By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Vita Outsell Sega's GameGear LTD?

Scisca said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Once again you make another idiotic statement without actually reading what I said. I even bolded it for you but I guess that was expecting to much. So this time I will write it in caps in the hopes that there is a modicum of brain activity going on.  I said "IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING" not "You Are" in regards to indies being considered as strong 3rd party support. Was it that difficult for you to properly read my comment? Seriously?

The Vita will not grow, if anything it's abhorrent market share with dwindle further in comparison to the 3DS. Killing Vita now would not make any sense. If it continues the same trend as I predict, they will put it out to to pasture  by end of next year in order cut further losses Why are they going to support a sinking ship when the PS4 is going to be heading into a difficult battle for lead market share against the Xbone  ( In N.A forthe most part) over the next several years. The possible outcome I predicted is not ridiculous by any means whatsoever. To deny that there is a possibility of this is only lying to yourself. If it reasonable for analysts to call for the discontinuation of the Wii U by end of 2015, it is more than reasonable to do the same for Vita, which has far less compelling software coming out this year.

You claim you apply logic, yet you fail at every turn.  

My mind is operating perfectly, but your is clearly failing. Do you even understand what I'm talking about? It's the second time you're trying to call me on something you've pulled out of your ass. I've never mentioned the West as important in the quest for 11 mil Vitas sold, in fact I've stated the opposite. I've never mentioned the support for the West in 2014 as remotely important for that. I've never mentioned indies. These are just your demons and your inability to properly read a post. These semantics you're so desperately clinging to are totally meaningless and it only makes you look that much more pathetic.

On the other hand, again, I was talking about Japan. Japan gets great support and it's not your bloody indies (I wonder if you'll manage to let go of them in this thread), but proper games and I'm gonna repeat it - Japan is enough for the Vita to pass GG. I do apply logic, just like everyone else in this thread does except for you. You wanna know the major difference between Vita and Wii U? Vita has already found its market. Its position in Japan is pretty much set and will only improve. 3DS is selling better, but there are already genres that Vita managed to secure for itself in Japan. Vita is not competing with 3DS, it's going at its own pace - slow but methodical. It is safe there and can only expand. On top of that Sony is still investing in it, securing the translations, just this week we've learned about the port of Unity Engine. That doesn't look like they are planning to kill the console anytime soon. On the other hand, Wii U has nothing to cling to. No region, no target group of customers, no nothing. That is why your wet dream of Sony phasing Vita out is ridiculous. More and more Japanese 3rd parties are making the jump from PSP to Vita, it would just make no sense to kill it. I actually think it more possible that Vita sells more than PS4 LT in Japan, than that Sony decides to kill it within a year. Japan is a totally different market than the West and Vita suits them better - both the gamers and the developers.

Just repeat this 10 times: "Vita will earn Sony money in Japan". Maybe you'll finally understand why everyone laughs at your "predictions".

I've now had to explain this to you several times regarding the Indie comment. I went out of my way to even bold it for you in the hopes that you would have a an ounce of understanding in what I was saying to you. I was wrong. I understand you're from Poland but if you do not understand the English language, or are unable to apply common sense when reading a sentence, then maybe you should refrain from posting. Since I'm a somewhat nice person I will copy the bolded words from my previous post and provide you a link for the definition of the word IF ( I said "IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING" not "You Are" in regards to indies being considered as strong 3rd party support.http://www.thefreedictionary.com/IF

Once again you've made assumptions or else completely missed the point I was making as you've seen to do so throught your entire rant. I never stated that you commented as the West being important. I advised that their resources are gong to be focused on the battle with Xbone (in N.A for the most part). How the hell did you misconstrue this one?

