By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Other Wii U developers respond to the anonymous dev article thrashing the console

Tagged games:

JoeTheBro said:
I wish I was in the op.

Man I need to start using this twitter thing everyone is talking about.

Maybe you should try that Bookface thingamajig all the kiddos can't get enough of.

Around the Network

Imagine the traffic on this thread if it was anonymous devs talking!

Dang, we gotta get a few of those on our side as well, maybe people will finally start listening!

burninmylight said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Renegade has released one game on Wii U. Mutant Muds, it has cutting edge graphics, is clearly pushing the system and must be powered by fairly complex code. I mean, just look at it. *sarcasm*

I didn't realize you had to release a blockbuster budget AAA title to be qualified to weigh in on development. Let me request a mod to lock this thread then.

You guys are way too sensitive. You think the production effort of a title like Muds is anywhere near the same level as any fairly complex 3D game? Most indie games are 2D for a reason. Its clear that the anonymous source worked on a launch title and I can't consider any of them to be as simple as a 2D side scroller thats on the Vita, 3DS and iOS

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

I don't know, who cares really? The Wii U won't get significant 3rd Party support amyway. Doesn't matter if it's easy to develop or not. Even the Wii with it's massive install base struggled with 3rd parties apart from shovelware. So why should that change for a system that is barely selling at all?

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I think this entire thing with Eurogamer wouldn't have caused such a stir-up if they had also told of the other side of the story, namely the part where Post-Launch Wii U development is MUCH better.

Around the Network

Vigil games had nice things to say about the wii u and nintendo, which pretty much confirms what all the devs have been saying who are not anonymous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3HGOsAlx0

the eurogamer article is looking really fishy right about now

burninmylight said:

Harder to Develop Games on the Wii U? Not the Case Says Renegade Kid.

Recently a popular website released an article that was from an “anonymous Third Party developer” which chronicled the “struggle” of developing games for the Wii U. From basic programming to online structure to dealing with Nintendo, the article took place during the launch window of the system. The article then concludes that is why Third Party companies tend to shy away from the Wii U. Curious, I decided to Tweet my friend Jools Watsham over at Renegade Kid to see his stance on this, since the anonymity would be null and void. I received back the following exclusive information.

Hopefully this will help shed some light on the situation when one of the biggest indie developers on Nintendo platforms disagrees with the recent article that is circulating the internet.

UPDATE:

I had the owner of a new Wii U indie company, Nami Tentou, reach out to me to respond to this situation. Nami Tentou is a licensed Wii U developer. They had the following to say, which strengthens the case of the situation.

Source: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/harder-develop-games-wii-u-case-says-renegade-kid/

The third party stance will not change on multiplats. Watch. Most of them are western devs and their publishers wont use lower hardware.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Renegade has released one game on Wii U. Mutant Muds, it has cutting edge graphics, is clearly pushing the system and must be powered by fairly complex code. I mean, just look at it. *sarcasm*

So what are the credits of the anonymous develop so that we can judge the credibility of their opinions?

I'll let you in on a secret, AAA games look better because they have more time, resources and money devoted to development and producing assets, not because the developers code better.

Listen to Shin'en talk, in combination with what they were able to produce on the Wii, 3DS and Wii U (with early dev kits) and I can tell you there are few in the industry that know their stuff better than those guys.  Jett Rocket with 40Mb managed to look better than 95% + of retail games on the Wii and that's with a system that had development tools matured from GC days.

SubiyaCryolite said:

You guys are way too sensitive. You think the production effort of a title like Muds is anywhere near the same level as any fairly complex 3D game? Most indie games are 2D for a reason. Its clear that the anonymous source worked on a launch title and I can't consider any of them to be as simple as a 2D side scroller thats on the Vita, 3DS and iOS

You left a sarcastic comment and got a sarcastic response. Isn't that how these things go?

Then, where are the 3rd party support on Wii U?