By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Vita Outsell Sega's GameGear LTD?

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
jonathanalis said:
it will pass gamecube eventually.

At this point that is being very generous. Current sales nor upcoming game releases justify that amount.

Sony consoles have legs, they last for many yers.

Sony showed very focused in ps4, but now it knows that ps4 is already a success. They will focus more on Vita eventually. Also, PS4 integration maybe can help it(imagine all japonese people who love handheld gaming, they can play their ps4 anywhere with a vita). I think they will sell more in 2014 an peak at 4m in 2015. Until 2020, GC mark is possible to pass by.

Ok, maybe im generous. But i hope so. I wish to all consoles to succed.

Around the Network
Scisca said:

@Scisca

100% exactly, why would Sony themselves pull early and kill the only real Living room entertainment Hub extender Handheld device built from the ground up for living room extended games , when Sony has invested so much into streaming, and remote access functionality? 

Many keep saying Sony will pull the PSVita off the shelves, and that has been said even last year, and yet here we are still here the PSVita despite not selling as well as the Nintendo 3DS there are the retail stores are still reordering more PSVita's!

Nintendo is #1 place by a wide margin in the dedicated handheld space, but the blunt truth is Sony is still the 2nd largest market share holder in dedicated handheld game systems space! the Wikipad, the Archos Game Pad, hell even the Nvidia shield come no where near close to Sony's market share %.

So many still seem to think that the 2nd place market share holder in this part of the handheld game system market is going to up and quit on the PSVita?

Sony invested way too much to pull the product, after the cost's involved in GaiKai, remote play investment, playstation Mobile,PSVita TV and also setting up a indie Pub fund, and that they are just going to up and Quit all that and let that investment go to waste?

1st thing's 1st, the ps4 games can be streamed to the PSVita by local, and by over the internet, add in Playstation Now to the mix, add in playstation Mobile Game's. why would  the majority of the largest  3rd party's invest into making an exclusive for the psvita right now, when the most cost effective point now is just make it for the PS4 the PSVita and the PSVita TV will pretty much get the game by default. Hey it works for microsoft ; example with TitanFall aslo on the PC and the xbox360 many on here still count it as a Microsoft exclusive! 

So now the PSVita will be able to run PS1,PS2,PSP,PS3,PS4 AND Playstation Mobile Games and PSVita games on one Handheld.

the mere fact is right now the unity 3d game engine was just made ready to use for the PSVita now, and since the PSVita also has the same GPU that the iPad 3 has but with a faster clock rate and a hell of alot of dedicated video ram, the PSVita can get ports from the iOS and Android App store for a much lower cost of investment.

its a waiting game that the PSVita is more than viable to handle any and every freaking game or app that would be released on Apple's and Google's app store for the next 5 to 8 years anyway. because no other handheld has 128 MB of dedicated GPU  video ram other than the PSVita, that means the platform was not just made for the here and now it was made for the market like a living room game console is but for the mobile market. no other mobile handheld device will be able to out perform in gaming against the PSVita unless Nintendo wants to loose a boat load of money on their handhelds. by then the PSVita will still be cheaper and the network would be more robust.

the Nintendo 3DS has 6 MB of dedicated GPU ram for its PICA 200 GPU, Nintendo sold the handheld for quick profit why would they disrupt that design of charging higher premium for lower COST HARDWARE  investment.?

Sony and Nintendo did not set the handheld systems to the same market in the same way:

Sony:

is taking a PARTICIPATORY APPROACH TO PLANNING WITH EVERY PLAYSTATION AND IT SHOWS BOTH WITH THE PSVITA, THE PS4 AND THE NETWORK THEY ARE INVESTING INTO.

after the market viability perception of Sony handhelds after the PSP, just look at the PSPGo, than the Xperia Play, Now the PSVita, many consumer felt Sony's support for the PSP was lack luster, and both the PSPGo and the Xperia Play was seen as a direct and utter flop, so further erosion of the perception of a Playstation Game handheld, add in smartphones and even Tablets it was not going to ever be in any way shape or form an easy climb for Sony. but Sony did not want to be the only company out of the big three without a living room extension platform, Nintendo has the WiiU game pad, Microsoft has Smartglass, and Sony has the PSVita. now out of all three companies who has invested more resources into making remote access and remote play with a very real and evident step toward really making sure your living room game console entertainment  can be taken on the go over the internet or local network.