Now you've decided to  jump into the lunacy boat of Vita outselling gamecube. Vita barely has enough compelling software to keep it afloat, let alone sell another 15 million systems. You claim I'm being ridiculous by stating there is a possibility of Vita not outselling gamegear, to which I actually provide an intelligent argument as to why  it might not and then you claim that Vita will outsell the Gamecube? Are you really being serious or is this just a troll account? It would seem the latter at this point as you've drifted off into the land of nonesense. Untiy engine will not be anything significant for the Vita. Sure we will see alot more indie developed titles but at the end of the day it will have the same impact as it did for the Wii U. Sweet F all!The moment you made all these claims about the Vita and then stated the Wii U has nothing to cling to, solidified the obvious fact that you are either suffering from some sort of delusions or else you are even more of an extreme Sony (insert word that is bannable) then some of the fanatics on this site. Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in your wishful thinking of positive outcomes for the Vita. 

2014 3rd part games in Japan will not move significant hardware, Unity will do absolutely shit all for Vita, the Vita is a dying console and will will never in it's lifetime pass gamecube sales. Once you've excepted this, you'll be able to move on.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
Michael-5 said:

With that logic WiiU would be dead by 2015 as well. Both the Vita and WiiU opened to great sales in their debut month/month, but then sudddenly fell. Vita grew from 2012-2013, end of story.

Your numbers give a bias to 2012 because you include PSV's launch (in 2011), and omit FFX week in 2013.

Only 2 FF's have sold more in NA over Japan? 4 of the 7 localized Final Fantasy's for PSP did better in NA then Japan (Crisis Core, FF1, FFII, and FF Tactics). Don't kid yourself.

You're arguement is extremely bias and heavily relies on Vita droping in Japan despite trends showing that Vita has sold more month over month for every month in 2012 (except June and September because Persona and Ys release in 2012 during those months).

Even without a major release from Sony, Vita will outsell the Game Gear, no problem. However it's very likely that Sony will release a God of War, Gran Turismo or a second Uncharted and that will guarentee it. You're arguement of development costs is also flawed because like Killzone, God of War can use the PS3 engine, and same for Uncharted and Gran Turismo. Development costs are low to make Vita games off existing engines.

According to alot of analysts and "apparent" experts on this site ( I say that with a heavy amount of sarcasm) Wii U will be discontinued by 2015! Therefore the same logic can obviously be applied to VIta. 

You cannot claim my way of presenting numbers are biased but state that yours are not. If sales from  Dec 13th - Dec 14 have a significant increase (more than 15% YoY) then I will agree that the Japan argument is invalid. However, I do not beleive that if the current drops remain in E.U/N.A and with this year being the peak year for Japan, that Sony would continue production with such little sales which is why I created this thread about the possibility of PSVita being discontinued before sales reach 11 million. I will admit that I stand corrected on the FF N.A vs Japan, however, PSP had a larger install base in  N.A than Japan whereas it is the opposite this time around with PS Vita (24% less). With the lack of sales, I do not forsee the N.A release matching Japan sales.

Development costs argument is not flawed if the software has difficulty reaching 1 million units. Killzone has several hundred thousand at this point in sales. Do you believe it has turned a profit? Also the Vita needs strong software sales in order to make it profitable, which is hasn't. Their losses are more than likely continuing to produce each console due to this. Uncharted is Sony's (correct  me if I'm wrong) 2nd biggest selling franchise when you factor in sales per game and that only managed 1 million while being heavily bundled after. Gran Turismo would sell decently but with the amout of time polyphony takes to develop a game, would the sales be enough to give them a decent profit margin? 

The Vita could surprise everyone and end up with 15mill sales before being discontinued, however as stated in my argument, I do not beleive that it is out of left field to see it being discontinued before it manages 11 mill. Unless, Sony are willing to further burn money and spend an enormous amount in remarketing it, which I don't believe they will.

I have not heard of a single analyst claiming WiiU will be discontinued in 2015, never mind "a lot." Could you please show me a link to an article where you read this because if you want to apply this logic to Vita I would like to see something.

The number of Vita's in North America is only 25% less then the number of Vita's in Japan, where PSP was about 1:1 in both territories. It's very possible that FFX will sell on par, or better, in NA as it would in Japan. Add in Europe and it's pretty much guarenteed that FFX will sell more units and push more consoles outside of Japan then inside of it.

