By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The real reason why SM3DW has low sales

Nintendo offers to much games these days! There is simply to much choice. On previous consoles nintendo offered less games but with insane innovation and value. Now that they offer so much quality games the mario games are getting less attention.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Yes, that's partially true. If you compare the innovation between Mario 64 and 3D World, it's night and day. But the biggest reason is demand. I really think Nintendo games are becoming niche now. When I was 7, in the mid 80's, Super Mario Bros. was the "IT" thing. Every boy in the country was either playing it, or wanted to play it. Is Mario that IP anymore? I don't think it is. I think Minecraft and COD are closer to that than Mario.

If Nintendo wants to come back, they're going to have to release something like a PS4 and rely on 3rd party support to push their systems. I don't think their IP can carry their home consoles anymore unless they can come out with something as mind blowing as OOT again.

Thanks Kirby! You've solved this mystery on first day of the year. Now, we can take the year off and fool around.

Really?

I thought it was the lack of a userbase. Guess not.

I don't think they're very low, infact for the install base its kinda impressive. Plus, this game will extremely long legs. I don't know if it will reach Sunshine but it quite possibly could. Could be just because of the surplus of Mario games. I'm not sure.

Around the Network

I thought it was selling quite well... silly me!*

*A million seller is now bad sales? Especially when it's 20% of a console's userbase?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

So... according to you Nintendo needs more severe software droughts?

Love and tolerate.

Low? I think the sales are pretty damn good for how small the WiiU installbase is.

The game has every chance to pass 5 million, so it will probably make a pretty penny for Nintendo

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Lol and I actually thought the low installbase was the reason. How dumb of me...

I get the feeling a lot of people checked the sales the week it came out, assumed they wouldn't rise any more after that, and went on with their lives making extra certain not to check the numbers again or even use common sense. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9