By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: "we´re thinking about a new business structure"

chris_wing said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

And you should look at what the majority of the Indie games are... Hardly any of them are very demanding in hardware... And even with that, look at how hard it is for Nintendo just to make games in HD for the wiiU with their own hardware/OS.. If you have seen any of the Nintendo Directs, at least 3 of them have said that blah game has been delayed cause moving into the HD generation is harder than we thought so "Please Understand"... Now think of how bad that would be for Nintendo on hardware/OS they don't even know how to use...

And there have been worse things called in this site without people being reported so I think that is emotional but that is a valid defensive excuse as well

You learn how to use it, & hire people who are experts with it.  They are going to have to learn a new system at some point anyways, right?These people who know Unity (just an example engine) are flooding the job market at the moment.  Yes Unity games are less demanding then other games, but Nintendo seems very comfortable making less technically impressive games than the competion, so developing for a low common denominator shouldn't be much of an issue.

Oh, I'm on the defence, k

Yea but thats all speculation... For all we know, they will go the same way as Sega did and ruin their main games when trying to adapt to foreign hardware... There have been many first party going into third party before and most of them have went bankrupt... I know that Nintendo has a bigger fanbase than Sega as well as more money but history does say that when first party goes third party, they don't do well... Also, Nintendo does make technically impressive games with limited hardware which is what everyone praises them for... They can push even the weakest hardware to the limits to make both technically and visually impressive games on hardware that shouldnt be able to handle such graphics... Just look at the reviews of Mario Galaxy on the wii

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

this ND will be an interesting one! can't wait!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

$200 is not affordable anymore when everyone sees the PS4/XB1 as the defacto console they have to buy to get their core gaming fix (the CoDs, Maddens, etc.).

It's expensive, that's $200 a person could use on a tablet, new phone, why should they be spending $600-$700 combined on video game hardware just to get a few Nintendo franchises on top of the PS4 they already have that gives them everything else they want?

I think that whole idea is a tired idea. People are no longer willing to buy a Nintendo console just to play the same 4-5 key franchises. Nintendo needs to figure out how to fit into people's life style, rather than forcing people to bend over to them and try to fit Nintendo into their life.

TheLastStarFighter said:
chris_wing said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
chris_wing said:

I'm just going to address this one more time.  Nintendo isn't in the money loosing buisiness.  Just because Nintendo has more money now then Sega did when they were forced to go 3rd party doesn't mean that it's not in Nintendo's best interest to become a third party developer/publisher.  Nintendo mega fans react emotionally to the suggestion that Nintendo should or may be restructuring their buisiness to meet their only real goal, which is to make money.  Nintendo could continue to be in the hardware buisiness for the next 40 years, but is it worth the title of "hardware producer" to be loosing money in a modern world where the video game console is far from the only place to play video games.  When I bought my NES, SNES, and N64, those systems were my only access to video games.  Today devices that play video games are litterally (not actually litterally) falling out of our ears.

Anyways, thanks for calling me an idiot.

TheLastStarFighter said:

Because Nintendo gets about 65% of their revenue from hardware.  Educate yourself.

Um, are you guys going to tell him or should I?

What are you going to tell me?

Nintendo get's the vast majority of their net revenue from software.  The Wii U is sold at a loss.

You're incorrect.  Even if Wii U is still sold at a loss, Nintendo makes most of its revenue by being a hardware provider.  Almost all hardware they sell is sold at a profit (even Wii U will be for about 75% of its life), and then a huge portion of their revenue come from licencing fees on software sold for their hardware platforms.  The $7 per $60 game fee is pure profit that all of the console makers build their buisiness around.  Even on 1st party software, Nintendo would make $34 on their own platform but only $27 on other platforms - in other words 20% of even their own software revenues are due to being a hardware platform owner.   Your statement clearly indicates that you don't understand the video game business.  Nintendo has stated that just under 2/3's of their buisiness and revenue stems from the hardware side of things.

Revenue from hardware, and revenue from licencing 3rd parties to publish on your hardware ecosystem are a bit different.  Yes I know about licensing fees that hardware puplishers have, but Nintendo would out weigh the profits they make from third parties licensing fees by selling their own software to a larger base.  They could also move to an open source platform like android to avoid having to pay licensing fees.