Its clear all three have to some extent . Add in Google, Apple, samsung, Time Warner, At&t with Uverse, all have remote access to your content via a living room box to your handheld. An People think Sony would have no choice but to pull the PSVita?

even if its only 50,000 units or less a week, its still 50,000 units of a handheld @ over $150.00+

Its one thing ;is  if the retail chains do not order again, but until that happens the PSVita is still being distributed into the market. Sony has no real reason to pull it when they invested so much into the network's that make the most use out of the PSVita anyway. Not just to sell games and app's but also invest into a functionality of remote access to that content of your living room, why invest into Playstation Now only for one of their platforms?

which pretty much every content creative company is doing so already. Saying Sony is going to pull that platform without forced retail revoke of such platform is pretty silly idea at this point.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

jonathanalis said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
jonathanalis said:
it will pass gamecube eventually.

At this point that is being very generous. Current sales nor upcoming game releases justify that amount.

Sony consoles have legs, they last for many yers.

Sony showed very focused in ps4, but now it knows that ps4 is already a success. They will focus more on Vita eventually. Also, PS4 integration maybe can help it(imagine all japonese people who love handheld gaming, they can play their ps4 anywhere with a vita). I think they will sell more in 2014 an peak at 4m in 2015. Until 2020, GC mark is possible to pass by.

Ok, maybe im generous. But i hope so. I wish to all consoles to succed.

I myself hope for the success of all consoles as well. Competition always leads to greater creativity and we wouldn't want Nintendo getting lazy on the portable side of hings. Given that, I can't see Sony justifying production into 2020. This will most likely be the peak year for Vita sales, with a gradual incline thereafter, which is why I've drawn the plausibility of the console itself being discontinued and possibility falling short of GameGears ltd.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

I can't see Sony justifying production into 2020. This will most likely be the peak year for Vita sales, with a gradual incline thereafter, which is why I've drawn the plausibility of the console itself being discontinued and possibility falling short of GameGears ltd.

i see where you are going with this, but I think many are not taking into accout the ways that Sony can penetrate the PSVita into the market!

Take for instance, if you were just counting the PSVita by itself that would be one thing, but Sony could indeed install a PSVita hardware into a LCD TV, the

PSVita TV has yet to release in the west yet.

They could indeed bundle the PSVita TV with a PS4 as a bundle maybe even for as low as $50.00 more in 2015 with a PS4.

all playstation Vita's contain the exact same cpu/gpu chipset so its formfactor may change but the software can run on all of them.

PSVita is Sony's ver of the

intel nuc htpc

or

Apple's   Apple TV

the fact that not even into the full 2nd year on the market Sony already had the PSVita TV ready to go, already talked about Playstation Suite right on stage day and date taking up event time for the NGP or PSVita as it is known now. the fact the PSVita TV was released so fact to the market just intime for Gaikai, and playstation Now investment, and you really think Sony invested all that money to pull any playstation Vita soon?

Better yet, is there any sign clear sign that the PSVita is being pulled fast like the PSPGo was or the Xperia Play? Not by Numer's but by a sheer number of retail outlets that refust to carry the PSVita? until that happens than its pretty much a moot point than.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

There's actually nothing at the moment to suggest Vita's imminent demise or removal from sale. It's 150% up year on year in Japan.

I fear rumours of Vita's death are being greatly exaggerated in order to feel better about the fact that it's direct rival's manufacturer is already suggesting a change of direction in their own business.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

We have to send a mail to Sony explaining that we want games and no more ports from PC/PS3/phones.

It's cool that we can play PS4 on Vita but I didn't buy the console only for that..

Sony have amazing IP's that they don't use anymore, for example: Medievil, Legend of Dragoon, Omega Boost...

Then, some GTA/Gran Turismo only on Vita and include the memory card with the console (4gb or 8gb).

PD: If my english is bad sorry :D

Easily.

pspain said:
We have to send a mail to Sony explaining that we want games and no more ports from PC/PS3/phones.

It's cool that we can play PS4 on Vita but I didn't buy the console only for that..

Sony have amazing IP's that they don't use anymore, for example: Medievil, Legend of Dragoon, Omega Boost...

Then, some GTA/Gran Turismo only on Vita and include the memory card with the console (4gb or 8gb).

