By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Vita Outsell Sega's GameGear LTD?

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

It is completely fine that you disagree with me, and I would disagree that your better at numbers. We all can manipulate numbers to make the appearance that they look better than they actually are. As I explained earlier if you go by the launch date to the same week ending the following year (Dec 17th 2011- Dec 16th 2012) which is 1 full year since availability the Vita moved 1.07mill. From Dec 16th 2012 - Dec 13th 2013 it sold 1.15 mill which as I explained earlier is only a 7% increase YoY .

Unfortunately we can only guestimate at this point for E.U & N.A as we are not in the 3rd week of February but lets use current numbers to make an asssumption. From 1 full year after launch E.U numbers were 1.57 mill, since then it has only moved an additional 810k. Now lets be generous and say it manages and and average of 40k per week, for 7 weeks following bring it to  1.09mill for it's 2nd full year since launch. That is a decline of 31%. Bring it over to North America where the vita's first full year on the market since launch is 1.24 mill. Using the same formula as last time I am going to be generous and say the Vita averages 30k per week for the next 7 weeks. That would only bring the 2nd year total from launch to 650K or a 45% decline from the previous year.

How I came to the initial 30% sales decline in one of my originating arguments was due to including the the 2 weeks of Japan launch in 2011 (in my first year total) as N.A & EU did not launch until late Feb. So including the 2 weeks in December with the vita's first full year, compared to it's second year, we saw a 30% decline.

Either way you look at it there is a plausibility that the Vita could be discontinued before it reaches 11 million. That's not to say that companies stop releasing software, especially if the attach rate ends up high and profits are made. I believe that alot of Sony fans are just being way to optimistic given the data provided and if it does manage to pass the GameGear in sales, then it won't be by a significant amount.

Thanks for a mostly good response :)

The reason why our numbers are different is because you're starting your year in the mid of Dec, instead of just going for the 52 weeks in 12 and 13. The huge difference is from the fact you're including the Vita's launch in 2012 while I'm not. It sold a ton of units for the first week which is throwing off your comparison. An easy way to show this is with this chart: http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Japan&start_year=2010&end_year=2013&console=PSV

You're throwing in the launch December for 2012 and removing half of a great December for 2013. Horribly misleading way to do it. Your stats give you just a 7% increase yoy, while for the month of December it was up 274%. For the last 6 months of the year it was up 134%. For the full year of 2013 it was up 92%. Yes we can all manipulate numbers to make them say what we want, but I don't have to. Every way you look at it, except yours, shows a huge YOY increase.

In the US and EU, I again went 12 verse 13, not first 52 weeks verse second 52. It made my comparison much harsher on Vita than it should have, but I wasn't going to argue that the Vita isn't dropping fast in America and going nowhere in Europe. My point was that Japan alone makes your "it's past its peak year and going down 30% yearly" argument wrong. In the west that certainly looks to be true, but in Japan it's making a comeback.

It's going to easily pass GameGear in lifetime sales, and has a good chance in doing it this year. I think you're just being way to pessimistic ;)

Around the Network

(1) Sony has pledged massive backing to the Indie community as last E3 and there has been allot of solid titles released in the last 3 month that accounts for the Vita's solid sales ending 2013.
(2) Sony stated that the PS4 & Vita were developed with each other in mind, and the PS4 has only been released post 2 months now. I think this year we will see if the PS4/ Vita combination that Sony was aiming for pans out as planned.
(3) Just in case you missed it 1st time around, THIS LIST ................ http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/16/the-top-30-playstation-vita-games-of-2014

JoeTheBro said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

It is completely fine that you disagree with me, and I would disagree that your better at numbers. We all can manipulate numbers to make the appearance that they look better than they actually are. As I explained earlier if you go by the launch date to the same week ending the following year (Dec 17th 2011- Dec 16th 2012) which is 1 full year since availability the Vita moved 1.07mill. From Dec 16th 2012 - Dec 13th 2013 it sold 1.15 mill which as I explained earlier is only a 7% increase YoY .

Unfortunately we can only guestimate at this point for E.U & N.A as we are not in the 3rd week of February but lets use current numbers to make an asssumption. From 1 full year after launch E.U numbers were 1.57 mill, since then it has only moved an additional 810k. Now lets be generous and say it manages and and average of 40k per week, for 7 weeks following bring it to  1.09mill for it's 2nd full year since launch. That is a decline of 31%. Bring it over to North America where the vita's first full year on the market since launch is 1.24 mill. Using the same formula as last time I am going to be generous and say the Vita averages 30k per week for the next 7 weeks. That would only bring the 2nd year total from launch to 650K or a 45% decline from the previous year.

How I came to the initial 30% sales decline in one of my originating arguments was due to including the the 2 weeks of Japan launch in 2011 (in my first year total) as N.A & EU did not launch until late Feb. So including the 2 weeks in December with the vita's first full year, compared to it's second year, we saw a 30% decline.

