By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Other Wii U developers respond to the anonymous dev article thrashing the console

Tagged games:

outstanding, did people even read the Eurogamer article? it seems that most didnt. 

it was quite obvious that a lot of issues the programmer spoke of were about dev kits that were used before launch and for launch games. since you know, he said he was making a game for launch and after his game didnt make any money he said that they wont be making another game.

Just because SDK's have a lot of those issues sorted out now, a year and 2 months after launch, does not mean they werent present before. do you think PS3 dev kits and tools are the same they were 8 years ago?

however, the article does show a massive failure from nintendo at launch. developing for the WiiU at that time was clearly a mess. it also shows just out of touch nintendo can be. They want to compete with PSN and Xbox Live, yet they know nothing about them, they dont even understand or have the knowledge about features that those services have. it also shows that nintendo does not listen to their fanbase, because fans have been asking for much better online features and many have been refrencing features that are present in Live/PSN. Yet Nintendo seems rather completely clueless about these features. 

It also shows the issues for a third party dev working with Nintendo, tech support is just in japanese? and they take a full week to answer? While Sony for example, has Dev teams specifically their to help others third party devs in other regions, like Sony Santa Monica in the USA, xDev in EU and an Studio Japan. add to that that the system is failing as well as the games. and the question rises on why on earth should any third party dev in the west work on a WiiU game? 

The "Lazy Devs" argument is now completely invalid, as it turns out Nintendo were the ones who were "Lazy". Their extremely bad handling of SDK's and Tools were the main reason why 3rd Party launch titles were inferior to PS360 games. it also gives a rather good explanation on several cases of EA games. at launch, it was clear developing for the WiiU was time consuming and difficult, so in the case  EA launching Mass Effect 3 on WiiU and ME trilogy on PS360 at the same time, it seems that if porting a single game to the WiiU was so much trouble, then how on earth were EA going to have to port 3? it was Either ME3 at launch or nothing. and it the case of Need For Speed most wanted, it seems Critierion decided it was best to wait a few months to launch the game, as it wanted to a better job and not give out an inferior product, which happened, but it costed them some time. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
burninmylight said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The third party stance will not change on multiplats. Watch. Most of them are western devs and their publishers wont use lower hardware.

I'm not saying the third party stance will change, nor do I expect to. But that's not the point, and I'm surprised you of all people missed it. This is about the ease of development for the Wii U.

Third parties skipping Wii U also has little to do with "lower hardware," and more to do with the fact that western pubs struggle to achieve noteworthy sales on Nintendo home consoles. It could be two PS4s duct taped together and still wouldn't get much outside support because there aren't many third party games that would sell on it. Likewise, the PS2 was clearly the weakest console of its generation (and from everything I've heard, the hardest to program for), yet every publisher was beating down Sony's doors to get their games on it.

Actually...no. I think you missed a Bethesda figurehead speaking about how its too late to try and warm up to third parties now because the box is out. They never ever talked to them about creating the Wii U according to next gen  standards like Sony and Microsoft did. Microsoft and Sony werent even going to get Elder Scrolls online but because they contacted Bethesda ahead of time and seeked their council on the development of their consoles, Bethesda thought since the consoles are up to par it could be a next gen multiplat instead of a PC exclusive. Nintendo has a chance change their brand image but they only thought about themselves once again. Third party aren't partners to them. They don't view them that way and its pretty evident by the way that they treat them. This isn't the 90's where third parties had to bend over to Nintendo. They can ignore Nintendo if Nintendo doesn't work with them . They cant just tell someone "put it on our console..and whatever the problems are just make it work".

The PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube but could hold more space on the disc for larger games. Sony was always ahead of Nintendo ultimately on format, which is why they were always the brand of choice. Happened with the CD's, DVD's and Blu Ray. Nintendo should've known a great portion of their stable marketshare run with third party and should've made a third party friendly console. Sucks to be them because they have so much potential but are the most ignorant of the bunch.

Nope, I remember that. But I still feel like we're making two different points.

I get what you're saying: Nintendo didn't work with devs to make a more attractive console, so now the ship has sailed. My point in my previous response was that it doesn't matter because it's all about the money, not kissing up to third party devs and ease of development. I'm sticking with that, and we can agree to disagree, if we disagree.

