By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U to rule in Japan: yay!

Goremichel said:
aryu said:
Goremichel said:
Wii U will winning the run of the most selling hardware. Second place will be xbox one, third xbox 360, than ps3 and than ps4

This was actually hard to read lol your grammar is horrible.

It is so horrible because I am a german boy, I am not good with the english language

Even so, your prediction is ridiculous. How can you expect the Wii U to sell more than any other console when it has had such a bad year without any competition? It's not the Wii, you do know that right?

Based on current figures, it's more likely to be PS4>PS3>360>One>WiiU.

Also PS3 has already sold more than the X360 according to vgchartz so your prediction is already incorrect.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
johnlucas said:

You said Wii U was below Gamecube levels for Christmas in Japan even with the holiday boost.
benji232 CORRECTED you by showing the real numbers of both Gamecube & Wii U in their 2nd holiday seasons.
Since Gamecube came out in Japan on September 14, 2001, it went through the 2001 holiday season (a launch holiday season).
He shows the holiday season of 2002 to illustrate the next holiday season without launch fever.
Since Wii U came out in Japan on December 8, 2012, it went through the 2012 holiday season (a launch holiday season).
He shows the holiday season of 2013 to illustrate the next holiday season without launch fever.
In doing this he shows the parallels between Gamecube & Wii U in similar spans of time.

What's the issue here?
You made a statement. benji232 corrected you with documented facts.
He showed aligned comparable time periods when he made his corrections.
It shows clearly that Wii U is in a MUCH better position than Gamecube was.
Which points to the topic of Wii U making its turnaround, a subject I myself have been championing in a certain thread elsewhere on this forum.

The Wii U will not be the Gamecube no matter how much some people want it to be like that.
2014 will make sure Wii U's phoenix rise will be apparent to ALL.
John Lucas

Yes, he did show me holiday 2002 numbers, I never specified 2002. My point is that the Gamecube has moved more hardware during the holidays in Japan than the Wii U currently is, and that was even while competing with the world record breaking PS2 aka the best selling console in the history of video games. The PS2 has likely sold around 20-25 million units and Japan, about 5-6 times more than the Gamecube and yet the Wii U is failing to beat these numbers without competition. That's kind of amazing when you think about it.

You always berate others for clinging to the launch hype and drawing conclusions based on poor or even non-existant data and then go about claiming the Wii U's victory in Japan even before the competition has launched, in other words; based on poor and/or non-existant data and it's ridiculous.

What't the issue here? I correctly stated that the Wii U has yet to reach Gamecube levels in holiday sales in Japan, benji and you were the ones who imposed 2002 numbers on the argument, I never specified that, as is plain to see in my post. What I'm telling you is that the Gamecube managed higher weekly sales while competing with the best selling console in history and that is not an insignificant piece of data. We don't know anything about what the PS4 will do in Japan, what we do know is that in all regions of the world at present; the Wii U has not set the bar very high at all. We simply don't know how the Wii U will fare with actual competition, the PS3 was never big there, it is still well below 10 million units and is 7 years old by now.

For the record; I think the Wii U will be up yoy in both Japan and globally in 2014 but not nearly as much as many are assuming and I also believe that the vast majority of uses are seriously overestimating the PS4 and the 8th gen in general.

And the Wii U won't be what the Wii never was no matter how much you want it to be, I find it hilarious to be adressed on this matter by a person who uses cherry picked data to promote all his points ("domination" in a Japan with no competition being one of them, Wii U beating the PS4 for a week in NA due to extreme supply issues despite yelling about the Wii's potential with sufficent supplies back in the day, in your youtube video that is) and who believes the Wii U will sell at least 39 million on average every year from here on out (given that it has a life cycle the same as the PS3) and a 900-1000% increase in year-over-year sales in 2014 while both the One and PS4 will fall flat on their asses. It is incredibly, fantastically ridiculous at best.

Yeah, you're back to linking people to your ridiculous UNITY thread, it must be terribly upsetting that it has all but died lately and all the attention is seeping away. Even your most stoic fans have retreated to their foxholes and even refuse to answer most of my posts and are blocking their profiles. It's rather amazing to witness, almost as amazing as you trying to come in here and school me. Especially after the PM's that were revealed, they uncovered that your agenda and motivation is exactly what I said it was.