Killzone was a FPS on a handheld. Traditionally FPS's don't sell well on handhelds, and Sony knew they were taking a loss when they prodiced this game. God of War, Uncharted GA 2, and Gran Turismo on the other hand will not be sold at a loss, even if released in 2015.

As for Uncharted: Golden Abyss, it wasn't even developed by Naughty Dog, it was developed by Bend Studio, and it was their best selling game ever (sold 33% more then their next best selling game - Syphon Filter: The Omega Stream). How did this not turn a record profit for the studio? It's very likely that they will make another PSV exclusive.

I think the Vita would surprise everyone if it sold under 12 million lifetime. You don't think Sony will push the system, even after it's been replaced, like they have for all their other consoles? Then why did they make a new marketing campaign last fall and bundle the Vita with the PS4 (which I read boosted sales a good margin).?

There are quite a few articles and some analysts who are either calling  for/ claiming /or stating that the Wii U should be discontinued soon, which if that that is the case, the same logic should easily be applied to Vita.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/11/10/nintendo-could-be-forced-to-discontinue-the-wii-u/

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/11/10/investment-site-says-nintendo-could-be-forced-to-discontinue-the-wii-u-next-year/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-17-nintendo-should-get-out-of-the-wii-business-pachter

I do not see  how FFX will sell on par or better with a smaller userbase of 25% when that number is continuing to expand as Vita  N.A weekly numbers pale in comparison to Japan. 

While I am aware that FPS are not system sellers for handhelds, I don't believe that they were expecting such mediocre sales for Killzone, when the terrible Black Ops Declassified is nearing almost 900K. The problem with the games you mentioned is that they still would have a significant enough dev cost. When a launch game like Uncharted sells so poorly compared to expectations and has to be hevily bundled to reach 1 mill. That speaks volumes. Unless you are aware or have some statistics for dev costs because with the amount of polish that Golden Abyss had, it doesn't seem likely that a significant profit was made from it.

As for the Vita bundle I don't beleive it increased sales that greatly, unless there are some statistics you can provide for this? Also from what I recall the price point wasn't very attractive as in the UK for example there was only a $10 discount when purchasing the bundle. It's not that I do not believe that it cannot sell more than 11 million. This thread is about the possibility of it being discontinued if current sales trends continue. Plus it's partial revenge for all the Nintendo doom and gloom articles :)

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
Michael-5 said:

I have not heard of a single analyst claiming WiiU will be discontinued in 2015, never mind "a lot." Could you please show me a link to an article where you read this because if you want to apply this logic to Vita I would like to see something.

The number of Vita's in North America is only 25% less then the number of Vita's in Japan, where PSP was about 1:1 in both territories. It's very possible that FFX will sell on par, or better, in NA as it would in Japan. Add in Europe and it's pretty much guarenteed that FFX will sell more units and push more consoles outside of Japan then inside of it.

Killzone was a FPS on a handheld. Traditionally FPS's don't sell well on handhelds, and Sony knew they were taking a loss when they prodiced this game. God of War, Uncharted GA 2, and Gran Turismo on the other hand will not be sold at a loss, even if released in 2015.

As for Uncharted: Golden Abyss, it wasn't even developed by Naughty Dog, it was developed by Bend Studio, and it was their best selling game ever (sold 33% more then their next best selling game - Syphon Filter: The Omega Stream). How did this not turn a record profit for the studio? It's very likely that they will make another PSV exclusive.

I think the Vita would surprise everyone if it sold under 12 million lifetime. You don't think Sony will push the system, even after it's been replaced, like they have for all their other consoles? Then why did they make a new marketing campaign last fall and bundle the Vita with the PS4 (which I read boosted sales a good margin).?

There are quite a few articles and some analysts who are either calling  for/ claiming /or stating that the Wii U should be discontinued soon, which if that that is the case, the same logic should easily be applied to Vita.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/11/10/nintendo-could-be-forced-to-discontinue-the-wii-u/

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/11/10/investment-site-says-nintendo-could-be-forced-to-discontinue-the-wii-u-next-year/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-17-nintendo-should-get-out-of-the-wii-business-pachter

I do not see  how FFX will sell on par or better with a smaller userbase of 25% when that number is continuing to expand as Vita  N.A weekly numbers pale in comparison to Japan. 

