By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: "we´re thinking about a new business structure"

TheLastStarFighter said:

In order for Nintendo to be better off as a software-only company, it would have to tripple its sales, plus another 20% to make up for licensing fees they are now charged (or not earning) on their own software.  Plus the usual 25%+ profit they usually make on hardware (Wii U was a abboration and a mistake).  So if you really think Nintendo could sell 110 million copies of MarioKart on PS + Xbox... yeah, OK, sure.  They would be lucky to see any increase... I would wager many titles would go down as they would no longer be looked at as "flagship" system titles (see Sonic, Crash, etc). And they would lose the synergy of bundles, of promotion of titles on boot screens, of hardware designed around their own games, etc.

If you're thinking they could make massive sales on Smartphones... sure, if they are willing to sell titles for a few bucks.  FYI, Nintendo made more money off 1 title, Animal Crossing New Leaf, last year than Rovio made as an entire company - including selling Angry Birds, one of the most successful multi-plat mobile titles ever.

As far as Sony goes, the Playstation brand hasn't made money since the launch of PS3.  However, they do take in a most of their revenue by being a hardware platform maker.  Their 1st party software business is small, but if they do return to profitability with PS4 it will because they are a platform holder making money off licenses on 3rd party sales.  Same as MS.  And same as Nintendo, despite their larger in-house games division.  There is a reason all of them are in this business.

Good post, but Nintendo is loosing money, and that is the bottom line.  Could they sell 110 million copies of Mario Kart on PS + Xbox (Android, PC, Steam OS, Ouya, iOS, OSX), probably not, but they aren't going to match their Wii sales of Mario Kart on Wii U either, Wii was a fluke.  A return to profitablity is important for Nintendo since they have no other (major) buisiness to fall back on like Microsoft & Sony do.

Around the Network

Considering Iwata stated a 23 billion yen ($219.9 million) increase in spending on advertising, marketing, and business restructuring, I'm actually very interested to see what's going to happen with Nintendo now... :D

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Soundwave said:

(1) What I gather is that Nintendo is growing frustrated with trying to sell consoles. Aside from the Wii era they have been in tough with consoles for 15 years now and it's finally starting to burn them financially. 

(2) Truth is the market for a "family friendly" console simply isn't there anymore. The console market is driven by people who want something more along the lines of what Sony/MS offer, not Nintendo's model of basically a modernized N64 every gen.

(3) The Wii was just a freak success, not a sustainable business model in the long run.

(4) Maybe a Steam-meets-Netflix type service might be under consideration? One where the consumer doesn't have to pay for any hardware or just a moderate cost?

(1) True enough for home-console, not so much with handhelds. This you probably meant as you said console.

(2) The market for family friendly consoles is still there. But nobody is going into this market. WiiU is NOT designed to go after this market.

(3) The Wii would work today too. Look at the sales of Just Dance. Still strong on Wii, although the system gets no other software. But again, nobody cares for the market of the Wii. The WiiU doesn't go after the market of the Wii, it goes after the market of PS3 and X360 (and doesn't make that very good).

(4) That may also a possible way. Interesting idea.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

existenz2 said:

WiiU is done confirmed.

Since January 2013.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

BeElite said:

Having a revenue stream like ios and android eliminates then needing to build a user base, and they can instently sale to a user base of +Billion people.

The userbase doesn't matter, as most of them aren't willing to pay for games more than a dollar. They don't have the phones to play, if they get games they choose mostly cheap games. Consoles already reach most of potential customers that are willing to pay 50€/$ for a game. Marketing to Android/iOs needs a complete different strategy, and if you look companies that make smartphone games are a lot smaller than console-gaming-companies. Also everyone selling over the stores have to share their revenue with Google/Apple. So smaller prices for the games and a smaller amount of that price is left for Nintendo. No, that will not work very good.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network

The Wii U has more casual/kids centric software published by Nintendo than even the Wii did in its first year

Year 1 Wii U

Wii Fit U
Nintendo Land
LEGO City
Wii Party U
Game & Wario
Sing Party
Wii Sports Club

Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics

Year 1 Wii

Wii Sports
Wii Play
Mario Party 7
Wario Ware Smooth Moves

If this isn't aimed at casual/family/kids audiences then I don't know what is.

The Wii actually had more "hardcore" games from Nintendo its first year in Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Excitetruck, and Fire Emblem. Even the Mario games on the Wii U are clearly designed for the family audience crowd -- NSMBU and Mario 3D World moreso than Mario Galaxy which is more of a continuation of the "Nintendo epic" game philosophy from the N64/GCN days. 

chris_wing said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

In order for Nintendo to be better off as a software-only company, it would have to tripple its sales, plus another 20% to make up for licensing fees they are now charged (or not earning) on their own software.  Plus the usual 25%+ profit they usually make on hardware (Wii U was a abboration and a mistake).  So if you really think Nintendo could sell 110 million copies of MarioKart on PS + Xbox... yeah, OK, sure.  They would be lucky to see any increase... I would wager many titles would go down as they would no longer be looked at as "flagship" system titles (see Sonic, Crash, etc). And they would lose the synergy of bundles, of promotion of titles on boot screens, of hardware designed around their own games, etc.

