By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WiiU overtracked 40k in the UK

Zero999 said:
Scisca said:
Zero999 said:

the wii u isn't expensive for it's specs and the gamepad is confortable = if someone doesn't want a wii u, it's not because of fake reasons. got it memorized?

did UK became the center of the Universe?

You are right. The Wii U is insanely expensive for its specs! I can get a brand new PS3 for 130 and it's only a tad less powerfull. Got it memorized?

To tell the truth, if Nintendo continues releasing kiddy, cartoony games, they may just as well pack their bags and leave the business while they still have money. When I look at the Wii U lineup, what do I see? What does the exclusive's lineup look like?

2D Mario, 2D Luigi, 3D Mario, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, LEGO City Undercover, Wonderful 101, Sonic Kart Racing game, Sonic 3D, Just Dance, Wii Party U, Scribblenaughts, Rayman, Game & Wario. What's coming? Oh, right! Yarn Yoshi, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, SSB... We just miss Kirby.

So... Yeah. Every single game is kiddy, childish and cartoony. All set in one tone, targeted at the same customer, who is clearly gone. I know these are good games, but there is just no variety! I can't find a single game that is targeted at me! Not a single real reason to get this console! And I've bought Wii as my first console this past gen! But I didn't buy it for the childish games (even though I've bought and enjoyed many of them). I've bought my Wii for Zelda: TP, Metroid Prime 3, CoD 3 (yeah, I prefer pointer controls in FPS over better graphics!), Red Steel 2, The Conduit, No More Heroes, Xenoblade, The Last Story, etc., also many GCN ports that I've missed, like REmake, RE 0, Rogue Squadron 2 and 3, Eternal Darkness, MGS: Twin Snakes, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, etc. THAT is why I bought a Wii. These games are totally absent from Wii U. There is nothing on Wii U to attract the type of gamer that I am.

The only exception is Zombi U, which even though is just a mediocre game, still happens to be the 3rd best selling game on the platform! That should be a bloody signal for Nintendo, shouldn't it? It's the first game I'd buy if I had a Wii U right now.

If Nintendo dreams of Wii U ever starting to sell, they need to make many, many games targeted at the core gamer, like X, Bayo 2 (about which I don't care at all, but I guess there are people who like such games), SMTxFire Emblem. This is the thing though. I have just Zombi U right now, and so far the only other games anounced that I'd like to play are X and SMTxFE (nobody knows when they'll come out, maybe not even in 2014!) and probably Mario Kart (depending if I move and no longer have people to couchplay). These are the only games that excite me.

And before anyone mentions it, I (and 99% of gamers) couldn't care less about ports on Wii U. They can't hold a candle to the PS4/XO versions, are on par with PS360 versions, sometimes are even worse, and even in the rare cases when they are better, they don't justify the purchase of a $300 console, when you can play a much, much better version on a $400 console or stick to the console you already own.

bolded: big fat lie. the rest of the post is too surreal for me to care.

The bolded is the truth, sadly.

@the rest being surreal - that would actually fit. We already know that reality is surreal for you. Thanks for confirming my claim!

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network

We already know that Nintendo loses money on every console sold so how exactly do you say that it is overpriced? I don't understand that logic.

EDIT: also, I don't really think W101 is going for the same market as Just Dance...just sayin'. Also, Wii U has CoD, AC, Splinter Cell, Batman and more and has Bayonetta, X, SMTvsFE and Watch Dogs upcoming, some of which you pointed out yourself. You seem to not only have argued your own point but you also have selective memory...

sundin13 said:
We already know that Nintendo loses money on every console sold so how exactly do you say that it is overpriced? I don't understand that logic.

Well, first of all the lose money because of the gaming pad which no one wanted. Its like the kinect. It increases the price of the package which people would rather not have.

Max King of the Wild said:
sundin13 said:

Well, first of all the lose money because of the gaming pad which no one wanted. Its like the kinect. It increases the price of the package which people would rather not have.

The pad itself isn't very expensive (controller + resistive screen really isn't much more pricey than conroller) and I'd say you are dead wrong that no one wanted the Gamepad. It actually adds a lot to games when used well (similar to motion controls) whereas Kinect at best is an optional peripheral. I will say that this is pretty much impossible to argue as it is extremely subjective...