Either way you look at it there is a plausibility that the Vita could be discontinued before it reaches 11 million. That's not to say that companies stop releasing software, especially if the attach rate ends up high and profits are made. I believe that alot of Sony fans are just being way to optimistic given the data provided and if it does manage to pass the GameGear in sales, then it won't be by a significant amount.

The reason why our numbers are different is because you're starting your year in the mid of Dec, instead of just going for the 52 weeks in 12 and 13. The huge difference is from the fact you're including the Vita's launch in 2012 while I'm not. It sold a ton of units for the first week which is throwing off your comparison. An easy way to show this is with this chart: http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Japan&start_year=2010&end_year=2013&console=PSV

You're throwing in the launch December for 2012 and removing half of a great December for 2013. Horribly misleading way to do it. Your stats give you just a 7% increase yoy, while for the month of December it was up 274%. For the last 6 months of the year it was up 134%. For the full year of 2013 it was up 92%. Yes we can all manipulate numbers to make them say what we want, but I don't have to. Every way you look at it, except yours, shows a huge YOY increase.

In the US and EU, I again went 12 verse 13, not first 52 weeks verse second 52. It made my comparison much harsher on Vita than it should have, but I wasn't going to argue that the Vita isn't dropping fast in America and going nowhere in Europe. My point was that Japan alone makes your "it's past its peak year and going down 30% yearly" argument wrong. In the west that certainly looks to be true, but in Japan it's making a comeback.

It's going to easily pass GameGear in lifetime sales, and has a good chance in doing it this year. I think you're just being way to pessimistic ;)

My argument and the way I presented my numbers is not necessarily wrong. I recall many a doom and gloom article in November that provided first full year numbers for the Wii U. I also believe there were threads pertaining to sales of Wii U's first year on this site as well one it had reached it's first full year on the market. It seem figures however are subjective when it comes to a person's console of choice. I stick by the figures I've posted and the possible outcomes I've drawn.

I feel it is much more of a fair comparison to go from launch week to the same week ending the following year and count that as yearly sales. I also provided two methods that do not show an overall increase. Are they a bit manipulative? Of course they are. Does that necessarily mean they are incorrect? Not really.Unfortunately we're just going to have to wait this out in order to determine whether or not my estimates are as insane as some of you claim

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
JoeTheBro said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

My argument and the way I presented my numbers is not necessarily wrong. I recall many a doom and gloom article in November that provided first full year numbers for the Wii U. I also believe there were threads pertaining to sales of Wii U's first year on this site as well one it had reached it's first full year on the market. It seem figures however are subjective when it comes to a person's console of choice. I stick by the figures I've posted and the possible outcomes I've drawn.

I feel it is much more of a fair comparison to go from launch week to the same week ending the following year and count that as yearly sales. I also provided two methods that do not show an overall increase. Are they a bit manipulative? Of course they are. Does that necessarily mean they are incorrect? Not really.Unfortunately we're just going to have to wait this out in order to determine whether or not my estimates are as insane as some of you claim

But the Vita hasn't been on the market for 2 full years in the west, so youre going against your own logic.

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
Michael-5 said:

Sony released games on the PS1-PS3 after the system was discontinued. Why would Sony suddenly stop supporting their system late life? Nintendo still developed for the N64 and Gamecube right up until they were replaced (often seeing some of their best work come out right at the end).

You think the Vita will be discontinued in 2015? Have you looked at Japan sales, Vita is doing fine there. Until hype in Japan dies, they will still sell Vita's here too.

Uncharted, LBP, Persona 4 and Killzone 2 released over a span of 2 years, not 1. All Vita had in 2013 was Tearaway, Killzone, Soul Sacrifice, Ys, and Dragon's Crown. 2014 is already looking better with Gravity Rush 2, FFX, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, and maybe God Eater 2 outside of Japan.

Anyway, none of the upcoming games releasing for the Vita are System Sellers, any would be lucky to break 1 million, but it's enough to keep the fans happy. I don't see PSV being discontinued any time soon because it's still selling well in Japan. Plus all Sony needs to do is announce an Uncharted: Golden Abyss 2 a Gran Turismo, or even just a God of War, and boom that guarenteed Vita will be around for at least 3 years.

See the problem with your argument (at the end especially) is that your adding hypotheticals. Well if the announced such and such, it would do this and this. They are not going to do it at this point because they do not want to loose money, plain and simple. Uncharted just barely managed to move a million units and that was including bundles which speaks volumes. You've also listed games that technically fall under 2013 (for Japan at least) FFX & God Eater 2.

FFX has already seen a significant decrease from week one and will probably end up with 500K in sales (japan). Japan tends to historically have the highest FF sales per entry across all regions so the other's will not contribute too much. I would bet the other games listed will struggle to reach 500k units a piece and will be mainly purchased by existing owners. They are not true blue system sellers.