And the GC's disc capacity was hardly a factor for the majority of games; it had amazing compression techniques. I can't recall any ports that required an extra disc or had to cut out any significant content to fit onto a mini disc (before anyone says Resident Evil 4 or Tales of Symphonia, I don't consider them ports since they were made with GC in mind and ported to PS2 later). If you want to talk about poor choices when it comes to storage on GC, let's talk about first party memory cards. Those were the real headscratchers.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

I will just leave this here as well... This whole thing is just a stupid big clickbait mess.. I dont understand Eurogamer, why would you give Super Mario 3d World GOTY and then make an article like this? Like wtf

Doesn't the second tweet actually confirm the Anonymous dev's story? He says those problems did exist on the pre-launch SDK and that they've been fixed now. So they did exist when the Anonymous dev was working on it, just not anymore.

Cannoly said:
Anti Nintendo Conspiracy confirmed :D

I think thats been confirmed for quite a while. xD

burninmylight said:

3DS doesn't get that many 3rd party games

Around the Network

-Anonymous dev
-Nintendo article
-Negative criticism
-Published on a popular gaming website

Yep, it is a healthy recipe.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sunK1D said:
It was never about ease of development on the Wii U. It's simple business 101.
Ever since Sony and then MS came into the picture, third-party sales have tanked on Nintendo "consoles." Why develop a game for a Nintendo console when chances are you won't even make your investment back?

Handheld market is a different story seeing as Nintendo has no competition there. Vita? please, Sony needs to do a better job there if they want to compete with Nintendo. Third-party will sell on the 3DS because there isn't an alternative at the moment unlike the console market.

People like to talk about the 3DS/Wii U mutually but their markets dynamic is very different. What works for the 3DS will not work for the Wii U due to competition

Microsoft expanded that further helping bring PC gamers to consoles.

Yes, before the Xbox and Xbox 360, Members of the PC Master race enslaved and looked down upon their console peasant underlings. But brave Microsoft destroyed the PC gaming market and bought equality at all. Now literally everyone who owns a PC also owns an Xbox One or 360 to play ports of PC games as their is no reason to play them on superior hardware with modability that is found on PCs as that is tantomount to digi-heresy!

This is an interesting thread. People seem really, really upset at the developer in the Eurogame article.

However, after reading that article, then reading these tweets, I'm a bit puzzled about what they are supposed to prove, other than that development kits improved over time (which they should).

First, the article said that Nintendo was very late with their network code, which was one of his primary complaints. We know this is true. The Twitter supporters didn't seem to contradict this, nor do they seem to be big in online gaming themselves.

Second, it was crystal clear that he was talking about the pre-launch environment. Saying, "he's wrong because it's better now," means nothing except that things have gotten better (which they should). The guy saying "we weren't there at launch" pretty much takes himself out of the discussion.

It's fine to disagree with the article but the material in the OP doesn't really disprove much at all.

Also, as far as someone writing that as an anonymous source, that should be perfectly obvious. He criticized one of the major players in the industry where he makes his career. In addition to that, it sounds like he works for a major developer/publisher, which likely discourages "insider" talk. Heck, a coworker of mine got written up recently for a work-related Facebook post. There is no mystery about why such a post would be anonymous.

st0pnsw0p said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

I will just leave this here as well... This whole thing is just a stupid big clickbait mess.. I dont understand Eurogamer, why would you give Super Mario 3d World GOTY and then make an article like this? Like wtf

Doesn't the second tweet actually confirm the Anonymous dev's story? He says those problems did exist on the pre-launch SDK and that they've been fixed now. So they did exist when the Anonymous dev was working on it, just not anymore.

Yea but a lot of people think this is still happening now... just look at some of the comments on this site and every other site about this... a lot of the comments r like... Nintendo has been backed to a corner and they r gonna die if they dont do something even though they already have a long time ago

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

pokoko said:
This is an interesting thread. People seem really, really upset at the developer in the Eurogame article.

However, after reading that article, then reading these tweets, I'm a bit puzzled about what they are supposed to prove, other than that development kits improved over time (which they should).

First, the article said that Nintendo was very late with their network code, which was one of his primary complaints. We know this is true. The Twitter supporters didn't seem to contradict this, nor do they seem to be big in online gaming themselves.

Second, it was crystal clear that he was talking about the pre-launch environment. Saying, "he's wrong because it's better now," means nothing except that things have gotten better (which they should). The guy saying "we weren't there at launch" pretty much takes himself out of the discussion.

It's fine to disagree with the article but the material in the OP doesn't really disprove much at all.

Also, as far as someone writing that as an anonymous source, that should be perfectly obvious. He criticized one of the major players in the industry where he makes his career. In addition to that, it sounds like he works for a major developer/publisher, which likely discourages "insider" talk. Heck, a coworker of mine got written up recently for a work-related Facebook post. There is no mystery about why such a post would be anonymous.

The problem is that they have decided to publish the dev's complaint about Ninty's  very early SDK on a very delicate moment for the Wii U, so it was expected to get a lot of buzz.