I suggest you go read up some more on hardware architecture and programming instead, fill in the blanks, so to speak.

2002 is not launch. 2001 would have been launch numbers.
You were proven wrong by documented facts.
Gamecube's best year outside of launch was 2002. The console went down each year after that in the face of the mighty PS2.
How in the world can the Gamecube outsell later the Wii U when even in its second season Wii U outsells it?
Wii U outsold Gamecube in its launch period too. There's no way Gamecube got better in Japan in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006.

He showed you Week 51 on both consoles.
Yes that means that it shows a September period for the Gamecube & a November period for the Wii U.
52 weeks in a year so it's the week before the full year.
It doesn't take much imagination to see Gamecube's holiday trajectory & Wii U's holiday trajectory based on those numbers.
benji232 disproved your statement. Deal with it.

Since you wanna say Gamecube was up against the PS2 well I counter you in saying that in the early 2000s ALL home consoles sold better in Japan than in 2013.
Nothing will EVER be quite exact. There are many variables in the equation.
There's always a different market reality with every generation influencing the sales power.

Now as for all this conspiracy theory nonsense you're coming up with—my supposed "agenda" & all this.
What was said in those PRIVATE messages was the same thing I said on the forum just uncensored.
It's the same thing I would say live on the forum if not for the sake of civility.
Those messages were not supposed to be posted on the forum but there's nothing incriminating about anything in it.
Trying to make a caricature out of me trying to paint me as some Jim Jones cult leader is frankly silly.
You don't like how I dismantled your arguments in extreme detail in that massive rebuttal.
You don't like how I challenge the negative narrative & refuse to buckle.

Retreat to the foxholes??? It's the holiday season, Mummelmann. People are spending time with their families for God's sake!
VGChartz can wait. Who wants to be up here all the time arguing it out? People are taking a break. Me included.
People DO have a life outside of this website, Mummelmann.

Hardware & architecture means not a doggone thing. It's software that matters.
All the tech in the world won't save you if your games aren't hot. Ask the Vita.
As Wii U gets those games, those sales will improve & improve & improve.
And then any arguments comparing Wii U to Gamecube will look quaint.
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

"You don't like how I dismantled your arguments in extreme detail in that massive rebuttal."

You never even adressed the arguments, you danced around them like you always do and filled your 35.000 word post with a bunch of philosophical nonsense and nostalgia tinged speculation. You also failed to adress my other posts in the thread, some of which held further arguments that you simply bypassed, I guess you could claim that there isn't enough time to have at it all but it's not my fault that you're so hung up on word count rather than content and take forever to answer one little post. I'm not sure which it is; if you're simply being in denial on purpose or if you're actually not bright enough to see how much a fool you're making yourself look in here lately. "Detail". Off-topic and self doting hogwash sprinkled with uninteresting Nintendo history lessons and a hack new age pshych analysis and the rhetoric of a creationist.

"People DO have a life outside of this website, Mummelmann." Implying that I don't? The difference is that I don't take several weeks to write essays on essentially nothing at all.

"Hardware & architecture means not a doggone thing. It's software that matters." Did I say that hardware and tech sell consoles? No, I'm talking about your knowledge on the field that you tried to pass off in your thread. It was really, really terrible and you should never have gone there. You think that software development cost is affected by the number of copies printed and the wattage of the chipsets for chrissake, and you never explained how developing games for one HD console will somehow be cheaper than others. Not to mention the massive contradictions all over the place. The fact that you're deflecting yet again is simply hilarious. It's like trying to enter a boxing match with someone who refuses to step into the ring and instead stands on the sideline shouting about his past, imginary records and victories with a bunch of wild-eyed teenage kids cheering him on.

Even benji himself saw my position and understands that we don't have the full story here, the data is incomplete and so he let it go, as did I until you showed up with your nonsense. You're just angry that I'm exposing your antics and lack of insight for all to see in your dear UNITY thread and we all know how much you love using incomplete data to further your hollow arguments.

Your behemoth posts are void of factual statements and rife with speculation, falsehoods and sheer delusion and your videos are plain awful. They're downright pathetic and you're the last one to talk about having a life outside of here, you're the one hell-bent on becoming an internet star and you hate that I got you pegged so badly so now you're jumping into arguments on other people's behalf, once again setting the parameters of the discussion (telling me which year I'm allowed to cite since there is no 8th gen competition in Japan) and lashing wildly in my direction.

