By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U to rule in Japan: yay!

Hamister said:
The key to success in any territory is;

1) Content

2) Product value

3) Market communication (How well you communicate the message of your product to the market).

Earlier in the year WiiU had little content. It was selling at a relatively high price, leading to low product value. And Nintendo's message about WiiU to the market was both confusing and at times in a total disaray (people had generally no idea if WiiU was a new home system or a new handheld, or if it was a new system at all, or just a new controller for Wii?)

The main reasons behind Nintendos increased sales of WiiU in Japan is that the system finally has some high quality content, it has a price that adds extra value, and also of great importance is the fact that Nintendo discontinued the Wii in order to ease their communication with the market.

At the moment WiiU is on track to have sold approx. 6,5 million systems by the end of this fiscal year (ending March 31 2014). Well below their target of 9 million. Key to higher sales within the next couple of months is to discontinue Wii as soon as possible in every territory. This will dramatically improve Nintendo's message about WiiU, and enhance their market communication. Such a move should increase worldwide WiiU sales as much as 150 000-200 000 each month. With such a move Nintendo could possibly reach sales of 7 million by the end of this fiscal year.

1.5 million in Q1 2014? Incredibly unlikely, impossible even.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
benji232 said:
Mummelmann said:
A holiday boost, no competition and numbers still below Gamecube levels for christmas equals ruling Japan now? I think this is a very premature statement. That said; I'd be surprised if any home console manages more than 12-15 million in Japan this gen.

Right.

GameCube, 2002:
Week 49, 39,849
Week 50, 44,902
Week 51, 66,410
Week 52, 60,290

Wii U, 2013:
Week 49, 46,773
Week 50, 72,982
Week 51, 119,159

Right. Have you seen the 2003 numbers for GC in Japan for this week? Week 51 was 129k as I recall, these numbers are not overly impressive, especially with no competition. The Wii U is still behind the GC in Japan at this point, GC sold about 1.040.000 units in 2003 in Japan, Wii U still has a ways to go to sell over one million in one year here.

"still below Gamecube levels for christmas" really nothing in there about "christmas 2002", is there? Or christmas 2004 for that matter, which was pretty bad. You might think that it's unfair to compare the GC's best holiday with the Wii U's worst (for now) but then again; the Wii U has no competition, the GC already had the PS2 to battle at this point and still managed a pretty good holiday in 2003, even in the West. There's no way to tell whether next holiday will be better or worse with some actual competition, so it is also way too soon to be calling the Wii U the victor in Japan.

People are so hung up on shooting down One and PS4 predictions based on launch hype (and rightly so) and saying that there is no proper data to draw any conclusion from, but make ridiculous claims like the OP at the same time, it's equally silly since we actually don't have any valid data to go by for now. If the Wii U outsells the PS4 weekly through 2014 after the PS4's launch and then beats it during holidays 2014, then we can start making these claims.

I mean, honestly; are you impressed with what the Wii U has accomplished with its one year head start?

You said Wii U was below Gamecube levels for Christmas in Japan even with the holiday boost.
benji232 CORRECTED you by showing the real numbers of both Gamecube & Wii U in their 2nd holiday seasons.
Since Gamecube came out in Japan on September 14, 2001, it went through the 2001 holiday season (a launch holiday season).
He shows the holiday season of 2002 to illustrate the next holiday season without launch fever.
Since Wii U came out in Japan on December 8, 2012, it went through the 2012 holiday season (a launch holiday season).
He shows the holiday season of 2013 to illustrate the next holiday season without launch fever.
In doing this he shows the parallels between Gamecube & Wii U in similar spans of time.

What's the issue here?
You made a statement. benji232 corrected you with documented facts.
He showed aligned comparable time periods when he made his corrections.
It shows clearly that Wii U is in a MUCH better position than Gamecube was.
Which points to the topic of Wii U making its turnaround, a subject I myself have been championing in a certain thread elsewhere on this forum.

The Wii U will not be the Gamecube no matter how much some people want it to be like that.
2014 will make sure Wii U's phoenix rise will be apparent to ALL.
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Aielyn said:
Rafux said:
Protip: Wii U is not the Wii

Wii was a phenomenon and even with that horrible start PS3 is 3 million behind the Wii on Japan.

Those exclusives you listed are first party which always sell well on Nintendo platforms but didn't save the Gamecube or the N64. Monster Hunter will inevitably have a version for each platform and Dragon Quest you don't know yet if DQ11 is WiiU exclusive.

The point regarding PS3 vs Wii was that PS3 had all of those franchises you listed while Wii had the ones I then listed (with Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest not coming until fairly late in the generation), yet the Wii clearly dominated in Japan, horrible start for PS3 or not.

The Dragon Quest franchise (including spinoffs and main series games) hasn't been on any console system other than Nintendo consoles since 2006, with no signs of change in the near future. Meanwhile, there is a Dragon Quest game on the Wii U already. Monster Hunter is also already on the Wii U, and the best-selling PS3 MH sold just half a million copies, whereas the MH3 for Wii sold over a million copies - even adjusting for install base, the Wii comes out ahead. And Capcom have clearly chosen the 3DS for portable MH going forwards, so what are the chances that they'll choose the PS4 for a Monster Hunter any time soon?

Meanwhile, let me spin your argument right back at you - how can you be sure that Kingdom Hearts 3 won't release on Wii U? Or the next Final Fantasy? Or Metal Gear? Or Yakuza (especially given Sega's increasing closeness to Nintendo)? Or Street Fighter? Or Devil May Cry? By the exact same reasoning that you just used for Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest, you cannot dismiss the flipside.

As for Nintendo first-party franchises, there's a key difference - the Wii series. In Japan, Wii Party U has driven Wii U sales through the roof, relatively speaking. Mario 3D World has helped, but Wii Party U is the game that is selling the system the most. And Animal Crossing didn't become a major franchise until the DS version, which came after the Gamecube version (obviously).

Also, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter weren't on Gamecube, and MH wasn't a big franchise at the time.

So really, it all comes down to me demonstrating that your argument is flawed - I'm not arguing that the Wii U franchise lineup will mean the Wii U will dominate. I'm arguing that the franchise lineup you provided doesn't even remotely support the argument that PS4 will dominate. And you have yet to counter that argument.

Because games from those franchises were not released on the far more successfull Wii?

OT: its too early to call, and considering the WiiU will have over a year headstart in Japan, it still barely made anyheadstrat. By this time next year we could already se the WiiU and PS4 at the same level, the PS4 bombing completely or the WiiU being already behind the PS4.

Its to early to call, and seeing that its japan and we are talking about home consoles... well its a tricky business :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Fusioncode said:
Yes I have no reason to argue with you either. If you can't have a debate without having to resort to petty insults then you're not worth arguing with. Fix your attitude. 

Which "petty insult" are you referring to? The term "ignorance" means "lack of knowledge". You showed a lack of knowledge, as I demonstrated within my post. If I wanted to insult you, I'd have said something much harsher than that.

And if I have a bad attitude, it's because the person I'm debating with is showing no interest in actual debate, and is instead trying to assert their opinion as fact, while, as I said, showing ignorance.

Aielyn said:
Fusioncode said:
Yes I have no reason to argue with you either. If you can't have a debate without having to resort to petty insults then you're not worth arguing with. Fix your attitude. 

Which "petty insult" are you referring to? The term "ignorance" means "lack of knowledge". You showed a lack of knowledge, as I demonstrated within my post. If I wanted to insult you, I'd have said something much harsher than that.

And if I have a bad attitude, it's because the person I'm debating with is showing no interest in actual debate, and is instead trying to assert their opinion as fact, while, as I said, showing ignorance.

You are such a smug asshat.

moderated by Tor

Around the Network
KingKazuma34 said:
This thread will be funny in a year...

Why wait?

Aielyn said:
Fusioncode said:

Like I said,  I'm not gonna bother arguing with someone who has such a smug, condescending attitude. Let me know when you want to grow up, until then, we're done here. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

johnlucas said:
Mummelmann said:
benji232 said:
Mummelmann said:
A holiday boost, no competition and numbers still below Gamecube levels for christmas equals ruling Japan now? I think this is a very premature statement. That said; I'd be surprised if any home console manages more than 12-15 million in Japan this gen.

Right.

