By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best game developers of ALL time?

Cant pick one. So I am picking seven for some special games. I hope nobody gets angry.

Lionhead studios for fable and black and white.

Lucas arts for monkey island series.

Firefly studios for stronghold series.

Remedy for max payne.

Illusion softworks for mafia.

Nintendo EAD for super mario bros and making my childhood memorable.

Naughty dog for uncharted series.

Around the Network
Videokameras said:

Mummelman what other franchise that lasted for as long as Mario can compete with it in quality over the entire time??

Same goes for MArio Kart and Zelda...

Name one.

I would also have added Fzero if i went by my opinion, because to me its way better than wipeout but because its just my opinion i left it out.

Why do I have to? There is more to this than having a great running franchise for 30 years. All the other things Valve have done for the industry in the past decade or more counts even more towards their standing as a developer.

Mercedes have had three model ranges out for decades that have gotten awesome reviews and maintained their quality (C class, E class and S class), Mercedes is objectively the best car manufacturer in the world!

This is merely a cop-out from you, tell me what Nintendo has done since 1997 that had the same significance as the digital distribution revolution, the immense impact of the outsourcing of engine tech and developer tools that Valve fronted in modern times (along with Epic), all of which spawned kickstarter and other greats such as Good Old Games, almost doubling your assets every year and maintaining an incredible relation to both Indies and the vast majority of larger developers, all the while releasing critically and publically acclaimed titles and assisting in providing a perfect modding community for user generated content, extending the life and worth of all said released titles (Valve games are massive on mods and user generated content), spawning the most influental competitive online games again and again and evergreens that people still play in their original form almost daily over ten-fifteen years later.

They have managed to balance perfectly a consumer and developer friendly arena, no one else in the world has ever accomplished that. Give credit where credit is due, I'm forcing you...

Don't give me "Mario is great and has been around for a long time, same with Zelda". Awesome, what else have they contributed compared to the above? Handheld domination, sure, once again great news for Nintendo themselves but hardly something that the entire industry has benefited from. From where I'm sitting, Nintendo has antagonized the industry on purpose since they exploded in the 80's rather than cooperating and contributing to the whole. Tooting your own horn repeatedly does not make you, objectively, the greatest developer of all time.

Bolded; class act, mighty big of you, the rest is obviously not simply opinion.

IMO, it's Nintendo EAD. I mean, just look at that track record!

• 1985 - Super Mario Bros
  • 1986 - The Legend of Zelda
  • 1987 - Doki Doki Panic and Zelda 2
  • 1988 - Super Mario Bros 3
  • 1990 - Super Mario World, F-Zero
  • 1991 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • 1992 - Super Mario Kart
  • 1993 - Super Mario All-Stars, Star Fox, Link's Awakening
  • 1995 - Yoshi's Island
  • 1996 - Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64
  • 1997 - Star Fox 64
  • 1998 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • 2000 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • 2001 - Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Animal Crossing
  • 2002 - Super Mario Sunshine
  • 2003 - The Legend of Zelda: The WInd Waker, Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • 2004 - Pikmin 2, Super Mario 64 DS
  • 2005 - Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • 2006 - New Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Sports
  • 2007 - The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Super Mario Galaxy
  • 2008 - Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit
  • 2009 - Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Bros Wii
  • 2010 - Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • 2011 - Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • 2012 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • 2013 - Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Looking at the list above, you'll find a huge variety of series, genres, and masterpieces, with something big about once every year. In the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th generations, Nintendo EAD made major titles that were extremely popular, highly influential, critically aclaimed, or some combination of those three factors. If you want to make a list of the top 10 or 20 games of all time and you took half of your entries from Nintendo EAD games, nobody would notice anything unusual. And the games mentioned above aren't even HALF of what they''ve made.

These were the guys whse games gave new life to the industry and paved new roads with Super Mario Bros and Zelda. These were the guys who refined existing formulas to perfection as early as Super Mario Bros 3 and World, A Link to the Past, and Yoshi's Island. These were pioneers in 3D gaming, from Star Fox and F-Zero on the SNES to Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time on the N64. These were the guys who, even in Nintendo's darkest hours of the early 2000's, made new and exciting things like Pikmin and Animal Crossing, among the best representations of their genres on consoles. These were the guys who made touchscreens and motion controls not just a possible control scheme, but a viable one with games like Nintendogs and Phantom Horuglass for the DS and Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii. And even since 2010, as Nintendo has been fading again to an extent, few will deny that EAD made some of the best games of the past three years.

I have plenty of praise for other developers, like Valve, Capcom, Squaresoft, etc. But if these devs stand tall, then EAD is a colossus.

Love and tolerate.

Blizzard of the 1990's.

//Thread over.

I LOVE ICELAND!

1. PS1-era Squaresoft
2. Naughty Dog (4 AAA IPs in the span of 3 gens says it all)

Around the Network

Nintendo EAD of all-time for Mario and Zelda among others
Naughty Dog during the PS1 and PS3 eras for Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted
RARE during the SNES and N64 eras for Donkey Kong, Banjo and GoldenEye among others
Ensemble during the 5th and 6th Gen PC equivalents for Age of Empires and Age of Mythology
Blizzard of all-time for Warcraft and Diablo
Creative Assembly of all-time for the Total War series
Maxis before EA meddled too much in their game design (so until SC4) for SimCity
LucasArts until the late 6th Gen PC equivalent for their Star Wars games and early original games

And the lesser gods

BioWare for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Sony Computer Entertainment for MediEvil and Kula World
Bullfrog for Theme Hospital
Chris Sawyer for RollerCoaster Tycoon

This may be surprising, but yes, those are a lot of PC developers.

Valve isnt consumer friendly, they force steam on consumer its actually very much like blackmail and its only a matter of time till brussel will stop that. The information that blackmail out of the consumers is pure money, and they get it through blackmail.

Its absolutly against consumer, its anti consumer.

Nintendo EAD

Nintendo EAD and Retro Studios for me :D

Love 'em for everything!

EAD, Valve, Blizzard obviously

For a smaller team, Intelligent Systems? Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario and 1/2 Super Metroid