While I am aware that FPS are not system sellers for handhelds, I don't believe that they were expecting such mediocre sales for Killzone, when the terrible Black Ops Declassified is nearing almost 900K. The problem with the games you mentioned is that they still would have a significant enough dev cost. When a launch game like Uncharted sells so poorly compared to expectations and has to be hevily bundled to reach 1 mill. That speaks volumes. Unless you are aware or have some statistics for dev costs because with the amount of polish that Golden Abyss had, it doesn't seem likely that a significant profit was made from it.

As for the Vita bundle I don't beleive it increased sales that greatly, unless there are some statistics you can provide for this? Also from what I recall the price point wasn't very attractive as in the UK for example there was only a $10 discount when purchasing the bundle. It's not that I do not believe that it cannot sell more than 11 million. This thread is about the possibility of it being discontinued if current sales trends continue. Plus it's partial revenge for all the Nintendo doom and gloom articles :)

Wow about those WiiU articles, but I think you mentioned it as well, you also think it's unlikely.

As for FFX, you misread, the NA userbase is 75% as large as Japan (25% less). Even if it doesn't sell as well in USA as it does in Japan, the combined USA/EU number will be greater then Japan.

As for Golden Abyss, I can't find anything saying it generated a profit, but it cost a lot less to develop then a regular Uncharted game, and even if they don't make a profit off the software, it's very likely that the boost in hardware sales did generate a profit. As for developing a God of War or whatever game for Vita, development costs are probably small. If they weren't Sly Cooper, PSASBR, and Dragons Crown would not have been PS3/PSV releases.

As for the Vita-PS4 bundle, the figure is a 68% increase in PSV sales (for USA I assume) - http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/12/19/ps4-launch-boosts-ps-vita-sales

Either way anything can happen, but don't be surprised if Vita ends up with 12-15 million lifetime. P.S. I might be on a limb out here, but I'm expecting WiiU to get Gamecube level sales. I do think sales will explode when Mario Kart or Wii Sports releases, and if not, I'm going to look forward to a lot of great AAA Nintendo games, just like the Gamecube and N64 had.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
Michael-5 said:

Wow about those WiiU articles, but I think you mentioned it as well, you also think it's unlikely.

As for FFX, you misread, the NA userbase is 75% as large as Japan (25% less). Even if it doesn't sell as well in USA as it does in Japan, the combined USA/EU number will be greater then Japan.

As for Golden Abyss, I can't find anything saying it generated a profit, but it cost a lot less to develop then a regular Uncharted game, and even if they don't make a profit off the software, it's very likely that the boost in hardware sales did generate a profit. As for developing a God of War or whatever game for Vita, development costs are probably small. If they weren't Sly Cooper, PSASBR, and Dragons Crown would not have been PS3/PSV releases.

As for the Vita-PS4 bundle, the figure is a 68% increase in PSV sales (for USA I assume) - http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/12/19/ps4-launch-boosts-ps-vita-sales

Either way anything can happen, but don't be surprised if Vita ends up with 12-15 million lifetime. P.S. I might be on a limb out here, but I'm expecting WiiU to get Gamecube level sales. I do think sales will explode when Mario Kart or Wii Sports releases, and if not, I'm going to look forward to a lot of great AAA Nintendo games, just like the Gamecube and N64 had.

It's not even that there were ridiculous articles made, it's the fact that people were actually agreeing with the nonesense.

I did not misunderstand good sir! I wrote North America is only 25% less then the number of Vita's in Japan, which is the same thing. You could be right and combined N.A/ EU sales could be greater but that would probably still only put it little over a mill which would not be very well for an FF game.