The idea that the Wii U will become cheeper to produce over the years is grounded in the idea of mass production, but unfortunatly the Wii U is selling slowly and the componant makers aren't producing the large amounts they had hoped for, which means that it will take longer for the manufacturing costs to fall.  Nintendo launched the Wii U selling at a loss for $350, the Wii U is now selling at $300 and is probably loosing more money now per unit than it did when it launched & people are still asking for another $50 price cut.

I'll particialy withdraw my original statement, but if we are including licensing revenue then isn't Sony making more money on it's hardware?  Isn't that "65% of it's revenue from hardware" claim dependent on 3rd parties actually publishing & having success with their games on the Nintendo system?

chris_wing said:

And you should look at what the majority of the Indie games are... Hardly any of them are very demanding in hardware... And even with that, look at how hard it is for Nintendo just to make games in HD for the wiiU with their own hardware/OS.. If you have seen any of the Nintendo Directs, at least 3 of them have said that blah game has been delayed cause moving into the HD generation is harder than we thought so "Please Understand"... Now think of how bad that would be for Nintendo on hardware/OS they don't even know how to use...

And there have been worse things called in this site without people being reported so I think that is emotional but that is a valid defensive excuse as well

You learn how to use it, & hire people who are experts with it.  They are going to have to learn a new system at some point anyways, right?These people who know Unity (just an example engine) are flooding the job market at the moment.  Yes Unity games are less demanding then other games, but Nintendo seems very comfortable making less technically impressive games than the competion, so developing for a low common denominator shouldn't be much of an issue.

Oh, I'm on the defence, k

Yea but thats all speculation... For all we know, they will go the same way as Sega did and ruin their main games when trying to adapt to foreign hardware... There have been many first party going into third party before and most of them have went bankrupt... I know that Nintendo has a bigger fanbase than Sega as well as more money but history does say that when first party goes third party, they don't do well... Also, Nintendo does make technically impressive games with limited hardware which is what everyone praises them for... They can push even the weakest hardware to the limits to make both technically and visually impressive games on hardware that shouldnt be able to handle such graphics... Just look at the reviews of Mario Galaxy on the wii

I don't need to read the reviews, I own both Galexy games & they are great, fantastic use of limited technical resources.  Sega was in trouble long before they went third party.  Their software took a dive after the Genisis, long before they started to develop for other companies hardware, not that thier own 32X & Saturn did them any favours in the interim.  Simply going third party doen't mean you are going to end up like Sega or Atari.  Both Sega & Atari were forced to become third party after they burnt all their resources fighting against it.  If Nintendo gracefully accept a new direction they could be bigger than ever.

Around the Network
chris_wing said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
chris_wing said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
chris_wing said:

I'm just going to address this one more time.  Nintendo isn't in the money loosing buisiness.  Just because Nintendo has more money now then Sega did when they were forced to go 3rd party doesn't mean that it's not in Nintendo's best interest to become a third party developer/publisher.  Nintendo mega fans react emotionally to the suggestion that Nintendo should or may be restructuring their buisiness to meet their only real goal, which is to make money.  Nintendo could continue to be in the hardware buisiness for the next 40 years, but is it worth the title of "hardware producer" to be loosing money in a modern world where the video game console is far from the only place to play video games.  When I bought my NES, SNES, and N64, those systems were my only access to video games.  Today devices that play video games are litterally (not actually litterally) falling out of our ears.

Anyways, thanks for calling me an idiot.

TheLastStarFighter said:

Because Nintendo gets about 65% of their revenue from hardware.  Educate yourself.

Um, are you guys going to tell him or should I?

What are you going to tell me?

Nintendo get's the vast majority of their net revenue from software.  The Wii U is sold at a loss.