GameCube, 2002:
Week 49, 39,849
Week 50, 44,902
Week 51, 66,410
Week 52, 60,290

Wii U, 2013:
Week 49, 46,773
Week 50, 72,982
Week 51, 119,159

Right. Have you seen the 2003 numbers for GC in Japan for this week? Week 51 was 129k as I recall, these numbers are not overly impressive, especially with no competition. The Wii U is still behind the GC in Japan at this point, GC sold about 1.040.000 units in 2003 in Japan, Wii U still has a ways to go to sell over one million in one year here.

"still below Gamecube levels for christmas" really nothing in there about "christmas 2002", is there? Or christmas 2004 for that matter, which was pretty bad. You might think that it's unfair to compare the GC's best holiday with the Wii U's worst (for now) but then again; the Wii U has no competition, the GC already had the PS2 to battle at this point and still managed a pretty good holiday in 2003, even in the West. There's no way to tell whether next holiday will be better or worse with some actual competition, so it is also way too soon to be calling the Wii U the victor in Japan.

People are so hung up on shooting down One and PS4 predictions based on launch hype (and rightly so) and saying that there is no proper data to draw any conclusion from, but make ridiculous claims like the OP at the same time, it's equally silly since we actually don't have any valid data to go by for now. If the Wii U outsells the PS4 weekly through 2014 after the PS4's launch and then beats it during holidays 2014, then we can start making these claims.

I mean, honestly; are you impressed with what the Wii U has accomplished with its one year head start?

You said Wii U was below Gamecube levels for Christmas in Japan even with the holiday boost.
benji232 CORRECTED you by showing the real numbers of both Gamecube & Wii U in their 2nd holiday seasons.
Since Gamecube came out in Japan on September 14, 2001, it went through the 2001 holiday season (a launch holiday season).
He shows the holiday season of 2002 to illustrate the next holiday season without launch fever.
Since Wii U came out in Japan on December 8, 2012, it went through the 2012 holiday season (a launch holiday season).
He shows the holiday season of 2013 to illustrate the next holiday season without launch fever.
In doing this he shows the parallels between Gamecube & Wii U in similar spans of time.

What's the issue here?
You made a statement. benji232 corrected you with documented facts.
He showed aligned comparable time periods when he made his corrections.
It shows clearly that Wii U is in a MUCH better position than Gamecube was.
Which points to the topic of Wii U making its turnaround, a subject I myself have been championing in a certain thread elsewhere on this forum.

The Wii U will not be the Gamecube no matter how much some people want it to be like that.
2014 will make sure Wii U's phoenix rise will be apparent to ALL.
John Lucas

Err how? The Gamecube was taking on the PS2 during holiday 2002. The WiiU's only competition is a dying 7 year old console. The WiiU has basically had the holiday to itself. We'll have to wait until the PS4 comes out too see the WiiU take on any real competition.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Aielyn said:
Fusioncode said:
The WiiU may have a pretty good library but there are only 3 major games coming out for the system next year. Donkey Kong CTF, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. Inbetween those releases WiiU numbers will drop significantly, and it shouldn't be surprising to see the system doing 10k numbers every week.

Thanks, you just confirmed for me that there's no reason whatsoever to waste my time arguing with you. Whether your ignorance is willful or not, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Among other things, there's the fact that Yarn Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors, X, and Bayonetta 2 are all confirmed for 2014, at least two of which would have to be called major games by any metric. There's also the third Sonic title (which is almost certainly Mario x Sonic). Another demonstration of your absurdity is that you suggest that Wii Party U is selling because of the included Wiimote... when it's bundled with the Wii U, like I said.

So yeah, unless you have something real to offer, I'm done arguing with you.

How are you defining that atleast two of the three games you mentioned have to be considered big titles?  Are you saying that they'll move a noticeable amount of hardware compared to the norm?  Because I think that's definitely debatable and not nearly as obvious and absurd to refute as you try to make it sound.  What's the evidence for 2 of those four games being large notable system sellers?

I agree that sales of 1,5 million WiiU in Q1 2014 sounds impossible. I based my 6,5 million calculation on the following facts;

Worldwide sales though Dec 14:

4,7 million

My worldwide sales projection for week ending Dec 21:

0,3 million

My worldwide sales projection for the last week of 2013 (which is a 10 day week):

0,2 million

If Nintendo can maintain weekly sales of aproximately 100 000 WiiU in Q1 2014, they will reach 6,5 million systems by the end of their fiscal year.