If you're thinking they could make massive sales on Smartphones... sure, if they are willing to sell titles for a few bucks.  FYI, Nintendo made more money off 1 title, Animal Crossing New Leaf, last year than Rovio made as an entire company - including selling Angry Birds, one of the most successful multi-plat mobile titles ever.

As far as Sony goes, the Playstation brand hasn't made money since the launch of PS3.  However, they do take in a most of their revenue by being a hardware platform maker.  Their 1st party software business is small, but if they do return to profitability with PS4 it will because they are a platform holder making money off licenses on 3rd party sales.  Same as MS.  And same as Nintendo, despite their larger in-house games division.  There is a reason all of them are in this business.

Good post, but Nintendo is loosing money, and that is the bottom line.  Could they sell 110 million copies of Mario Kart on PS + Xbox (Android, PC, Steam OS, Ouya, iOS, OSX), probably not, but they aren't going to match their Wii sales of Mario Kart on Wii U either, Wii was a fluke.  A return to profitablity is important for Nintendo since they have no other (major) buisiness to fall back on like Microsoft & Sony do.

There is no question Nintendo needs to return to profitability, but you don't shed 2/3s of your business - your primary business - to do so.  You find out what is wrong and you fix it.  In the case of Nintendo, they launched a console that hasn't done well during its first year+.  They need to find a way to make it do well or design a new piece of hardware that can do better.  If I were running the company, I'd do both.  I'd spend reserve cash to buy up a couple publishers to bring in more exclusive software to move Wii U's, and I'd design new hardware that can compete both within the industry and against other entertainment platforms.  A powerful new gaming system that is third party friendly, an andoid tablet with exclusive Nintendo style and software and an android Nintendo phone with controls to play games.  I'd outsouce much of the chip design, but deveop a common OS and online network between the 3 devices and start a subscription service to play updated versions of classic games.  Some games could be played on the phone, some require the tablet and full on AAA titles would be only on the new home console.  A dedicated home gaming network among the devices could make for great multiplayer matches, but I digress and daydream...

TheLastStarFighter said:
chris_wing said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

There is no question Nintendo needs to return to profitability, but you don't shed 2/3s of your business - your primary business - to do so.  You find out what is wrong and you fix it.  In the case of Nintendo, they launched a console that hasn't done well during its first year+.  They need to find a way to make it do well or design a new piece of hardware that can do better.  If I were running the company, I'd do both.  I'd spend reserve cash to buy up a couple publishers to bring in more exclusive software to move Wii U's, and I'd design new hardware that can compete both within the industry and against other entertainment platforms.  A powerful new gaming system that is third party friendly, an andoid tablet with exclusive Nintendo style and software and an android Nintendo phone with controls to play games.  I'd outsouce much of the chip design, but deveop a common OS and online network between the 3 devices and start a subscription service to play updated versions of classic games.  Some games could be played on the phone, some require the tablet and full on AAA titles would be only on the new home console.  A dedicated home gaming network among the devices could make for great multiplayer matches, but I digress and daydream...

Software is Nintendo's primary business, as Yamauchi famously once said the console is just a box people buy to play Mario on (which is to say the console is just something that's in the way of people getting to what they really want -- which is the games). 

I understand that Nintendo fans have a very strong emotional bond to the idea of a Nintendo hardware though so it's difficult to imagine a different future, but what Iwata is actually saying is they are no longer looking at the console + $50+ games for console as the only way to do business in the future. 

We are well past the "just fix the Wii U!" phase at this stage from the sounds of it. I think Nintendo quietly is starting to accept the Wii U's failure and the fact that they need different ideas for the future, not just the same ol' "well we screwed that console up, oh well lets just try to do better next time" concept. 

TheLastStarFighter said:

We can agree to disagree on the direction Nintendo needs to take.  If they are going to remain in the hardware buisiness then their hardware NEEDS to have wide spread support from the industry.  The idea of a "Mario box" isn't going to fly with as many people as it did in the past.  I've made this comparrison before, but I think it's worth saying again how Nintendo having a system that is only worth while to play their own games is kind of like if Disney only released their movies on HDdvd & forced people to buy an HDdvd player for the privaledge of watching their movies, and their movies only.

Soundwave said:

The Wii U has more casual/kids centric software published by Nintendo than even the Wii did in its first year

Year 1 Wii U

Wii Fit U
Nintendo Land
LEGO City
Wii Party U
Game & Wario
Sing Party
Wii Sports Club

Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics

Year 1 Wii

Wii Sports
Wii Play
Mario Party 7
Wario Ware Smooth Moves

If this isn't aimed at casual/family/kids audiences then I don't know what is.

The Wii actually had more "hardcore" games from Nintendo its first year in Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Excitetruck, and Fire Emblem. Even the Mario games on the Wii U are clearly designed for the family audience crowd -- NSMBU and Mario 3D World moreso than Mario Galaxy which is more of a continuation of the "Nintendo epic" game philosophy from the N64/GCN days.

LOL, you don't get what made the Wii successful.