By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Gamers are delusional (controversial opinion)

Kasz216 said:
PC gaming isn't better because of the better graphics. (Though you can have that if you want.)

It's better because it gives greater fidelity of choice and options.

Unless they bungle a port, any game on both console and PC is going to be better on PC due to the mod community.

PC's being the easiest to program for, are always going to be home to the most and best indie games.

And entire genres of games exist on PC. Not to mention the huge backwords capability advantage.

What the steam survey shows is just another superiority of PC gaming. You can spend as much as you want. It doesn't' matter.

Consoles really only have one advantage. Convenience.

Outside that... there really isn't much. Consoles each have their own exclusive games... but PCs end up having their own exclusive genres.

This is just about the best comment I've read in recent memory.

Adding a specific example to what you're saying:

No controller has ever come remotely close to the mouse.  Not even close. I guarantee you that you can take the best 6 FPS console players in the world and put them against my friend (all at once) in Quake 3 and he'd rip them apart without a hitch. Once you've seen a proper FPS player in action with a mouse there's nowhere to hide from the truth.

I also really liked this line:

"Consoles really only have one advantage. Convenience."

Around the Network

How about the VGChartzers on here use their brains and think about personal bias... We've all seen, experienced and perhaps been on the wrong end of prejudice towards other systems due to owning a competing system or whatever the case may be. Now just consider that the vast, vast majority of users here use consoles primarily.

No chance in hell this thread will elicit any type of healthy or worthwhile response is there?

I game on everything, and most of the time a PC smokes consoles in every conceivable manner if you have the luxury of high cost bits and pieces and gadgets.

You'll all see how you freak out about how cool VR is when Sony makes their headset. But guess what; Dr.Grass already played Portal with Occulus Rift in mid 2013.

Everyone's biased, console gamers (most certainly) included. High-End PC gaming is like driving a Ferrari. Sure, maintenance is a bitch and there's only a select few that can afford such a beast of a car, but for those few the thought of driving a Volvo (or even a nice BMW or w/e) just doesn't cut it most of the time. And of course they're going to go and laugh at people with their bog-standard consoles because they paid (way) more just for the GFX card in their PC than the other person's whole system.

ugh I will never understand this attitude

As you say people are buying new consoles because they are "better than what they have" which is perfectly correct. Yet if a PC gamer points out that you could have had something that was that much better 2 years ago and that now you could get a PC that is 2-3X better again today. Then they are elitist duchebags.

People are buying new consoles on the faith that there will be good games available (lets face it the PS4 and XBOne don't have great libraries now and wont for many months if not years) where if they got a PC they would get access to a library of tens of thousands of games with hundreds of exclusives and even several genres that just don't really exist on consoles, as well as the ability to play games new and old at whatever resolution and frame-rate YOU want. As well as the numerous other advantages of a gaming PC like no first party locking core functionality like online play behind a paywall, mods and user configurable settings that allow you to tailor the experience to what you want from graphics to gameplay systems, access to a wide variety of control methods including console controllers, Mouse & Keyboard, Flight Sticks, racing wheels, etc etc. You also get to tailor your hardware to suite your tastes and needs so you can pay as much or as little as you want to get the experience that you want. And you get first access to new technology, from digital distribution and streaming, to new business models like F2P that are touted as the big next gen features of the new consoles all have been avaialable for years on PC. And now their are new things like VR upcoming on PC.

And hey what duchebags for pointing out that on PC you can run games at 120FPS at 4K if you wanted when console gamers are squabbling about how their system can put out games at 1080p when the other system is only doing 720p. Or how no one can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p or 30fps and 60fps, except for this one exclusive that runs at 1080p60fps because that is amazing.

I have seen more console gamers talking about how they wouldn't game on weaker systems like the Wii because the graphics suck than I have seen PC gamers saying they wouldn't game on any console for the same reason. Most hardcore PC gamers also have consoles to play exclusives anyway, but why would you settle for gimped multiplats when you could be having a better experience on PC.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

i.e.

console gamers are just as delusional

zarx said:
ugh I will never understand this attitude

As you say people are buying new consoles because they are "better than what they have" which is perfectly correct. Yet if a PC gamer points out that you could have had something that was that much better 2 years ago and that now you could get a PC that is 2-3X better again today. Then they are elitist duchebags.

People are buying new consoles on the faith that there will be good games available (lets face it the PS4 and XBOne don't have great libraries now and wont for many months if not years) where if they got a PC they would get access to a library of tens of thousands of games with hundreds of exclusives and even several genres that just don't really exist on consoles, as well as the ability to play games new and old at whatever resolution and frame-rate YOU want. As well as the numerous other advantages of a gaming PC like no first party locking core functionality like online play behind a paywall, mods and user configurable settings that allow you to tailor the experience to what you want from graphics to gameplay systems, access to a wide variety of control methods including console controllers, Mouse & Keyboard, Flight Sticks, racing wheels, etc etc. You also get to tailor your hardware to suite your tastes and needs so you can pay as much or as little as you want to get the experience that you want.