68% is a nice boost, but I believe they were referring to UK as it was MCV who reported the data. When the increase is only a matter of a few thousand units, it is a lot less impressive. For example when Nintendo reported a 340% increase from October -November. It sound great but then you look at the actually numbers and all you can do is shake your head.

Uncharted probably increased sales as the game is stellar but as for profits that depends. Sony usually sells their hardware at a loss. Nintendo followed trend  this generation as well. Now, I realize the profit margin and cost of console vs handheld is different but if the Wii U will it's 5.5 million sold and 19.54 mill units of software is not enough to make a profit to cover the cost of those losses, than is Vita's 7.3 million with it's 19.53 million units able to? I guess without the act numbers for hardware vs Sony's profit margin on handheld games we'll never know.

12-15 million lifetime is a very reasonable estimate for the VIta, I cannot argue with that. The question is will Sony end up replacing it prior to it reaching those numbers if the sales trend continues. We all thought the people claiming Wii U would sell under 10 mill it's first year were crazy. The shitt thing is it turned out they were right and alot of people in this thread who made belligerant remarks are forgetting that (Thank you for being civil).

Nintendo has the possibility of surpassing GC (not by much) due to the mass market appeal that MK and Smash Bros has gained over the years. The only question with that is if Wii U has not completely lost relevancy by that point/ they finally begin to properly market the console and if they bundle each game for next holiday season. (another $50 price drop would help also).

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

It's not even that there were ridiculous articles made, it's the fact that people were actually agreeing with the nonesense.

I did not misunderstand good sir! I wrote North America is only 25% less then the number of Vita's in Japan, which is the same thing. You could be right and combined N.A/ EU sales could be greater but that would probably still only put it little over a mill which would not be very well for an FF game.

68% is a nice boost, but I believe they were referring to UK as it was MCV who reported the data. When the increase is only a matter of a few thousand units, it is a lot less impressive. For example when Nintendo reported a 340% increase from October -November. It sound great but then you look at the actually numbers and all you can do is shake your head.

Uncharted probably increased sales as the game is stellar but as for profits that depends. Sony usually sells their hardware at a loss. Nintendo followed trend  this generation as well. Now, I realize the profit margin and cost of console vs handheld is different but if the Wii U will it's 5.5 million sold and 19.54 mill units of software is not enough to make a profit to cover the cost of those losses, than is Vita's 7.3 million with it's 19.53 million units able to? I guess without the act numbers for hardware vs Sony's profit margin on handheld games we'll never know.

12-15 million lifetime is a very reasonable estimate for the VIta, I cannot argue with that. The question is will Sony end up replacing it prior to it reaching those numbers if the sales trend continues. We all thought the people claiming Wii U would sell under 10 mill it's first year were crazy. The shitt thing is it turned out they were right and alot of people in this thread who made belligerant remarks are forgetting that (Thank you for being civil).

Nintendo has the possibility of surpassing GC (not by much) due to the mass market appeal that MK and Smash Bros has gained over the years. The only question with that is if Wii U has not completely lost relevancy by that point/ they finally begin to properly market the console and if they bundle each game for next holiday season. (another $50 price drop would help also).

You wrote "I do not see  how FFX will sell on par or better with a smaller userbase of 25%" Anyway, you get what I mean though. 1 million for a Final Fantasy remake on a handheld is actually pretty good. Below are the numbers all previous FF remakes have done in the past

1.19 million - FF I & II (GBA)
1.17 million - FF IV (DS)
1.11 million - FF Tactics (PSP)
0.61 million - FF IV (GBA)
0.57 million - FF I (PSP)
0.50 million - FF IV (PSP)
0.47 million - FF II (PSP)

In 5/7 of these cases the game also sold more units in USA alone.

Also in Japan the best 3 selling FF remakes are

FFIII - 1.07 million
FFIV - 0.62 million
FFT - 0.30 million

So to sell over 0.5 million is good for an FF game. Even if the game sold only 0.1 million outside of Japan, the game still generates a profit to sell.

