By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WiiU overtracked 40k in the UK

Seece said:
justinian said:

The wii u is a non entity in the UK. Even those UK wii u sales figures seems too big - but I am not basing that on anything factual, just observation.

The wii u could be had for £199 at some UK online stores for quite some time now so I don't think an official price cut will bear fruit.

If no significant improvement is shown over the holidays it would probably be best for Nintendo to spend their advertising + marketing money in the US and maybe Europe.

Japan and MS clearly shows that spending loads of advertising cash doesn't necessarily bring the desired results.

I don't think Europe is much better, perhaps US and Japan??

My contact at Spillforeningen has noted that allthough the bigger electronics store chains in Norway have alloted the Wii U some space for the holidays, the dedicated gaming stores practically refuse to recieve any more shipments due to the severe trouble they're having selling the things to customers. The bigger stores can afford to be more versatile but the reported sales are low across all of Scandinavia.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Seece said:
justinian said:

The wii u is a non entity in the UK. Even those UK wii u sales figures seems too big - but I am not basing that on anything factual, just observation.

The wii u could be had for £199 at some UK online stores for quite some time now so I don't think an official price cut will bear fruit.

If no significant improvement is shown over the holidays it would probably be best for Nintendo to spend their advertising + marketing money in the US and maybe Europe.

Japan and MS clearly shows that spending loads of advertising cash doesn't necessarily bring the desired results.

My contact at Spillforeningen has noted that allthough the bigger electronics store chains in Norway have alloted the Wii U some space for the holidays, the dedicated gaming stores practically refuse to recieve any more shipments due to the severe trouble they're having selling the things to customers. The bigger stores can afford to be more versatile but the reported sales are low across all of Scandinavia.

I really think Europe overall is rejecting the WiiU, perhaps sales this holiday will be 70%+ north america??? Too much?

Surprised Nintendo havn't announced Black Friday figures, last 2 years in a row they've done it around mid afternoon UK the monday after from what I remember.

Seece said:
Mummelmann said:
Seece said:
justinian said:

I really think Europe overall is rejecting the WiiU, perhaps sales this holiday will be 70%+ north america??? Too much?

Surprised Nintendo havn't announced Black Friday figures, last 2 years in a row they've done it around mid afternoon UK the monday after from what I remember.

They probably need to give Reggie his pills first.

kowenicki said:
Jesus

150k in a year!!??

Seece said:
Mummelmann said:
Seece said:
justinian said:

According to NeoGaf they where supposed to announce it today (monday). Nothing so far. If they keep their mouth shut then it means the sales might've been disastrous. 

Around the Network
Seece said:
justinian said:

Japan isn't exactly going great guns either but I suppose there may be some sales to be found.

The main reason I picked those two was simply beacuse of the market size. Throw a stone in a crowd and you may hit someone.

Either way it is hard (in this case) to convince people to buy something they don't really want when there are other options. All the marketing in the world isn't going to change that to be honest.

Incubi said:
Seece said:
Mummelmann said:
Seece said:
justinian said:

According to NeoGaf they where supposed to announce it today (monday). Nothing so far. If they keep their mouth shut then it means the sales might've been disastrous. 

Could also simply be delays, there is chaos in stores now with more consoles selling more hardware than ever this holiday season. But I fear it might mean bad news, yes. I wonder what happened in Europe, the PS4 and One launch this close to christmas are bound to steal a lot of thunder.

Incubi said:
Seece said:
Mummelmann said:
Seece said:
justinian said:

It was definetly not disastrous. Target's Ceo even named 3DS as one of their 3 hottest products on BF alongside the Ipad and an other product that I can't recall. I can't talk for wiiU though, but they wouldn't just hold back their PR just for the wiiU when the 3ds is selling like hotcakes.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

benji232 said:
Incubi said:
Seece said:

It was definetly not disastrous. Target's Ceo even named 3DS as one of their 3 hottest products on BF alongside the Ipad and an other product that I can't recall. I can't talk for wiiU though, but they wouldn't just hold back their PR just for the wiiU when the 3ds is selling like hotcakes.

I agree, at worst they would just brag about 3DS sales. Which are virtually guaranteed to be up YoY! They revealed 250k for 3DS last year, that's far worse than if WiiU does 250k this year.

Maybe they're just delayed.

benji232 said:
Incubi said:
Seece said:
Mummelmann said:
Seece said:
justinian said:

It could perhaps also be they're waiting for "Cyber Monday" sales before announcing anything. I'm hoping for good news.