By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U to rule in Japan: yay!

Fusioncode said:
Aielyn said:
So tell me again how PS4 has all of the exclusives that the Japanese people want.

Are you seriously comparing the Wii to the WiiU?

Read the last line of the post that you quoted, the one line I left of my post in the quote. That was the point of the post - to demonstrate that Rafux's argument was invalid. I was not asserting anything about how Wii U or PS4 would sell, I was only refuting the assertion that the PS4 will dominate because of all of the "important Japanese franchises" it'll have.

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
He can pull all kinds of mental gymnastics to somehow make Wii U look better than it really is.

There's a lot of mental gymnastics going on in here, but none of it is mine.

Aielyn said:
Fusioncode said:
Aielyn said:
So tell me again how PS4 has all of the exclusives that the Japanese people want.

Are you seriously comparing the Wii to the WiiU?

Read the last line of the post that you quoted, the one line I left of my post in the quote. That was the point of the post - to demonstrate that Rafux's argument was invalid. I was not asserting anything about how Wii U or PS4 would sell, I was only refuting the assertion that the PS4 will dominate because of all of the "important Japanese franchises" it'll have.

That whole argument relies on the fact that the WiiU is the same as the Wii. The Wii could survive without those franchises because it was flying off store shelves. It didn't need 3rd party support because it could sell on Wii Sports/ Wii Play alone. The WiiU on the other hand will need major franchises if it wants to have a chance at beating the PS4. It didn't even start outselling the PS3 until the holiday boost kicked in, after which it will drop back down to sub 10k numbers at best. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

farlaff said:
naruball said:
farlaff said:
naruball said:
farlaff said:

if we take what is happening now in, say, the US, where the sales of the U are not much far from those of the PS4 (even though the latter has all the hype train to help it) as any indication, Japan is to see Nintendo rule there again 

Not to rain on your parade, but not sure if serious. You do realize that the ps4 is suffering from massive shortages, right? Basically, every console they can ship, they sell. Even after the holidays, if there are no shortages, the ps4 will suffer from a drought and some will wait till next holidays when it has a decent library. I think in order to make a fair comparison, you'll have to wait till then.

Now when it comes to Japan, you absolutely have to wait till the ps4 launch. No matter how much you love Ninty, you just have to wait till after the ps4 shortages end in Japan before jumping to any conclusions. 

I AM serious. The supposed shortage is just part of the answer. If that is all of it, why is PS3 still selling so well? Wouldn't it be natural that those people buying the 3 should in fact be waiting to buy the 4? 

For the regular Joe, PS4 is not much of an upgrade and the market WILL suffer from that. Whereas, debatable as it is, the gamepad does add something different.

The fact that the ps3 is selling relatively well is by no means an inidication that the ps4 will not sell well. You're assuming that it's the same audience buying ps3's that would buy ps4's. The people buying ps3's might be casuals who don't care about the next generation, people who weren't planning on buying a ps4 till 2016 or people who bought it as a gift (and a ps4 is not an affordable gift for friends or non immediate family). The fact that there are constantly shortages suggests that there is strong demand for a ps4. I mean it's almost out of stock everywhere. Just because the gamepad sounds more of an upgrade to you, it doesn't mean that the masses see it that way.

The regular Joe won't buy a ps4 any time soon. It's the hardcore gamers that buy ps4, people who are willing to line up for hours to get their console of choice. The ps3 created a huge hardcore community and it's thanks to them that the ps4 is doing so well. They made the ps4 into a hot item which now even people that weren't planning on buying one, are (therea are such reports from vgc members about what their friends or their customers have done). It's a lot like an iphone. Is a new model necessary or much of an upgrade? Not at all. But because of social media and all the websites, such as 9gag, there's a lot of pressure on teenagers and young adults to keep up in order to look cool. Unfortunately for Ninty, the wiiU doesn't have that image. It's simply not a desireable product to that democraphic.The last positive wiiU post I saw on 9gag about wiiU was a few months ago (it basically showed how wiiU despite popular opinion HAS games), while I see several almost every day about ps4's and how excited people were when they got one for Christmas (from their gfs or parents). There are also a few about Xbone, but not nearly as many as for ps4. Back when wii was popular there were tons of posts of people saying how their tv broke from throwing their wii controler by accodent, or tv starts using the controlers. Now, there's nothing for wiiu (though there are several postitve ones about Ninty characters/franchises). Ninty never had a big enough hardcore fanbase and they haven't gotten the casuals on board yet. 

I hear and respect all of your points, but my thread is based on Japan only, not the general market, as your post seems to connect to it.  I just hope that WiiU will dominate there and, as of now, the numbers seem to be at my side. It can change in the future, but things are not too shabby for a machine totally doomed just one month ago.

