....but honestly you'll going to feel lost about the story anyway btw chronologically MGS3>MGS5>MGS1>MGS2>MGS4 for the "Solid" home console series.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network

Hell no. Do not start with MGS4.

I'd just play it in the order they were released if I were you.

Before 4 you kind of need to play 1 & 2, 5 takes place after 3

edit: 

Metal Gear series
fictional chronology

5 does not have a new main character, you play as Big Boss in MGS 3, Portable Ops and Peace Walker.

Dgc1808 said:
i'd recommend grabbing one of the legacy collections.

There's already so many other games I'ma need to get this year, butt I'm only willing to spend so much! Dx

AZWification said:

A ninja left it there and you didn't even notice.

He wouldn't be a very good ninja if I did notice! :L