As for the PSV/PS4 bundle, what countries does MCV track? outside of Japan Vita's numbers weren't that low, and regardless. A 68% boost is still a 68% boost. As for the WiiU, November is always a much bigger month then October, and it did have Super Mario 3D World which did a world of good for Nintendo.

For Uncharted, I'm pretty sure the Vita & WiiU are sold at a profit now, and I doubt Uncharted for Vita was sold at a loss. 1 million is not bad for a handheld game.

As for the future, I don't think Sony will discontinue the Vita, not for a few years. As for the WiiU, it could top Gamecube sales, but only because a consoles lifetime now is longer. Gamecube sold about 6 million during its 3rd fiscal year, I don't think WiiU will see those numbers. WiiU sales have already crashed, and are only doing 10% better then in 2013 (53k for this week, 48 k for the same week last year). Overall I do expect a good boost from Mario Kart and Smash Bros, but 6 million would mean a 100% growth (sold 3 million last year) and the most I see is a 33-66% growth (4-5 million).

However, since peoples comments on WiiU have brought you down, here is an article to cheer you up. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/01/17/does-it-really-matter-if-the-wii-u-fails

Two points I want to mention with this article. 1. Wii & DS generated such a large profit, Nintendo could continue developing and selling consoles at a loss for 20-30 years without issue. They have 10 billion in the bank.... 2. Gamecube & N64 were lolw volume consoles, but weren't the games still awesome? Unlike Sony and the Vita, Nintendo supports all their consoles well, even if sales are meh.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Around the Network
Nirvana_Nut85 said: "Untiy engine will not be anything significant for the Vita. Sure we will see alot more indie developed titles but at the end of the day it will have the same impact as it did for the Wii U."

really? you just sat there and said that? 1st of all the WiiU unity 3D development is not like it is in development costs and team size are not going to be the same, and the WiiU does not share the same GPU as the iPad, while the PSVita does! there is a very big problem in just looking at them as the same outcome because the WiiU had Unity 3D also.

Unity Pro for consoles

Platform-holder-certified companies already use Unity Pro to develop content for Xbox 360, and PS3 and deployment to Wii U will be available very soon. Unity has also announced upcoming support for PS4, PS Vita and Xbox One.

https://store.unity3d.com/products/pricing

now look at team sizes required for both consoles, the WiiU would require most times a larger team size!

the fact is the PSVita can run cross buy games PS3/PSVita the same game on PSN buy once it works on both platforms, there already games doing that on psn. with unity it will only increase more. the fact that the PSVita shares more in common with smartphones an tablets means porting from iOS and Android means unlike nintendo's WiiU, The PSVita will benefit by more 3rd party developer's on iOS and Android. again unlike Nintendo Sony's PSVita share's common Hardware chipset as the High end Best selling SmartPhones and Tablets, that makes the porting Option that much more of and incentive, that the WiiU just does not have that Incentive vs the PSVita when it comes to Unity 3D game engine. The PSVita has the advantage over the WiiU for cost's/investment and reaping a much higher return on that investment because it would be far cheaper. iOS and Android 3rd party developer's will have a much cheaper investment to port to the PSVita vs what it  would take for the WiiU.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

of course

joeorc said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said: "Untiy engine will not be anything significant for the Vita. Sure we will see alot more indie developed titles but at the end of the day it will have the same impact as it did for the Wii U."

really? you just sat there and said that? 1st of all the WiiU unity 3D development is not like it is in development costs and team size are not going to be the same, and the WiiU does not share the same GPU as the iPad, while the PSVita does! there is a very big problem in just looking at them as the same outcome because the WiiU had Unity 3D also.