AGAIN 

what incentive will 3rd party developer's get to make an exclusive for the PSVita ?

when the PSVita can already run PS4 Game via local network or cross play using streaming model or digital distribution.

indies are where SONY is concentrating development resources for the PSVita right now, because again with lil to no real increased cost above the investment for the PS4 game they can get it to run on the PSVita as a bonus, the lower investment cheaper team size, and can get exclusives, AAA games are just going to be ports for the mean time until the install base grows!

the PSVita is MARKET SHAPE akin to the PS3 in its early years despite the hardware that is in it, many consumer do not want to pay the price for it, as for support developer's are just as happy to have the same game streamed to the PSVita from local, or Playstation Now than invest a large chunk to a team size just to make that AAA exclusive which can take 12 to 18 months/game. unlike most mobile devices, the hardware inside the PSVita is more resistant to having the need to upgrade like a smartphone or tablet because the hardware is made to be on the market far longer in its support cycle than a smartphone or Tablet is.

its pretty much Hurry up and wait , sadly that was the same with the PS3 and it looks to be the same with the PSVita.

though with Unity 3D game engine now open to the PSVita more games will be coming, and its like the unreal engine for mobile devices as is the unreal engine is for pc'S.

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
pspain said:

AGAIN 

what incentive will 3rd party developer's get to make an exclusive for the PSVita ?

when the PSVita can already run PS4 Game via local network or cross play using streaming model or digital distribution.

indies are where SONY is concentrating development resources for the PSVita right now, because again with lil to no real increased cost above the investment for the PS4 game they can get it to run on the PSVita as a bonus, the lower investment cheaper team size, and can get exclusives, AAA games are just going to be ports for the mean time until the install base grows!

the PSVita is MARKET SHAPE akin to the PS3 in its early years despite the hardware that is in it, many consumer do not want to pay the price for it, as for support developer's are just as happy to have the same game streamed to the PSVita from local, or Playstation Now than invest a large chunk to a team size just to make that AAA exclusive which can take 12 to 18 months/game. unlike most mobile devices, the hardware inside the PSVita is more resistant to having the need to upgrade like a smartphone or tablet because the hardware is made to be on the market far longer in its support cycle than a smartphone or Tablet is.

its pretty much Hurry up and wait , sadly that was the same with the PS3 and it looks to be the same with the PSVita.

though with Unity 3D game engine now open to the PSVita more games will be coming, and its like the unreal engine for mobile devices as is the unreal engine is for pc'S.

Persona 4 sold very well on PSVita, it did better than ps2 version I think...

if 3rd parties don't support Vita, Sony should release more games. More exclusive games = more Vita sold. 

Metacritic all time highest score: persona4, littlebigplanet, tearaway, gravity rush, ys and 100000 indi + ports. That's the problem with this console, no one buys it because there are no games. Yes you can play, ps4 and ps1, and ps+ games but that's not enough.

For me, the stratagy Sony is following with Vita is wrong, if they focus on indies and ports then release vita + memory card for 200$!

pspain said:

Persona 4 sold very well on PSVita, it did better than ps2 version I think...

if 3rd parties don't support Vita, Sony should release more games. More exclusive games = more Vita sold. 

Metacritic all time highest score: persona4, littlebigplanet, tearaway, gravity rush, ys and 100000 indi + ports. That's the problem with this console, no one buys it because there are no games. Yes you can play, ps4 and ps1, and ps+ games but that's not enough.

For me, the stratagy Sony is following with Vita is wrong, if they focus on indies and ports then release vita + memory card for 200$!

what you stated is true, but you also have to look at this in a blunt fact that Sony may not have the man power for those PSVita projects just yet, with PS3 still getting games worked on, the ps4, take into account Support building Gaikai, the purchase of the new cmos chip  plant, the upkeep and server investment into Playstation Now, and PSN than tack on Playstation Mobile, Playstation Home, add in to top it all off PSVita TV getting geared up for a west region release. Japan 1st party developer's making PS3, ps4 GAMES WITH THE COST'S AND EXPENSES TO OPERATE. They only have so much. they can support the PSVita better by 1st party means when PS3 gets put to a 3rd tier platform FOR SONY HELL WITH THE ps4 IN SUCH HIGH DEMAND, and the PS4 having quite a number of projects in the pipeline, right now i doubt they could spare the team size needed. you do know that in order to get a game like uncharted on the PSVita the team size was not typical of a mobile development Game? right in man power needed?

a game like that can take anywhere from 12 to 18 months some times even more time. yes you could put out faster games, and with Unity 3D game engine now fully vetted for the PSVita 3rd game party development for Exclusives will only further increase. and a much faster rate because the same GPU that's in the iPad 3 slightly faster in the PSVita over the iPad 3 already uses Unity 3D!

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/01/15/playstation-vita-deployment-is-here/

its no where near as grim for the PSVita as many seem to think it is, that by the way is one of the largest indie development pool center's in the world over 300,000+ developer pool!

I AM BOLO

ps: