By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Low clock speed a challenge for PS4 development too (Project CARS dev)

Tagged games:

RenCutypoison said:
Great article, but multi threading difficulties are no news. Time for devs to start optimizingg (Remember johnattan blow)

This is the first I've heard of devs have difficulties with PS4's clock speed, so unless I missed something, it's news in that sense.

It was foreseeable though, given the issues Wii U had with the same problem, and the lower clock speeds of PS4/Xbone compared to PS3/360.

Around the Network

The title is misleading.it should say dev is lazy to program for multicore

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

AZWification said:

They  didn't complain a lot  about the Wii U so  this seems weird.

I feel this is likely due to expectations. In many ways the PS4 probably stacks up well enough against a decent PC, the CPU perhaps being an area of relative weakness and something the developers have to learn to work around.

It's likely the developers had no such expectations of the Wii U and although it's significantly less powerful, by all acounts it is a very well balanced machine.  It's likely, and probably expected by the developers, that they simply had to scale everything back for the Wii U but maybe there was no one area where they had particular difficulty.

coolguy said:
The title is misleading.it should say dev is lazy to program for multicore

Its not misleading; they are facing development challenges due to PS4's low clock speed.

"dev is lazy to program for multicore" is misleading, because if you'd read the OP, you would know they ARE programming for multicore. I even bolded it: It’s been challenging splitting the renderer further across threads in an even more fine-grained manner – even splitting already-small tasks into 2-3ms chunks. The single-core speed is quite slow compared to a high-end PC though so splitting across cores is essential.

curl-6 said:
RenCutypoison said:
Great article, but multi threading difficulties are no news. Time for devs to start optimizingg (Remember johnattan blow)

This is the first I've heard of devs have difficulties with PS4's clock speed, so unless I missed something, it's news in that sense.

It was foreseeable though, given the issues Wii U had with the same problem, and the lower clock speeds of PS4/Xbone compared to PS3/360.

The CPU clockspeed isn't actually the problem.
It's the IPC or Instructions Per Clock, Jaguar falls flat on it's face in that regard.
For example... Jaguar might be able to execute 1 instruction per mhz, where-as AMD's Trinity might be able to execute 4 instructions per mhz, thus at the same "mhz/ghz" rating, Trinity would be 4x as fast. (This is why the Pentium 4/D fell on it's face.)

But that's to be completely expected.
Console manufacturers haven't taken CPU performance seriously for a long time, it's the graphics that sells the games so they tend to throw everything at Bandwidth and GPU power.
Microsoft and Sony would have actually had far better performance if they wen't with a Trinity/Llano based Quad-Core CPU, but that's a story for another day...

However, the difference between this generation and last generations CPU's is that despite them all being pathetically slow... With this new generation the GPU is going to be taking on some more of the tasks that is traditionally handled by the CPU, this is something that will take time for developers to get used to having to do and play with as really, only PC developers have done anything of the sorts.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I love how the title is misleading to bring people here.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
I love how the title is misleading to bring people here.

It is not misleading.

The dev says low clock speed has forces them to split tasks across cores in very small chunks, which they described as challenging.

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:
RenCutypoison said:

The CPU clockspeed isn't actually the problem.
It's the IPC or Instructions Per Clock, Jaguar falls flat on it's face in that regard.
For example... Jaguar might be able to execute 1 instruction per mhz, where-as AMD's Trinity might be able to execute 4 instructions per mhz, thus at the same "mhz/ghz" rating, Trinity would be 4x as fast. (This is why the Pentium 4/D fell on it's face.)

Jaguar does only 1 IPC? I was unaware of this. So they rely on a higher core count in the same way PS3/360 relied on high clock speed?

Also, didn't the guy who hacked Wii U and revealed its clockspeed say it did 2 or 3 IPC? (Though it has only three cores)

It is, of course, you dont think you should clarify in your title " compared to PC " lol , because you know the thread would be useless in that way " PC > console ? Genius "

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

curl-6 said:

Jaguar does only 1 IPC? I was unaware of this. So they rely on a higher core count in the same way PS3/360 relied on high clock speed?

Also, didn't the guy who hacked Wii U and revealed its clockspeed say it did 2 or 3 IPC? (Though it has only three cores)

It was an example.

There is more to IPC than the decoding stages anyway. (Which Jaguar sits at 2.)

PS3/360 did rely on clockspeed (And at the time, core counts) to make up for their IPC deficit.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--