Your arguement is also hypothetical. You're expecting sales to drop 30% when they grew nearly 100% in their largest territory (Japan - 438k in 2011, 670k in 2012, 1,209k in 2013). Plus in Japan, there are a lot of great games releasing in 2014, so..... It's unfair to assume a WW drop.

Loose too much money? This is hypothertical because Sony has always supported their consoles, even after they were replaced (GT6 could have brought more revenue on the PS4)

As for FF sales, you're also wrong here. FF typically sells better or at least on par with Japan in North America. Crisis Core sold 150% better in North America then Japan, and Worldwide it sold nearly 300% as much.

----

FFX is going to be big for outside of Japan. FFXII will be big for every region. Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, Disgaea 4, Sword Art Online, etc will push Japanese system sales too.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Yes, quite easily.

betacon said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
JoeTheBro said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

But the Vita hasn't been on the market for 2 full years in the west, so youre going against your own logic.

If you read my previous posts you would see the generous sales estimates i gave for the following 7 sales weeks. 

Michael-5 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
Michael-5 said:

Sony released games on the PS1-PS3 after the system was discontinued. Why would Sony suddenly stop supporting their system late life? Nintendo still developed for the N64 and Gamecube right up until they were replaced (often seeing some of their best work come out right at the end).

You think the Vita will be discontinued in 2015? Have you looked at Japan sales, Vita is doing fine there. Until hype in Japan dies, they will still sell Vita's here too.

Uncharted, LBP, Persona 4 and Killzone 2 released over a span of 2 years, not 1. All Vita had in 2013 was Tearaway, Killzone, Soul Sacrifice, Ys, and Dragon's Crown. 2014 is already looking better with Gravity Rush 2, FFX, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, and maybe God Eater 2 outside of Japan.

Anyway, none of the upcoming games releasing for the Vita are System Sellers, any would be lucky to break 1 million, but it's enough to keep the fans happy. I don't see PSV being discontinued any time soon because it's still selling well in Japan. Plus all Sony needs to do is announce an Uncharted: Golden Abyss 2 a Gran Turismo, or even just a God of War, and boom that guarenteed Vita will be around for at least 3 years.

See the problem with your argument (at the end especially) is that your adding hypotheticals. Well if the announced such and such, it would do this and this. They are not going to do it at this point because they do not want to loose money, plain and simple. Uncharted just barely managed to move a million units and that was including bundles which speaks volumes. You've also listed games that technically fall under 2013 (for Japan at least) FFX & God Eater 2.

FFX has already seen a significant decrease from week one and will probably end up with 500K in sales (japan). Japan tends to historically have the highest FF sales per entry across all regions so the other's will not contribute too much. I would bet the other games listed will struggle to reach 500k units a piece and will be mainly purchased by existing owners. They are not true blue system sellers.

Your arguement is also hypothetical. You're expecting sales to drop 30% when they grew nearly 100% in their largest territory (Japan - 438k in 2011, 670k in 2012, 1,209k in 2013). Plus in Japan, there are a lot of great games releasing in 2014, so..... It's unfair to assume a WW drop.

Loose too much money? This is hypothertical because Sony has always supported their consoles, even after they were replaced (GT6 could have brought more revenue on the PS4)

As for FF sales, you're also wrong here. FF typically sells better or at least on par with Japan in North America. Crisis Core sold 150% better in North America then Japan, and Worldwide it sold nearly 300% as much.

----

FFX is going to be big for outside of Japan. FFXII will be big for every region. Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, Disgaea 4, Sword Art Online, etc will push Japanese system sales too.

I'm going on the basis of Dec launch date to the same sales week in Dec 12 and then comparing Dec 12 to December 13 which provides two full years of console sales in Japan. My numbers are not incorrect as they are giving full sales years. 

There is a difference between releasing a title late into a consoles life when there is an 80 mill plus userbase that will result in several million sales that will result in profit vs a dying handheld that is not a sigificant part of their business. They are not going to throw away money.

Only 2 FF's have sold more in N.A than JAP. The odds do not favour FFXHD making a significant impact.

I don't disagree with those games moving systems in Japan. I just do not believe it will be in a significant enough way and at most wee will see 1.5 million sold in Jap Dec13- Dec 14 while E.U and N.A become almost non existant which will lead to Sony stopping production by late 2015 allowing for the possibility of sales being less than gamegear.

You seem to be on a mission, but no matter how much BS you put out, it won't change the fact that Vita will easily go past 11 mil and sell much more. Your talk about it being discontinued is lunacy. It's the second best selling console in Japan. We all know they no longer care about home consoles, so PS4 won't be a massive PS2-type success there and Sony just needs a handheld there. And it has got one that Japanese are buying and that gets more and more support from 3rd parties. Why would they wanna kill it? Only you might know.

The West is a problem, NA particularly, but I hope they can fix it with a big software push after they secure the PS4 dominance. The console will be cheap, memory cards will be cheap, they will have a chance of a second start. Sony can make a PS3-type turn if they want to.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

The Vita will probably pass the Gamegear by the end of this year judging by the sales it had last year.