By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - who else collects blu-ray movies.

SvennoJ said:
okr said:

On Blu-Ray I only bought about 30 movies so far. Most of them are animation movies, incl. some of my most favorite Disney movies like Pinocchio and The Jungle Book plus the afaik even in Japan still incomplete, but beautifully designed Ghibli Collection (not my picture - I buy the German edition of these Blu-Rays which looks very similar to the Japanese original). Animation movies look gorgeous on Blu-Ray.

Who publishes them in Germany?

I'm stuck here with the Disney versions, which come out a year and a half after the Japan release and don't look anything at all like the Japanese versions. The artwork is still nice though.

No Porco Rosso blu-ray here yet. I bought the dvd version last year, Disney sucks as a distributor.
And yes animation looks perfect on blu-ray, I never knew there was so much detail in Howl's moving castle and even older titles like Totoro look a lot better than I expected.

My Ghibli collection so far.

They are well used :) My 2 year old's favorite is Ponyo (watched it at least 30 times already, lost count) He get hold of the blu-ray a few times, I could use a new slip cover hehe.

Anyway I would never want to trade my collection for a menu screen

That's really cool but I already hate changing disc when it comes to games the onyl reason I don't got all digital is because I like to sell a lot of games back to gamestop.

Having to get up and see all the movies I have would be so annoying. With XBMC I just browse through everything with an amazing interface. I would at the very least rip all that media on a media server if your hell bent on keeping the disc.

Around the Network

I wouldn't say I collect but I have a decent blu-ray collection all in all. I have about 140-150 movies and a few TV shows, many are boxed sets though (Bourne Trilogy, Matrix, Star Wars, Rocky, LoTR etc).
There something special about having your movies in physical format, and I have yet to find a stable streaming service with a good selection and picture quality that reaches blu-ray levels.

I just buy on Vudu or Amazon Instant Video and then stream in the movies I couldn't wait to get to Netflix etc.

method114 said:
SvennoJ said

That's really cool but I already hate changing disc when it comes to games the onyl reason I don't got all digital is because I like to sell a lot of games back to gamestop.

Having to get up and see all the movies I have would be so annoying. With XBMC I just browse through everything with an amazing interface. I would at the very least rip all that media on a media server if your hell bent on keeping the disc.

I don't like browsing on a screen at all. Going through the physical movies is part of the appeal of collecting. Apart from lights, I don't have to turn anything on to pick out a movie, or simply to check up on some details. I know where everything is, sorted to my liking.

Plus to rip all my blu-rays with all the extras (is that even possible?) I would need over 20 terrabyte of storage space. Even if I could get the exact same experience from a server I would still miss opening the box, sliding in the disc, and putting it away after the movie is done. It's part of the ritual of watching movies for me. With Netflix I always ended up with a big list of half watched stuff, not really taking the time to watch one thing to completion and start 'flipping the channel' instead.

SvennoJ said:
method114 said:
SvennoJ said

I don't like browsing on a screen at all. Going through the physical movies is part of the appeal of collecting. Apart from lights, I don't have to turn anything on to pick out a movie, or simply to check up on some details. I know where everything is, sorted to my liking.

Plus to rip all my blu-rays with all the extras (is that even possible?) I would need over 20 terrabyte of storage space. Even if I could get the exact same experience from a server I would still miss opening the box, sliding in the disc, and putting it away after the movie is done. It's part of the ritual of watching movies for me. With Netflix I always ended up with a big list of half watched stuff, not really taking the time to watch one thing to completion and start 'flipping the channel' instead.

Well I don't have to turn anything on either other than the TV my HTPC stays on 24/7. 

I guess what I also like about having it this way is when I was single I would have some lady friends over every now and then when I needed a release. It was always more convenient to be able to hide all my anime (espicially the ones that have a lot of half naked chicks) I seperate my normal TV shows from the anime. I have a category called Cartoons which is where all my anime is and I just tell them it's for my daughter.

If I had a wall of anime like that at my apartment there would be no explaining that to a girl. I'm hispanic but I look black and I've been lifting weights for 6 years I'm 190 pounds so when people find out I watch anime they are very surprised. Hell when people here I work in IT they are surprised no one thinks I'm as nerdy as I really am except for people who really know me.

I'll admit it is nice to have cases like that though I'm the same with my game cases. I just couldn't do it with movies/tv shows though because I'm constatnly changing and having to switch disc all the time would get really annoying.

Around the Network

I have around 80-100 blu-ray movies. Around 20-30 of them are Disney classics, the ones that has been released here. Just watched An Unexpected Journey (extended version), and I could never get the same quality with streaming as of now. Amazing.

Yep.

SvennoJ said:

Plus to rip all my blu-rays with all the extras (is that even possible?) I would need over 20 terrabyte of storage space. Even if I could get the exact same experience from a server I would still miss opening the box, sliding in the disc, and putting it away after the movie is done. It's part of the ritual of watching movies for me.

AMEN! And the thing I bolded out is simply not possible. You can't get the experience you're talking about if you only have it all on a cold, soulless hard disk drive.

Your collection is very fine.

Yep.

Im a sucker for those blue ray steel books Best Buy sells. I've boughten Sucker Punch, Dark Knight, Batman begins and Terminator.

i collect blu-ray moviz in fact they r all actually BRRips 

I also bought Monty Python and the Holy Grail a while ago. Plenty of grain, but it has a really sharp and good looking vintage picture quality to it. I love movies which has lots of grain, but still is really sharp. That should be the look of old movies of this type in my opinion.

Yep.