By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Low clock speed a challenge for PS4 development too (Project CARS dev)

Tagged games:

Hynad said:
fatslob-:O said:
Hynad said:

Yeah, it would be less expensive for them to just produce it for a single platform... Because the slightly more complicated PS4 makes development cost, like, quadruple. Why? I don't know. You tell me. ¬_¬

The return on investment will be more than worth it.

It sounds like you admitted defeat. 

It's not a competition. There's nothing to win or lose. Why do you feel like you're winning something? You're just being uselessly unreasonable.

Your kind is one of the worse.

It sounds like you still don't understand my point then. 

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Hynad said:

Yeah, it would be less expensive for them to just produce it for a single platform... Because the slightly more complicated PS4 makes development cost, like, quadruple. Why? I don't know. You tell me. ¬_¬

It's not a competition. There's nothing to win or lose. Why do you feel like you're winning something? You're just being uselessly unreasonable.

Why? Because I don't agree that it would make that big of a difference on costs? 

DeadBigfoot21 said:
Well this thread isn't gonna get many responses...wonder why?

50 posts later, this comment is now moot :P

Hynad said:
Hynad said:
Hynad said:

Why? Because I don't agree that it would make that much of a difference? 

Still don't understand my point ... Ok then I'll just have to explain one more time. It's simply better to work with 2 APIs then just using what every console manufacturer will give you. You simply won't get that much more performance out of GNM compared mantle therefore it is your solution that makes no difference. Mantle would also benefit some PC users as well sooo mantle would make a bigger difference in general than just using some proprietary API that's exclusive to a console. 

Hynad said:

Still don't understand my point ... Ok then I'll just have to explain one more time. It's simply better to work with 2 APIs then just using what every console manufacturer will give you. You simply won't get that much more performance out of GNM compared mantle therefore it is your solution that makes no difference. Mantle would also benefit some PC users as well sooo mantle would make a bigger difference in general than just using some proprietary API that's exclusive to a console. 

Better to use 2 API? PS4 developers have both option. Using the common library, or coding direct to the metal, and obviously a mix of the two.

Quoting AMD here: "Mantle is NOT in consoles. What Mantle creates for the PC is a development environment that's *similar* to the consoles, which already offer low-level APIs, close-to-metal programming, easier development and more (vs. the complicated PC environment). By creating a more console-like developer environment, Mantle: improves time to market; reduces development costs; and allows for considerably more efficient rendering, improving performance for gamers. The console connection is made because next-gen uses Radeon, so much of the programming they're doing for the consoles are already well-suited to a modern Radeon architecture on the desktop; that continuum is what allows Mantle to exist."

So here, I wonder why you're bringing this to the topic. It seems like the only thing you do around here is talk about how your feel the PC is superior than everything. Even when the topics has no relevence to that. You bring Mantle in the topic, but... Why? Mantle was created so that the PC architecture could become "similar" to consoles. Not the other way around. So again? Why bring this up here? 

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Hynad said:
Hynad said:
Hynad said:

Better to use 2 API? PS4 developers have both option. Using the common library, or coding direct to the metal, and obviously a mix of the two.

Quoting AMD here: "Mantle is NOT in consoles. What Mantle creates for the PC is a development environment that's *similar* to the consoles, which already offer low-level APIs, close-to-metal programming, easier development and more (vs. the complicated PC environment). By creating a more console-like developer environment, Mantle: improves time to market; reduces development costs; and allows for considerably more efficient rendering, improving performance for gamers. The console connection is made because next-gen uses Radeon, so much of the programming they're doing for the consoles are already well-suited to a modern Radeon architecture on the desktop; that continuum is what allows Mantle to exist."

So here, I wonder why you're bringing this to the topic. It seems like the only thing you do around here is talk about how your feel the PC is superior than everything. Even when the topics has no relevence to that. You bring Mantle in the topic, but... Why? Mantle was created so that the PC architecture become "similar" to consoles. Not the other way around. So again? Why bring this up here? 