Happy new year, spend 2014 learning something, you have obviously been at an intellectual standstill since 2007.

ICStats said:
You would make it sound like Sony never had a chance against Nintendo's franchises, but PS1 & PS2 sure did by a 4 or 5 to 1 margin in Japan.

Half of those top games are from the 90's.  Those numbers from the 90's don't matter, and neither do the DS and Wii numbers port freely to the Wii U.

OK, I guess I'm going to have to say this yet again.

I wasn't arguing for the Wii U dominating because of the franchises I listed. I was providing a counterargument to the argument put forward by Rafux, by demonstrating that the franchises that he listed did not decide the 7th generation's lineup, and that most of the franchises he listed aren't actually all that dominant in Japan in the first place.

The key here was that Wii U has strong franchises to counter the Sony franchises listed. Neither one has some sort of natural advantage based on the franchises set for release, and a much more nuanced analysis would be necessary to make a serious prediction of how Wii U and PS4 will perform compared to each other.

Context matters.

aryu said:
Goremichel said:
aryu said:
Goremichel said:
Wii U will winning the run of the most selling hardware. Second place will be xbox one, third xbox 360, than ps3 and than ps4

It is so horrible because I am a german boy, I am not good with the english language

Even so, your prediction is ridiculous. How can you expect the Wii U to sell more than any other console when it has had such a bad year without any competition? It's not the Wii, you do know that right?

Also PS3 has already sold more than the X360 according to vgchartz so your prediction is already incorrect.

Its only one year... lets wait. Trust me :))

Zelda - Breath of the Wild for Nintendo Switch.... Incredable!!!

Around the Network
Goremichel said:
aryu said:
Goremichel said:
aryu said:
Goremichel said:

Its only one year... lets wait. Trust me :))

I don't agree with your prediction and remember it's only a prediction so why should I trust you? Do you know the future? I think not. I'd rather stick with statistical data and trends when someone is predicting sales.

You also say it's only one year but that's a whole one year lead for the Wii U against the One and PS4 and even after that lead, the PS4 is just 1.6million behind and quickly catching up. In the span of 2 weeks ONE+PS4 sales >WiiU LTD.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

Aielyn said:
ICStats said:
You would make it sound like Sony never had a chance against Nintendo's franchises, but PS1 & PS2 sure did by a 4 or 5 to 1 margin in Japan.

Half of those top games are from the 90's.  Those numbers from the 90's don't matter, and neither do the DS and Wii numbers port freely to the Wii U.

OK, I guess I'm going to have to say this yet again.

I wasn't arguing for the Wii U dominating because of the franchises I listed. I was providing a counterargument to the argument put forward by Rafux, by demonstrating that the franchises that he listed did not decide the 7th generation's lineup, and that most of the franchises he listed aren't actually all that dominant in Japan in the first place.

The key here was that Wii U has strong franchises to counter the Sony franchises listed. Neither one has some sort of natural advantage based on the franchises set for release, and a much more nuanced analysis would be necessary to make a serious prediction of how Wii U and PS4 will perform compared to each other.

Context matters.

bolded: and the only sony franchise listed was gran turismo.

In the current Japanese home console climate, Wii U is definitely putting up some good numbers. That's not disputable, as the latest charts show it sold well over 4x more than the rest of the consoles combined and the last couple weeks have seen a steady increase in sales (100%+ holiday bump versus PS3's 0%).

But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's competing with some pretty old gear.

It's all about the game.

Random note: Wii U 8gb Skylanders edition is $199 in Canada! Spread the word!

Tried to create a thread but keep getting an error message :S

lilwingman said:
In the current Japanese home console climate, Wii U is definitely putting up some good numbers. That's not disputable, as the latest charts show it sold well over 4x more than the rest of the consoles combined and the last couple weeks have seen a steady increase in sales (100%+ holiday bump versus PS3's 0%).

But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's competing with some pretty old gear.

OK, but the fact is that the competition was already there. There is no apparent reason why it could not be a success before. I just do not believe the theory that Wii Party is the sole responsible for the rise in sales. Maybe the word of mouth has finally kicked in and a movement of growth is stablished there. That is what I hope for.