By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - who else collects blu-ray movies.

okr said:

On Blu-Ray I only bought about 30 movies so far. Most of them are animation movies, incl. some of my most favorite Disney movies like Pinocchio and The Jungle Book plus the afaik even in Japan still incomplete, but beautifully designed Ghibli Collection (not my picture - I buy the German edition of these Blu-Rays which looks very similar to the Japanese original). Animation movies look gorgeous on Blu-Ray.

Who publishes them in Germany?

I'm stuck here with the Disney versions, which come out a year and a half after the Japan release and don't look anything at all like the Japanese versions. The artwork is still nice though.

No Porco Rosso blu-ray here yet. I bought the dvd version last year, Disney sucks as a distributor.
And yes animation looks perfect on blu-ray, I never knew there was so much detail in Howl's moving castle and even older titles like Totoro look a lot better than I expected.

My Ghibli collection so far.

They are well used :) My 2 year old's favorite is Ponyo (watched it at least 30 times already, lost count) He get hold of the blu-ray a few times, I could use a new slip cover hehe.

Anyway I would never want to trade my collection for a menu screen

Around the Network
vizunary said:
burninmylight said:
I still don't see the point of getting a Blu-Ray player. My half-dozen DVD playing devices + online streaming get the job done.

then why not get vhs, they're like a nickel now? do you not collect anything? same difference, I've also got over 1000 books, though fuckem get a kindle yeah? EDIT: BTW books are these strange collections of ink put upon dried tree pulp that convey a message... =p

So apparently you missed the second sentence in my comment. Here, let me make it stand out for you:

My half-dozen DVD playing devices + online streaming get the job done.

SvennoJ said:
okr said:

On Blu-Ray I only bought about 30 movies so far. Most of them are animation movies, incl. some of my most favorite Disney movies like Pinocchio and The Jungle Book plus the afaik even in Japan still incomplete, but beautifully designed Ghibli Collection (not my picture - I buy the German edition of these Blu-Rays which looks very similar to the Japanese original). Animation movies look gorgeous on Blu-Ray.

I'm stuck here with the Disney versions, which come out a year and a half after the Japan release and don't look anything at all like the Japanese versions. The artwork is still nice though.

No Porco Rosso blu-ray here yet. I bought the dvd version last year, Disney sucks as a distributor.
And yes animation looks perfect on blu-ray, I never knew there was so much detail in Howl's moving castle and even older titles like Totoro look a lot better than I expected.

My Ghibli collection so far.

They are well used :) My 2 year old's favorite is Ponyo (watched it at least 30 times already, lost count) He get hold of the blu-ray a few times, I could use a new slip cover hehe.

Anyway I would never want to trade my collection for a menu screen

At one point i wanted it to do that but is just to much money and takes more space, so i decide to do something different :). 

Xbox live: kyokusanagiii    Watching: Patlabor The Mobile Police (OAV 1)

I only purchase movies I really like. My Bluray collection is small. Rocky series, First Blood/Rambo series, Scarface, Shaun of the Dead, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Carlito's Way, Clerks, Clerks 2, Chasing Amy, and Equilibrium.

SvennoJ said:
okr said:

http://www.universumanime.de/anime.html publishes the Ghibli DVDs and the Blu-Ray Collection.

Nice collection you have there. It must be great to have some movies which you like as much as your 2 years old. The magic of animation.

BTW: I just discovered that Princess Mononoke as part of this Ghibli Blu-Ray collection is already out in Japan

but not yet officially announced for Germany (we are always one or two releases behind, we got Grave of the Fireflies recently and will get Porco Rosso later this month). I assume Spirited Away will be the next release in Japan and then only the recent movies are missing afaik.

Around the Network
HigHurtenflurst said:
Conina said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Holy shit that's an impressive number (I see it seperates individual discs in things like TV series, but still... I think that collection would take over my entire houses storage space)

Yeah, some spare rooms in the house are helpful. Some old pictures from 2012:

DVDs:

DVD-Boxsets:

Blu-rays:

HD-DVDs and some Blu-ray-Boxsets:

Is your Wonderfalls one of your newest or did you buy the region 1 version? I am pretty sure the region 2 version only just came out here in UK (and therefore probably Germany) a few months ago, so I got it for Christmas

I bought the RC1 in 2005. The first DVD years, I imported mainly from Canada, DVD Soon had low prices and a great selection (before they've gone bankrupt).

okr said:

BTW: I just discovered that Princess Mononoke as part of this Ghibli Blu-Ray collection is already out in Japan

but not yet officially announced for Germany (we are always one or two releases behind, we got Grave of the Fireflies recently and will get Porco Rosso later this month). I assume Spirited Away will be the next release in Japan and then only the recent movies are missing afaik.

Yeah I've been torturing myself with it already. http://www.play-asia.com/mononoke-hime-paOS-13-49-en-70-757z.html
My hobby is expensive enough already though.

The cat returns and Kiki's delivery service are still missing too here. The recent movies already had a blu-ray release, different edition ofcourse. Then we'll get box sets with extras. How many editions will there be in the end...

I typically collect films and tv shows that I know I will watch repeatedly. Comedies in particular are my priority, like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, Monty Python films, Dumb and Dumber, Zoolander, and so on, because I can watch these over and over again.  I also collect a lot of science fiction stuff like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Total Recall (Schwarzenegger version), Dr. Strangelove, and other similar films.

Buy a lot of movies, but don't collect unless they are classic or movies I really like. I probably buy around 50 movies a year. Only keep the ones I want in my collection.

I pretty much have every classic boxset you can think of, including Alien to Promethus and Bond Collection. Probably counts to over 100 individual movies.

I do but I download everything. I have about 450 movies and 40 TV shows and 40 anime. I try to get everything blueray but some of the shows are to old like fresh prince of bel air.

I run everything off a media server with an HTPC/XBMC box on my TvV