You're incorrect.  Even if Wii U is still sold at a loss, Nintendo makes most of its revenue by being a hardware provider.  Almost all hardware they sell is sold at a profit (even Wii U will be for about 75% of its life), and then a huge portion of their revenue come from licencing fees on software sold for their hardware platforms.  The $7 per $60 game fee is pure profit that all of the console makers build their buisiness around.  Even on 1st party software, Nintendo would make $34 on their own platform but only $27 on other platforms - in other words 20% of even their own software revenues are due to being a hardware platform owner.   Your statement clearly indicates that you don't understand the video game business.  Nintendo has stated that just under 2/3's of their buisiness and revenue stems from the hardware side of things.

Revenue from hardware, and revenue from licencing 3rd parties to publish on your hardware ecosystem are a bit different.  Yes I know about licensing fees that hardware puplishers have, but Nintendo would out way the profits they make from third parties licensing fees by selling their own software to a larger base.  They could also move to an open source platform like android to avoid having to pay licensing fees.

The idea that the Wii U will become cheeper to produce over the years is grounded in the idea of mass production, but unfortunatly the Wii U is selling slowly and the componant makers aren't producing the large amounts they had hoped for, which means that it will take longer for the manufacturing costs to fall.  Nintendo launched the Wii U selling at a loss for $350, the Wii U is now selling at $300 and is probably loosing more money now per unit than it did when it launched & people are still asking for another $50 price cut.

I'll particialy withdraw my original statement, but if we are including licensing revenue then isn't Sony making more money on it's hardware?

In order for Nintendo to be better off as a software-only company, it would have to tripple its sales, plus another 20% to make up for licensing fees they are now charged (or not earning) on their own software.  Plus the usual 25%+ profit they usually make on hardware (Wii U was a abboration and a mistake).  So if you really think Nintendo could sell 110 million copies of MarioKart on PS + Xbox... yeah, OK, sure.  They would be lucky to see any increase... I would wager many titles would go down as they would no longer be looked at as "flagship" system titles (see Sonic, Crash, etc). And they would lose the synergy of bundles, of promotion of titles on boot screens, of hardware designed around their own games, etc.

If you're thinking they could make massive sales on Smartphones... sure, if they are willing to sell titles for a few bucks.  FYI, Nintendo made more money off 1 title, Animal Crossing New Leaf, last year than Rovio made as an entire company - including selling Angry Birds, one of the most successful multi-plat mobile titles ever.

As far as Sony goes, the Playstation brand hasn't made money since the launch of PS3.  However, they do take in a most of their revenue by being a hardware platform maker.  Their 1st party software business is small, but if they do return to profitability with PS4 it will because they are a platform holder making money off licenses on 3rd party sales.  Same as MS.  And same as Nintendo, despite their larger in-house games division.  There is a reason all of them are in this business.

Soundwave said:

$200 is not affordable anymore when everyone sees the PS4/XB1 as the defacto console they have to buy to get their core gaming fix (the CoDs, Maddens, etc.).

It's expensive, that's $200 a person could use on a tablet, new phone, why should they be spending $600-$700 combined on video game hardware just to get a few Nintendo franchises on top of the PS4 they already have that gives them everything else they want?

I think that whole idea is a tired idea. People are no longer willing to buy a Nintendo console just to play the same 4-5 key franchises. Nintendo needs to figure out how to fit into people's life style, rather than forcing people to bend over to them and try to fit Nintendo into their life.

Really? They won't buy one for "the same 4 -5 key franchises," but they'll buy a PS4/XB1 for 2 "core" games? This console generation already sucks.

X,SSBU,Mario Kart8, DKCTF,Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2 < CoD,Madden, FIFA

This console generation already sucks.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Soundwave said:

Really? They won't buy one for "the same4 -5 key franchises," but they'll buy a PS4/XB1 for 2 "core" games? This console generation already sucks.

The PS4/XB1 simply offer the consumer the choice to play the widest variety of games. Which Nintendo used to do in the NES/SNES eras. 

Their consoles have simply gone in another direction since the N64, but I think we all know that and it's been discussed to death here. 

BeElite said:
3rd party, id love me some PS4 X and Zelda.

Dream on. More likely Nintendo could drop home console entirely and completely focusing on handhelds. All Nintendo-games handheld exclusive.

Well, Nintendo could do some sort of dockiung-station to make a handheld- home-console-hybrid.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

WiiU is done confirmed.