Absolutely agreed with the bolded. My disagreement was with your point about America and that's why I left the rest of the op out. Also, like I said, it's a bit premature to make any predictions in Japan but I guess we'll have to wait and see. It'd be interesting to bump this thread if you end up being right though. 

Fusioncode said:
That whole argument relies on the fact that the WiiU is the same as the Wii. The Wii could survive without those franchises because it was flying off store shelves. It didn't need 3rd party support because it could sell on Wii Sports/ Wii Play alone. The WiiU on the other hand will need major franchises if it wants to have a chance at beating the PS4. It didn't even start outselling the PS3 until the holiday boost kicked in, after which it will drop back down to sub 10k numbers at best. 

No, it doesn't rely on the fact that the Wii U is the same as the Wii. The Wii only got a real Dragon Quest right at the end of its life. It got Monster Hunter in 2009, three years into its life.

And it wasn't the "holiday boost" that made the Wii U start selling well. It was Wii Party U. Wii Party U released in the week of the 3rd of November in Japan. In the week of the 27th of October, the Wii U sold just under 3k units. In the week of the 3rd of November, it sold about 40k. Wii Party U was in the new bundle that Nintendo released. The worst week since then was the week of the 17th of November, at about 15k, which had only been beaten in 2013, prior to the release of Wii Party U, four times - the first two weeks of 2013, the week ending 31st of March, and the week ending 14th of July, the latter two aligning with the weeks that Dragon Quest X and Pikmin 3, respectively, released. Neither one produced a sustained sales pattern. Wii Party U has since been selling almost exactly the same number of copies as the Wii U has been selling units, usually slightly more.

Wii Party U is, without a doubt, selling the Wii U in Japan. Let me put it into perspective in another way - its first week, it sold more copies than Super Mario 3D World did in its first week by a factor of two; and Super Mario 3D World released later in November, so it should have performed better if it was all about a "holiday boost". Furthermore, while the Wii U has increased in sales because of a "holiday boost", the boost would have been seen on non-Nintendo systems, too... this has not been observed. In the week of the 30th of November, the PS3 sold about 13.5k, the PSV sold about 26.4k, 3DS sold about 103.3k, and the Wii U sold about 28.3k. Media Create put the week of the 22nd of December at 24.6k for the PS3 (+82%), 55.6k for the PSV (+111%), 232.6k for the 3DS (+125%), and 109.1k for the Wii U (+285%). The "holiday boost" might explain about a doubling over that period (+100% or so, as seen for PS3, PSV, and 3DS), but it doesn't explain an increase of 285%. And that was AFTER the initial Wii Party U boost.

Anybody who argues that the Wii U is dropping to about 10k after the holidays is kidding themselves. In the holiday period of 2012, the PS3 sold 65k in its peak week (the week of New Years). It then fluctuated around 14-25k per week for the next four months. The Wii U is up to 109.1k two week earlier, and you're predicting it'll drop to 10k?

Yeah, you're completely full of it.

Around the Network
vivster said:
If you think Remote Play is what will draw the japanese then the WiiU will have an even tougher time against the PS4. The install base of Vita is bigger than that of the WiiU and by your logic every Vita would be a potential PS4 owner.

I don't see the WiiU dominating anything in Japan unless it starts pooping out smartphones.

You got a good point there. I myself thought they could be willing to take some financial hit and bundle Vitas with 4s. I would be in line lol. But Nintendo is also investing in bringing 3DS content closer to that of the U and the quality of the remote play is better on the gamepad.

Aielyn said:
Fusioncode said:

No, it doesn't rely on the fact that the Wii U is the same as the Wii. The Wii only got a real Dragon Quest right at the end of its life. It got Monster Hunter in 2009, three years into its life.

And it wasn't the "holiday boost" that made the Wii U start selling well. It was Wii Party U. Wii Party U released in the week of the 3rd of November in Japan. In the week of the 27th of October, the Wii U sold just under 3k units. In the week of the 3rd of November, it sold about 40k. Wii Party U was in the new bundle that Nintendo released. The worst week since then was the week of the 17th of November, at about 15k, which had only been beaten in 2013, prior to the release of Wii Party U, four times - the first two weeks of 2013, the week ending 31st of March, and the week ending 14th of July, the latter two aligning with the weeks that Dragon Quest X and Pikmin 3, respectively, released. Neither one produced a sustained sales pattern. Wii Party U has since been selling almost exactly the same number of copies as the Wii U has been selling units, usually slightly more.

