By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Other Wii U developers respond to the anonymous dev article thrashing the console

Tagged games:

It was never about ease of development on the Wii U. It's simple business 101.
Ever since Sony and then MS came into the picture, third-party sales have tanked on Nintendo "consoles." Why develop a game for a Nintendo console when chances are you won't even make your investment back?

Handheld market is a different story seeing as Nintendo has no competition there. Vita? please, Sony needs to do a better job there if they want to compete with Nintendo. Third-party will sell on the 3DS because there isn't an alternative at the moment unlike the console market.

People like to talk about the 3DS/Wii U mutually but their markets dynamic is very different. What works for the 3DS will not work for the Wii U due to competition.

Around the Network
hsrob said:

Well this thread is never going to last, it has verifiable information.

I'd like to see those who kept the other thread alive voice their opinion on this latest information.

Why would they bother when truth doesn't suit the agenda? lol

EricFabian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Actually...no. I think you missed a Bethesda figurehead speaking about how its too late to try and warm up to third parties now because the box is out. They never ever talked to them about creating the Wii U according to next gen  standards like Sony and Microsoft did. Microsoft and Sony werent even going to get Elder Scrolls online but because they contacted Bethesda ahead of time and seeked their council on the development of their consoles, Bethesda thought since the consoles are up to par it could be a next gen multiplat instead of a PC exclusive. Nintendo has a chance change their brand image but they only thought about themselves once again. Third party aren't partners to them. They don't view them that way and its pretty evident by the way that they treat them. This isn't the 90's where third parties had to bend over to Nintendo. They can ignore Nintendo if Nintendo doesn't work with them . They cant just tell someone "put it on our console..and whatever the problems are just make it work".

The PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube but could hold more space on the disc for larger games. Sony was always ahead of Nintendo ultimately on format, which is why they were always the brand of choice. Happened with the CD's, DVD's and Blu Ray. Nintendo should've known a great portion of their stable marketshare run with third party and should've made a third party friendly console. Sucks to be them because they have so much potential but are the most ignorant of the bunch.

While I understood your point, Bethesda is not good example, because you know, they just don't want to work with NIntendo

They didn't think much of the next gen consoles would measure up until Sony and Microsoft contacted them on the specs while it was in development. Elder Scrolls Online was not coming to consoles.  Sony and Microsoft did their jobs in reaching out to third party. Nintendo contacts no one. They just expect you to just put it on their console like they are god or something. I never knew it until I saw some history videos but Nintendo has had this attitude towards third parties for quite a while. I used to defend Nintendo and truthfully after finding out about them a year or so ago, I have zero sympathy as well. I would ignore them myself. As arrogant as the others are they are more humble as far as interaction with their peers opposed to Nintendo.

Shin'en have weighed in:

"We didn't experience link problems. It took just a few seconds to link. Maybe because we tend to keep our code binaries small."

Small code binaries. You don't say.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
Small code binaries. You don't say.

Elaborate.

Not belittling Shinen BTW. Just reiterating what I said about development scope.

The more libraries you use. The more you have to link. Think of libraries as modules. Like png loaders, XML readers, custom ai routines or physics. Of course the amount of raw code also contributes. The linkers help the code compile or become a binary. If you use a library you won't be able to compile if your links aren't present or are broken

I only believe Anonamous sources on the internet.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

After seeing the excellent jobs that some companies made with their WiiU games like: Warner with Injustice, EA with NfS: Most Wanted, Square-Eidos with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Ubisoft with Rayman Legends and ACIV, Activision with Skylanders....... I say that all those claims we see from one or another developer are just cheap excuses for their lazyness. It would be better if they were honest and just say that they don´t want to develop for WiiU because they don´t see the games selling well, period. All this fuzz about the "WiiU development difficulties" is just baloneys