By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Other Wii U developers respond to the anonymous dev article thrashing the console

Tagged games:

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The third party stance will not change on multiplats. Watch. Most of them are western devs and their publishers wont use lower hardware.

I'm not saying the third party stance will change, nor do I expect to. But that's not the point, and I'm surprised you of all people missed it. This is about the ease of development for the Wii U.

Third parties skipping Wii U also has little to do with "lower hardware," and more to do with the fact that western pubs struggle to achieve noteworthy sales on Nintendo home consoles. It could be two PS4s duct taped together and still wouldn't get much outside support because there aren't many third party games that would sell on it. Likewise, the PS2 was clearly the weakest console of its generation (and from everything I've heard, the hardest to program for), yet every publisher was beating down Sony's doors to get their games on it.

Around the Network

Look at the preceding post.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Renegade has released one game on Wii U. Mutant Muds, it has cutting edge graphics, is clearly pushing the system and must be powered by fairly complex code. I mean, just look at it. *sarcasm*

I feel like if I respond this I can respond to similar post.

I don't know if you ever took a course in computer programming or computer information. I'm currently taking a course in cyber security and computer programing is my field.

When you tell some "your making weak software that won't push the system." You don't realize how dumb that is as an argument. You do not know that, we you get the system with the manuals by the indualivual parts by the hardware manufacturer? You get the development tools to see what exactly the system can do by checking the system settings and testing it with software that isn't an actual game engine. The fact that he said he couldn't even put "hello world" which doesn't push the CPU in anyway, was testament that it was fake. C++ coding which is the standarded for all video game programming and just putting in following for hello world.

#include

int main() 

{
std::cout << "Hello World!n";
system("PAUSE");
return 0;
}

Isn't a problem if the system itself boots up and goes into development mode. Unless there dev kit just didn't work it's almost impossible for it to not work. Your ignorant of the facts of c++ and general programing, isn't supported by the fact of how big the team is. 

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

I don't see what the problem is here.

Basically It's a account about how things were pre-release VS how things are now.

They obviously got better.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

burninmylight said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The third party stance will not change on multiplats. Watch. Most of them are western devs and their publishers wont use lower hardware.

I'm not saying the third party stance will change, nor do I expect to. But that's not the point, and I'm surprised you of all people missed it. This is about the ease of development for the Wii U.

Third parties skipping Wii U also has little to do with "lower hardware," and more to do with the fact that western pubs struggle to achieve noteworthy sales on Nintendo home consoles. It could be two PS4s duct taped together and still wouldn't get much outside support because there aren't many third party games that would sell on it. Likewise, the PS2 was clearly the weakest console of its generation (and from everything I've heard, the hardest to program for), yet every publisher was beating down Sony's doors to get their games on it.

Actually...no. I think you missed a Bethesda figurehead speaking about how its too late to try and warm up to third parties now because the box is out. They never ever talked to them about creating the Wii U according to next gen  standards like Sony and Microsoft did. Microsoft and Sony werent even going to get Elder Scrolls online but because they contacted Bethesda ahead of time and seeked their council on the development of their consoles, Bethesda thought since the consoles are up to par it could be a next gen multiplat instead of a PC exclusive. Nintendo has a chance change their brand image but they only thought about themselves once again. Third party aren't partners to them. They don't view them that way and its pretty evident by the way that they treat them. This isn't the 90's where third parties had to bend over to Nintendo. They can ignore Nintendo if Nintendo doesn't work with them . They cant just tell someone "put it on our console..and whatever the problems are just make it work".

The PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube but could hold more space on the disc for larger games. Sony was always ahead of Nintendo ultimately on format, which is why they were always the brand of choice. Happened with the CD's, DVD's and Blu Ray. Nintendo should've known a great portion of their stable marketshare run with third party and should've made a third party friendly console. Sucks to be them because they have so much potential but are the most ignorant of the bunch.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
burninmylight said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Actually...no. I think you missed a Bethesda figurehead speaking about how its too late to try and warm up to third parties now because the box is out. They never ever talked to them about creating the Wii U according to next gen  standards like Sony and Microsoft did. Microsoft and Sony werent even going to get Elder Scrolls online but because they contacted Bethesda ahead of time and seeked their council on the development of their consoles, Bethesda thought since the consoles are up to par it could be a next gen multiplat instead of a PC exclusive. Nintendo has a chance change their brand image but they only thought about themselves once again. Third party aren't partners to them. They don't view them that way and its pretty evident by the way that they treat them. This isn't the 90's where third parties had to bend over to Nintendo. They can ignore Nintendo if Nintendo doesn't work with them . They cant just tell someone "put it on our console..and whatever the problems are just make it work".

The PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube but could hold more space on the disc for larger games. Sony was always ahead of Nintendo ultimately on format, which is why they were always the brand of choice. Happened with the CD's, DVD's and Blu Ray. Nintendo should've known a great portion of their stable marketshare run with third party and should've made a third party friendly console. Sucks to be them because they have so much potential but are the most ignorant of the bunch.

While I understood your point, Bethesda is not good example, because you know, they just don't want to work with NIntendo

Click HERE and be happy 

but the VGChartz community only takes notice of "anonymous" tips and sources.
Screw the comments from the confirmed developers!

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

ninetailschris said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Renegade has released one game on Wii U. Mutant Muds, it has cutting edge graphics, is clearly pushing the system and must be powered by fairly complex code. I mean, just look at it. *sarcasm*

I feel like if I respond this I can respond to similar post.

I don't know if you ever took a course in computer programming or computer information. I'm currently taking a course in cyber security and computer programing is my field.

When you tell some "your making weak software that won't push the system." You don't realize how dumb that is as an argument. You do not know that, we you get the system with the manuals by the indualivual parts by the hardware manufacturer? You get the development tools to see what exactly the system can do by checking the system settings and testing it with software that isn't an actual game engine. The fact that he said he couldn't even put "hello world" which doesn't push the CPU in anyway, was testament that it was fake. C++ coding which is the standarded for all video game programming and just putting in following for hello world.

#include

int main() 

{
std::cout << "Hello World!n";
system("PAUSE");
return 0;
}

Isn't a problem if the system itself boots up and goes into development mode. Unless there dev kit just didn't work it's almost impossible for it to not work. Your ignorant of the facts of c++ and general programing, isn't supported by the fact of how big the team is. 

I'm a software developer working on a National EHR. I think I have a fair idea of how complex it is to create/port one type of app to a different platform or two. I also made a simple 2D game during my free time in college and I'm making a 2.5D game right now on a custom made OpenGl 3 engine. I ported my first game to android in practically a week. I wouldnt event want to port this newer one over. 

Hello World in 3D programming starts with a triangle or basic quad. Games however aren't made of that alone. You have to port over your meshes, textures, shaders and matrices. You have to determine optimum resolutions and estimate the upper limit of what you can do instancing and particle wise etc. Trying to do that without proper documentation on a proprietary graphics API must be nightmare. Its more or less shooting in the dark, and those compilation times wont help during that iterative process. Its much worse on a custom engine versus Unity or UE3.

Try doing a hello world with a basic mesh in OpenGL 3 without proper documentation and let's see how well that goes for you.

Do the same for a 2D game using something like SDL and sprites tell me which is a better benchmark for ease of use and difficulty.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Compare that developers account to this video and its a no brainer why many devs won't bother with the WiiU. Its no conspiracy, it's not laziness, it's common sense.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Anonymous sources are trust worthy. -- Anonymous