@Bold Whoa there, you actually think I'm some PC elitist LOL. Well apparently somebody's hurt cause they got destroyed by Pemalite.

Mantle was definitely created for the purpose to get more performance out of the GCN cards on PC but at the same time it doesn't mean that it can't be used for other devices like consoles and I'm pretty sure sony is more lenient on whatever developers want to use. They allowed opengl ES on the PS3 so why couldn't they do the same for the PS4 ? 

Hynad said:

So here, I wonder why you're bringing this to the topic. It seems like the only thing you do around here is talk about how your feel the PC is superior than everything. Even when the topics has no relevence to that. You bring Mantle in the topic, but... Why? Mantle was created so that the PC architecture become "similar" to consoles. Not the other way around. So again? Why bring this up here? 

@Bold Whoa there, you actually think I'm some PC elitist LOL.

Mantle was definitely created for the purpose to get more performance out of the GCN cards on PC but at the same time it doesn't mean that it can't be used for other devices like consoles and I'm pretty sure sony is more lenient on whatever developers want to use. They allowed opengl ES on the PS3 so why couldn't they do the same for the PS4 ? 

@Bold: Indeed. Your comments everywhere on VGC, and your signature there, points to that effect.

Open GL ES was supported from day one by the PS3 as one of its official API. Mantle isn't officially supported by the PS4. Could they add support for it? Probably. Is it really needed? I don't think so. Especially when you hear devs express how easy it is to develop for the PS4. Yeah, some devs like Slightly Mad may have some learning curve to go through before they're totally comfortable with the architecture, but the tools will improve as the gen goes on, making it easier for devs like them.

Hynad said:

@Bold: Indeed. Your comments everywhere on VGC, and you signature there, points to that effect.

Open GL ES was supported from day one by the PS3 as one of its official API. Mantle isn't officially supported by the PS4. Could they add support for it? Probably. Is it really needed? I don't think so. Especially when you hear devs express how easy it is to develop for the PS4. Yeah, some devs like Slightly Mad may have some learning to curve to go through before they're totally comfortable with the architecture, but the tools will improve as the gen goes on.

@Bold LMAO My bait just keeps on working. 

Hynad said:

@Bold: Indeed. Your comments everywhere on VGC, and you signature there, points to that effect.

Open GL ES was supported from day one by the PS3 as one of its official API. Mantle isn't officially supported by the PS4. Could they add support for it? Probably. Is it really needed? I don't think so. Especially when you hear devs express how easy it is to develop for the PS4. Yeah, some devs like Slightly Mad may have some learning to curve to go through before they're totally comfortable with the architecture, but the tools will improve as the gen goes on.

@Bold LMAO My bait just keeps on working. 

About your signature? It's not required to evaluate your behaviour in the forums. 

Pemalite said:

The CPU clockspeed isn't actually the problem.
It's the IPC or Instructions Per Clock, Jaguar falls flat on it's face in that regard.
For example... Jaguar might be able to execute 1 instruction per mhz, where-as AMD's Trinity might be able to execute 4 instructions per mhz, thus at the same "mhz/ghz" rating, Trinity would be 4x as fast. (This is why the Pentium 4/D fell on it's face.)

But that's to be completely expected.
Console manufacturers haven't taken CPU performance seriously for a long time, it's the graphics that sells the games so they tend to throw everything at Bandwidth and GPU power.
Microsoft and Sony would have actually had far better performance if they wen't with a Trinity/Llano based Quad-Core CPU, but that's a story for another day...

However, the difference between this generation and last generations CPU's is that despite them all being pathetically slow... With this new generation the GPU is going to be taking on some more of the tasks that is traditionally handled by the CPU, this is something that will take time for developers to get used to having to do and play with as really, only PC developers have done anything of the sorts.

The trouble with uing the GPGPU to make up for the weakness of the CPU is that GPGPU is only good at tasks that can be highly parallelized. Which leaves the serialised tasks which the Jaguar CPU is weak at.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!