By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - who else collects blu-ray movies.

I only started collecting DVDs properly a couple of years ago. I now have 37 films and content* from 11 TV series. With plans to get a further 7-8 films and content* from 9 TV series.
I was actually looking through the lists I created on IMDb for them today and noticed how depressingly male focussed my film collection is... Out of 45 (owned & plan to own) only Kill Bill 1&2 have a proper female lead, with a couple of others (Serenity & The Incredibles) at least being gender balanced even if the lead roles are still male. My collection of TV series though is almost split down the middle.

*Used 'content' because I don't always have the full set, but just 1-2 seasons.. for example I am planning on buying Heroes s1 but have no interest in the other seasons.

Around the Network
Conina said:

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cohen

Holy shit that's an impressive number (I see it seperates individual discs in things like TV series, but still... I think that collection would take over my entire houses storage space)

brendude13 said:
oldschoolfool said:
brendude13 said:
I have about 30, 22 of which are in the Bond 50 collection.

I was thinking about getting that,but it cost $172 at best buy. That's a bit 2 much for me. The most I spent on a box set was $90 for the friday the 13th collection,but $75 of that was a free gift card that I got as a gift. 

It cost me £70, which is about $115 with tax. Incredible value for 22 timeless movies.

Is that the one that came with a space to fit Skyfall in (or if you bought it after Skyfall came out, included Skyfall). My sister bought that for her boyfriend last Christmas.

I still haven't seen Skyfall yet ::embarrassed::

I used to own about 900 DVDs but already gave away about 200 of them to relatives and friends. I will get rid of a few hundreds more in the future, mostly films I don't care about anymore or are on TV all the time anyway. In the end I'll only keep the most beloved classics which are probably around 250 DVDs: US classics from the 1920s to 50s (e.g. from directors like Ford/Huston/Hitchcock/Capra/Cukor/Wilder/Curtiz/Wise, Laurel & Hardy/Chaplin/Marx Brothers/Danny Kaye movies, Astaire/Kelly/Donen/Minelli musicals, my Tom & Jerry and Disney Cartoons DVD Collections etc.) and US/French/Italian/Japanese classics from the 60s/70s from directors like Peckinpah/Scorsese/Allen/Kurosawa/Truffaut/Leone and so on.

Generally I plan to keep only DVDs with movies you don't see on TV anymore these days and are not available via streaming services. The libraries of most streaming devices are a joke to fans of classic movies imo.

On Blu-Ray I only bought about 30 movies so far. Most of them are animation movies, incl. some of my most favorite Disney movies like Pinocchio and The Jungle Book plus the afaik even in Japan still incomplete, but beautifully designed Ghibli Collection (not my picture - I buy the German edition of these Blu-Rays which looks very similar to the Japanese original). Animation movies look gorgeous on Blu-Ray.

NiKKoM said:
I actually got rid of my disc based movies and music... gave them away to family and friends.. pretty much gone digital for movie and music.. don't plan to go back on that.. maybe some special editions.. the house is much cleaner without 100's of discs..

I'm not about going all digtal. I just don't get the feeling of ownership with digtal,that I do with the physical copy. 

Around the Network

I prefer my HD movies digital for the most part.

Only physical Blu Rays I currently own are Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Inception, The Big Four in Sofia (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax), and Super Troopers (which I got for X-mas). Once they get cheaper, like DVD price, I'll probably start buying a lot more.

HigHurtenflurst said:

Holy shit that's an impressive number (I see it seperates individual discs in things like TV series, but still... I think that collection would take over my entire houses storage space)

Yeah, some spare rooms in the house are helpful. Some old pictures from 2012:

DVDs:

DVD-Boxsets:

Blu-rays:

HD-DVDs and some Blu-ray-Boxsets:

oldschoolfool said:
NiKKoM said:
I actually got rid of my disc based movies and music... gave them away to family and friends.. pretty much gone digital for movie and music.. don't plan to go back on that.. maybe some special editions.. the house is much cleaner without 100's of discs..

I'm not about going all digtal. I just don't get the feeling of ownership with digtal,that I do with the physical copy. 

I don't mind that ownership feeling.. I actually don't rewatch a lot of movies

but stacks like these (pic not mine) was getting ridicilous

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

soulfly666 said:
Raistline said:

I collect all the Blu-Ray movies that I know for sure I will want to watch again. Steaming, however convenient, does not have the sound quality that Blu-Ray has and I could not live without the amazing sound put into some movies. My neighbor hates me for it but I could care less. They can just deal with a little wall shaking every once in a while.
Not to mention the video quality is also quite a bit better on Blu-ray even for a 1080p stream if you have a properly calibrated display.
I have more than 200 DVDs and Blu-Rays at current. In addition, I love quality 3-D movies and you just can't get that streaming.

the Dredd remake in 3D is f*****g incredible !  3D wise and actual movie content wise both.

what  u sig about lol

NiKKoM said:
oldschoolfool said:
NiKKoM said:

I don't mind that ownership feeling.. I actually don't rewatch a lot of movies

but stacks like these (pic not mine) was getting ridicilous

I'm actually working toward getting a stack of blu-ray movies like that. I would personally take pride in having that mass collection,that's just me though.