And hey what duchebags for pointing out that on PC you can run games at 120FPS at 4K if you wanted when console gamers are squabbling about how their system can put out games at 1080p when the other system is only doing 720p. Or how no one can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p or 30fps and 60fps, except for this one exclusive that runs at 1080p60fps because that is amazing.

I have seen more console gamers talking about how they wouldn't game on weaker systems like the Wii because the graphics suck than I have seen PC gamers saying they wouldn't game on any console for the same reason. Most hardcore PC gamers also have consoles to play exclusives anyway, but why would you settle for gimped multiplats when you could be having a better experience on PC.

Another worthy post imo. If writing prowess is anything to go by, then I'd inch more towards the PC camp hehe

Around the Network

that's all fine and good OP but have fun playing bf4 60fov after experiencing 120fov

Dr.Grass said:
Kasz216 said:
PC gaming isn't better because of the better graphics. (Though you can have that if you want.)

Unless they bungle a port, any game on both console and PC is going to be better on PC due to the mod community.

PC's being the easiest to program for, are always going to be home to the most and best indie games.

And entire genres of games exist on PC. Not to mention the huge backwords capability advantage.

What the steam survey shows is just another superiority of PC gaming. You can spend as much as you want. It doesn't' matter.

Outside that... there really isn't much. Consoles each have their own exclusive games... but PCs end up having their own exclusive genres.

No controller has ever come remotely close to the mouse.  Not even close. I guarantee you that you can take the best 6 FPS console players in the world and put them against my friend (all at once) in Quake 3 and he'd rip them apart without a hitch. Once you've seen a proper FPS player in action with a mouse there's nowhere to hide from the truth.

I think that bolded line is false.  The reason why boils down to why consoles exist in the first place.  Convenience is NOT the reason consoles and arcade machines were made.  In fact, if you go to an arcade to play games now, you are most definitely not going because it's convenient.  An arcade machine is a type of console rather than a PC.  While people boast that PC can do this, PC can do that, PC has cheaper games, PC has "the most games" (this is highly arguable depending on how you want to define each game and count them).  

If we decided to use PC only for games from the start, the gaming market would not be nearly as large as it is today.  It is also false to believe that any gaming innovation that may come will come to the PC rather than a gaming console.  This is absolutely false.  While a PC can be perfectly compatible with these new inputs, it would #1 cost more to implement #2 be a much bigger gamble as it would be harder to market #3 be hard to find someone willing to make the investment in the R&D and #4 have a hard time getting developers to use it.  Why consoles are better for this is because they are more uniform than PC's are, and they are customized more than PC's are (or have been).  The advantages of consoles are much more than just plain "convenience."  Consoles allowed the market the flourish and mature.  Consoles allowed more innovations to gaming to occur.  

I understand that now may be in a different position as then, given that PC's are playing a bigger role in gaming, it is still true that the console market has a lot more chances to make innovations in gaming than the PC market.  Maybe some time in the future, consoles will disappear and everything will be done by PC's (the old console manufacturers probably developing peripherals for PC) but we are NOT there right now.

Dr.Grass said:
Kasz216 said:

Convenience is a big advantage though. I play on both but mainly stick to consoles out of convenience. It just works, no setup required, no game breaking frame rate dips (or at least very rarely) and no keyboard balancing on the couch. The other factor is: PC is for work, it never feels as relaxing as playing on a console does. There are too many distractions on pc.
Actually convenience is such a big factor I had Bioshock 2 sitting on my PC for almost a year from a Steam sale and didn't play it for more then an hour until it appeared on ps+. Then played the 'inferior' version from start to finish on there.

Not that those factors are too big of a hurdle, especially with the sales it would be stupid not to take advantage of PC gaming. Plus the mouse is essential for any sort of building / economic sim game. I've gotten used to playing fps with dual analog, yet switching back to PC still feels liberating. (Behind a monitor at least, mouse on the couch sucks)

The biggest factor is: just play the games you like where you enjoy them most. For me it's Euro truck simulator 2 with the pc hooked up to the projector, Cities in motion 2 / Tropico 3 behind the desk or on the laptop, multiplatform games on PC if < $10 on sale, otherwise physical (tradeable) copy on console.

Some PC only gamers think they're a master race.

They seem insecure. I've seen these comments on youtube, and on gaming websites. They post "PC master race" on articles about consoles.

Its consoles what brought gaming into the mainstream.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

Some PC only gamers think they're a master race.

They seem insecure
. I've seen these comments on youtube, and on gaming websites. They post "PC master race" on articles about consoles.

Its consoles what brought gaming into the mainstream.

replace PC with any console and the underline states hold true for some gamers lol.