Wii Party U is, without a doubt, selling the Wii U in Japan. Let me put it into perspective in another way - its first week, it sold more copies than Super Mario 3D World did in its first week by a factor of two; and Super Mario 3D World released later in November, so it should have performed better if it was all about a "holiday boost". Furthermore, while the Wii U has increased in sales because of a "holiday boost", the boost would have been seen on non-Nintendo systems, too... this has not been observed. In the week of the 30th of November, the PS3 sold about 13.5k, the PSV sold about 26.4k, 3DS sold about 103.3k, and the Wii U sold about 28.3k. Media Create put the week of the 22nd of December at 24.6k for the PS3 (+82%), 55.6k for the PSV (+111%), 232.6k for the 3DS (+125%), and 109.1k for the Wii U (+285%). The "holiday boost" might explain about a doubling over that period (+100% or so, as seen for PS3, PSV, and 3DS), but it doesn't explain an increase of 285%. And that was AFTER the initial Wii Party U boost.

Anybody who argues that the Wii U is dropping to about 10k after the holidays is kidding themselves. In the holiday period of 2012, the PS3 sold 65k in its peak week (the week of New Years). It then fluctuated around 14-25k per week for the next four months. The Wii U is up to 109.1k two week earlier, and you're predicting it'll drop to 10k?

Yeah, you're completely full of it.

I don't believe for a second that the WiiU Party U is going to be a huge system seller for the WiiU. It will continue to sell well but that's only because Nintendo is giving away a free Wiimote with every copy, imagine if Microsoft or Sony gave away a free controller with one of their games. The WiiU may have a pretty good library but there are only 3 major games coming out for the system next year. Donkey Kong CTF, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. Inbetween those releases WiiU numbers will drop significantly, and it shouldn't be surprising to see the system doing 10k numbers every week. 

Using the PS3 is a bad example because it's situation was never as dire as the WiiU's. The WiiU was pulling 3k weekly in Japan at it's lowest state, the PS3 never dropped that far. They managed to sell around 10k or better every week without any major game releases and a much higher price tag. 

Fusioncode said:
The WiiU may have a pretty good library but there are only 3 major games coming out for the system next year. Donkey Kong CTF, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. Inbetween those releases WiiU numbers will drop significantly, and it shouldn't be surprising to see the system doing 10k numbers every week.

Thanks, you just confirmed for me that there's no reason whatsoever to waste my time arguing with you. Whether your ignorance is willful or not, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Among other things, there's the fact that Yarn Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors, X, and Bayonetta 2 are all confirmed for 2014, at least two of which would have to be called major games by any metric. There's also the third Sonic title (which is almost certainly Mario x Sonic). Another demonstration of your absurdity is that you suggest that Wii Party U is selling because of the included Wiimote... when it's bundled with the Wii U, like I said.

So yeah, unless you have something real to offer, I'm done arguing with you.

Aielyn said:
Fusioncode said:
The WiiU may have a pretty good library but there are only 3 major games coming out for the system next year. Donkey Kong CTF, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. Inbetween those releases WiiU numbers will drop significantly, and it shouldn't be surprising to see the system doing 10k numbers every week.

Thanks, you just confirmed for me that there's no reason whatsoever to waste my time arguing with you. Whether your ignorance is willful or not, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Among other things, there's the fact that Yarn Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors, X, and Bayonetta 2 are all confirmed for 2014, at least two of which would have to be called major games by any metric. There's also the third Sonic title (which is almost certainly Mario x Sonic). Another demonstration of your absurdity is that you suggest that Wii Party U is selling because of the included Wiimote... when it's bundled with the Wii U, like I said.

So yeah, unless you have something real to offer, I'm done arguing with you.

Yes I have no reason to argue with you either. If you can't have a debate without having to resort to petty insults then you're not worth arguing with. Fix your attitude. 

The key to success in any territory is;

1) Content

2) Product value

3) Market communication (How well you communicate the message of your product to the market).

Earlier in the year WiiU had little content. It was selling at a relatively high price, leading to low product value. And Nintendo's message about WiiU to the market was both confusing and at times in a total disaray (people had generally no idea if WiiU was a new home system or a new handheld, or if it was a new system at all, or just a new controller for Wii?)

The main reasons behind Nintendos increased sales of WiiU in Japan is that the system finally has some high quality content, it has a price that adds extra value, and also of great importance is the fact that Nintendo discontinued the Wii in order to ease their communication with the market.

At the moment WiiU is on track to have sold approx. 6,5 million systems by the end of this fiscal year (ending March 31 2014). Well below their target of 9 million. Key to higher sales within the next couple of months is to discontinue Wii as soon as possible in every territory. This will dramatically improve Nintendo's message about WiiU, and enhance their market communication. Such a move should increase worldwide WiiU sales as much as 150 000-200 000 each month. With such a move Nintendo could possibly reach sales of 7 million by the end of this fiscal year.