Unity Pro for consoles

Platform-holder-certified companies already use Unity Pro to develop content for Xbox 360, and PS3 and deployment to Wii U will be available very soon. Unity has also announced upcoming support for PS4, PS Vita and Xbox One.

https://store.unity3d.com/products/pricing

now look at team sizes required for both consoles, the WiiU would require most times a larger team size!

the fact is the PSVita can run cross buy games PS3/PSVita the same game on PSN buy once it works on both platforms, there already games doing that on psn. with unity it will only increase more. the fact that the PSVita shares more in common with smartphones an tablets means porting from iOS and Android means unlike nintendo's WiiU, The PSVita will benefit by more 3rd party developer's on iOS and Android. again unlike Nintendo Sony's PSVita share's common Hardware chipset as the High end Best selling SmartPhones and Tablets, that makes the porting Option that much more of and incentive, that the WiiU just does not have that Incentive vs the PSVita when it comes to Unity 3D game engine. The PSVita has the advantage over the WiiU for cost's/investment and reaping a much higher return on that investment because it would be far cheaper. iOS and Android 3rd party developer's will have a much cheaper investment to port to the PSVita vs what it  would take for the WiiU.

When I state that the "Untiy engine will not be anything significant for the Vita" I was simply referring to the impact in sales for the system itself. I'm sure it will create a better ecosystem of indie content, however, having a good lineup of iOS and Adroid games is not going to be a deciding factor when a consumer goes to make a purchase. I should have my comment a little more clear as it seems you misunderstood the point I was attempting to make.

Michael-5 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

You wrote "I do not see  how FFX will sell on par or better with a smaller userbase of 25%" Anyway, you get what I mean though. 1 million for a Final Fantasy remake on a handheld is actually pretty good. Below are the numbers all previous FF remakes have done in the past

1.19 million - FF I & II (GBA)
1.17 million - FF IV (DS)
1.11 million - FF Tactics (PSP)
0.61 million - FF IV (GBA)
0.57 million - FF I (PSP)
0.50 million - FF IV (PSP)
0.47 million - FF II (PSP)

In 5/7 of these cases the game also sold more units in USA alone.

Also in Japan the best 3 selling FF remakes are

FFIII - 1.07 million
FFIV - 0.62 million
FFT - 0.30 million

So to sell over 0.5 million is good for an FF game. Even if the game sold only 0.1 million outside of Japan, the game still generates a profit to sell.

As for the PSV/PS4 bundle, what countries does MCV track? outside of Japan Vita's numbers weren't that low, and regardless. A 68% boost is still a 68% boost. As for the WiiU, November is always a much bigger month then October, and it did have Super Mario 3D World which did a world of good for Nintendo.

For Uncharted, I'm pretty sure the Vita & WiiU are sold at a profit now, and I doubt Uncharted for Vita was sold at a loss. 1 million is not bad for a handheld game.

As for the future, I don't think Sony will discontinue the Vita, not for a few years. As for the WiiU, it could top Gamecube sales, but only because a consoles lifetime now is longer. Gamecube sold about 6 million during its 3rd fiscal year, I don't think WiiU will see those numbers. WiiU sales have already crashed, and are only doing 10% better then in 2013 (53k for this week, 48 k for the same week last year). Overall I do expect a good boost from Mario Kart and Smash Bros, but 6 million would mean a 100% growth (sold 3 million last year) and the most I see is a 33-66% growth (4-5 million).

However, since peoples comments on WiiU have brought you down, here is an article to cheer you up. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/01/17/does-it-really-matter-if-the-wii-u-fails

Two points I want to mention with this article. 1. Wii & DS generated such a large profit, Nintendo could continue developing and selling consoles at a loss for 20-30 years without issue. They have 10 billion in the bank.... 2. Gamecube & N64 were lolw volume consoles, but weren't the games still awesome? Unlike Sony and the Vita, Nintendo supports all their consoles well, even if sales are meh.

You make good points in regards to the FFX sales, I was just expecting much better 1st week figures, even if the Vita does have a smaller install base. Considering FFX is more of a legacy title, it is sort of expected to do better than the previous remakes, hence why I would consider it more of a failure if it only sold on par with the previous entries. 

As for MCV, I believe that is the UK, which only say an increase of several thousand units per week with the PS4 release. Again, it's a boost but not an impressive one in my opinion.