PS: I added an edit to my last post for anyone who didn't notice.

sundin13 said:
sundin13 said:

The pad itself isn't very expensive (controller + resistive screen really isn't much more pricey than conroller) and I'd say you are dead wrong that no one wanted the Gamepad. It actually adds a lot to games when used well (similar to motion controls) whereas Kinect at best is an optional peripheral. I will say that this is pretty much impossible to argue as it is extremely subjective...

You can say I'm wrong all you want. All I need to do is point to sales that are less than the gamecube. As for price.... I think you need to do research. Nintendo sold a replacement with no retail markup for $150. Now tell me, if it doesn't add much more then why is it tripled the price of controllers that are sold at retail?

Around the Network
sundin13 said:

EDIT: also, I don't really think W101 is going for the same market as Just Dance...just sayin'. Also, Wii U has CoD, AC, Splinter Cell, Batman and more and has Bayonetta, X, SMTvsFE and Watch Dogs upcoming, some of which you pointed out yourself. You seem to not only have argued your own point but you also have selective memory...

It isn't worth the price they ask for it. It's Nintendo's problem if they release a product at such a price and still lose money. It's a massive design flaw.

@edit - They both go for kids/casuals. Maybe JD is a bit different, still it means nothing for a typical gamer. I have already said what I and 99% of gamers think about ports on Wii U, which includes CoD, Splinter Cell, Batman and Watch Dogs, so what do you mean with this selective memory? The ports aren't worth jack sh!t. PS4 sold more copies of recently released multiplats in the week before it was launched than the Wii U after being a year on the market. That's just how meaningless multiplats are on Wii U, and it's totally the fault of the console, hence Nintendo. I also mentioned all of the exclusives you've mentioned and commented on them, so I don't get your argument. 1 "core" game released in a year and 3 other announced for the second year (hopefully) and you think I have no argument here?

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

sundin13 said:
sundin13 said:

You can say I'm wrong all you want. All I need to do is point to sales that are less than the gamecube. As for price.... I think you need to do research. Nintendo sold a replacement with no retail markup for $150. Now tell me, if it doesn't add much more then why is it tripled the price of controllers that are sold at retail?

nintendo sold that replacement for so much
a. because no one really had reason to buy the controller because multi controllers werent supported
b. controllers always have ridiculous mark up
C. because they could

Like I said, look at what the controller is. Its a normal controller with a resistive screen and some extra plasic. The plastic is neglible in price and resistive screens are dirt cheap. The 360 controller costs 11$ to make and yet it sold for 50$ or more. Thats a 5x mark up. Attach a 5x markup to Wii U controller and it'll be worth 30$ and that is without factoring the fact that nintendo wasn't marketing their controllers to a mass audience. They really didn't want to sell them.

Argue that without saying "but...it costs 150$" please

Wii U is done for, sorry but it's true

sundin13 said:
sundin13 said:

I do want the GamePad, can't imagine buying a Wii U without it. Still, this price is just too high and the package is not worth it. The lack of games targeted at me is making the situation even worse. I don't like Kinect, as it gives nothing for a core gamer like me. I love the WiiMote and like the idea of GamePad, as they add to the core experience, even if just by giving me Remote Play.

sundin13 said:
sundin13 said:
sundin13 said:

nintendo sold that replacement for so much
a. because no one really had reason to buy the controller because multi controllers werent supported
b. controllers always have ridiculous mark up
C. because they could

Like I said, look at what the controller is. Its a normal controller with a resistive screen and some extra plasic. The plastic is neglible in price and resistive screens are dirt cheap. The 360 controller costs 11$ to make and yet it sold for 50$ or more. Thats a 5x mark up. Attach a 5x markup to Wii U controller and it'll be worth 30$ and that is without factoring the fact that nintendo wasn't marketing their controllers to a mass audience. They really didn't want to sell them.

Argue that without saying "but...it costs 150$" please

Okay, since you are still in denial. Profitable ps3 model with 12gb =$199.99. Nintendo was losing money on the hardware at $349.99. SWhat drives up costs that much? Hm? Sure, slightly better specs would factor in but so would an controller that is  "valued at $79.25." http://www.destructoid.com/cnn-estimates-the-cost-of-wii-u-s-parts-to-be-228-249435.phtml