Wii U is still being sold as a loss and the software is clearly not making up the difference as per the financial loss that Nintendo is estimating for it's fiscal year. I'm sure Uncharted itself made a profit for the developer and yes 1 million is reasonable for protable sales, my only question is that is the Vita still being sold at a loss itself and are software sales significant enough overall in order to turn a profit itself for Sony vs what the are losing. 

Your estimates are fair on the Wii U, 6 million would be a stretch but it they managed another 5 million (we'll have to see if MK/SB are still relevant to the average consumer), that would at least create a comfortable enough install base to start driving decent enough sales that some 3rd parties may decide to start releasing the odd title here and there. I'm not necessarily down about articles/ threads etc. I'm more annoyed if anything. Therefore these recent Sony threads I've created (GT6 fail/PSV)are more along the lines of trying to annoy certain people back (the Nintendo doom and gloomers). The funny thing is, they swarm like flies on shit when it comes to the Nintendo one's but are nowhere to be found when there is a negative Sony thread.

P.S I'm not a huge Keza fan but I have to admit that was a well written/insight article (then again, it could just be that I have my fanboy glasses on!)

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

You make good points in regards to the FFX sales, I was just expecting much better 1st week figures, even if the Vita does have a smaller install base. Considering FFX is more of a legacy title, it is sort of expected to do better than the previous remakes, hence why I would consider it more of a failure if it only sold on par with the previous entries. 

As for MCV, I believe that is the UK, which only say an increase of several thousand units per week with the PS4 release. Again, it's a boost but not an impressive one in my opinion.

Wii U is still being sold as a loss and the software is clearly not making up the difference as per the financial loss that Nintendo is estimating for it's fiscal year. I'm sure Uncharted itself made a profit for the developer and yes 1 million is reasonable for protable sales, my only question is that is the Vita still being sold at a loss itself and are software sales significant enough overall in order to turn a profit itself for Sony vs what the are losing. 

Your estimates are fair on the Wii U, 6 million would be a stretch but it they managed another 5 million (we'll have to see if MK/SB are still relevant to the average consumer), that would at least create a comfortable enough install base to start driving decent enough sales that some 3rd parties may decide to start releasing the odd title here and there. I'm not necessarily down about articles/ threads etc. I'm more annoyed if anything. Therefore these recent Sony threads I've created (GT6 fail/PSV)are more along the lines of trying to annoy certain people back (the Nintendo doom and gloomers). The funny thing is, they swarm like flies on shit when it comes to the Nintendo one's but are nowhere to be found when there is a negative Sony thread.

P.S I'm not a huge Keza fan but I have to admit that was a well written/insight article (then again, it could just be that I have my fanboy glasses on!)

Why would you expect FFX to do any better then FF 4-6 for GBA? Both FFX and FF4-6 released about 10 years after the game released on consoles, and both games see minor changes to the handheld port. Plus with only 7 million Vita's compred to 70 million GBA's (at the time FF's launched), that's pretty damn good that FFX is managing to outsell those previous iterations.

I dunno if WiiU is still selling at a loss. They said the 8GB $299 version was sold at a loss at launch, but that loss becomes a profit after 2 games are sold. WiiU is still $299 (but with a 32GB Flash drive), production costs must have gone down.

With Vita, even if it's being sold at a loss, Sony won't discontinue it early. If Sony discontinues early, they may as well drop out of the handheld market, and I know Sony doesn't want that (but they could make pretty awesome SmartPhones). Sega was going through a tougher time with the Saturn, so long as Vita's sell, Sony will keep supporting it, even if it's only to give them a better chance come 9th gen hand helds.

As for the WiiU article, I think it made some good points. Nintendo profited 18 billion last gen, where Sony only made 2 billion, and MS 3 billion. Sega never had that kind of success, they only really had 1 semi-successful gen. Plus there is a convoluted story as to why they went bankrupt, the big reason was the Sega Saturn (developed by Sega Japan, in secret, without letting Sega NA know, and launching it very very poorly and suddenly).

Nintendo isn't going anywhere, not with 3DS looking to sell 80+ million units lifetime, and not after Wii + DS sold 250 million units combined in 7 years.