By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Gamers are delusional (controversial opinion)

Metallicube said:

I love how the "hardcore" love to crap on recent Nintendo hardware for being so "underpowered" but get their panties in a bunch when the PC gamers do the same to them.

To be fair; most PC gamers I know, including myself, haven't chosen the PC as their primary platform simply due to superior visuals, there's so much more to it than that, as others have touched in on already.

This is how console gamers view PC gamers, I suppose it's a form of kicking upwards, if our justification for going PC is simply visuals, we're shallow and stupid. On the whole, I see the structure of the gaming population like this;

PC gamers: "Console gaming is inferior in every way"

PS/xbox gamers: "PC gaming is too complicated and expensive and you need an upgrade every six months, Nintendo is for kids"

Nintendo gamers: "PS/xbox gamers only care about graphics and not real games with proper gameplay, PC gamers are elitist"

The truth is; we're all elitist, I know I am many times. I'm a sort of reformed console gamer that started out as a PC gamer and came home after a long bout from around 1997-1998 up to 2005-2006. This notion that one fanbase is better or more mature than others is a myth, we've seen the worst of some before and we're seeing the worst of others today.

All that said; I kind of agree with you though and it is kind of funny.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
selnor1983 said:
Kasz216 said:
PC gaming isn't better because of the better graphics. (Though you can have that if you want.)

It's better because it gives greater fidelity of choice and options.

Unless they bungle a port, any game on both console and PC is going to be better on PC due to the mod community.

PC's being the easiest to program for, are always going to be home to the most and best indie games.

And entire genres of games exist on PC. Not to mention the huge backwords capability advantage.

What the steam survey shows is just another superiority of PC gaming. You can spend as much as you want. It doesn't' matter.

Consoles really only have one advantage. Convenience.

Outside that... there really isn't much. Consoles each have their own exclusive games... but PCs end up having their own exclusive genres.

Your right. PC offers me the choice to say stuff you PC.

I have my controller, a couch and no need to trape wires or move my pc colse to tv to play in 50 inch.

No Halo = massive failiure for me.

That's the thing; if you were a PC gamer, with the incredible array of fantastic FPS games in superior versions, Halo wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

You say that like I havent seen or played them. I have only one friend who has a powerful PC. He also console games, but enjoys PC gaming to. Ive yet to see an FPS match the atmosphere and story of Halo ( imo ). Ive recently seen the new Metro ( which looks awesome by the way ) but I'd never trade Halo for it. No way. And Id never trade console gaming for sitting at a desk with mouse and keyboard. I prefer the ease of consoles, the exclusive games and the much easier media functionality I have of Xbox One. Im happy with the visuals of Ryse. They look as good if not better than Metro that my mate has. He has a Titan by the way to.

Ill never just be a PC gamer, unless consoles all died out.

CGI-Quality said:
selnor1983 said:

You say that like I havent seen or played them. I have only one friend who has a powerful PC. He also console games, but enjoys PC gaming to. Ive yet to see an FPS match the atmosphere and story of Halo ( imo ). Ive recently seen the new Metro ( which looks awesome by the way ) but I'd never trade Halo for it. No way. And Id never trade console gaming for sitting at a desk with mouse and keyboard. I prefer the ease of consoles, the exclusive games and the much easier media functionality I have of Xbox One. Im happy with the visuals of Ryse. They look as good if not better than Metro that my mate has. He has a Titan by the way to.

Ill never just be a PC gamer, unless consoles all died out.

Just a quick jump in -one Titan can barely max out Metro. Besides, the only area that Ryse exceeds it is the character models. Otherwise, no, it isn't on the same level (but then, technically, no console game is). 

I dont care about technically anymore. Graphically, Ryse is more pleasing. The detail in characters as you say. But also the lighting for example in Edge Of the World. Or the detail in the scenery on The King. I didnt see anything like that on Metro. Theres just crisp textures everywhere in Ryse. Also the draw distance is awesome to.

Either way Im very impressed with the first game I played on Xbox One visually. Its very impressive. It will look 3x better than that in 5 years. So Im exremely happy.

My PC is far from high-end but that's not why I love it for gaming. It's for cheap games, I have about 25 titles that I could have bought on PS3 or Xbox 360 instead of my PC but I never could have got such good deals on them if I went for the console version.

Signature goes here!

20happyballs said:

Yes, I guess from a purely visual standpoint there are a handful of developers trying to make the most out of PCs. However, the games themselves can be easily ported to the PS4 and X1 with only some hits to the visual fidelity and some post processing effects removed. But in the end the core of the games themselves will still be the same on the consoles and PC. PC games, although great looking, are not a generation ahead. 

While we haven't seen it yet, soon there will be games coming out or the X1 and PS4 that just cannot be ported to the PS3 and Xbox 360 just like there are games for the PS3 and Xbox 360 that would have never worked on the prior generation. I don't see games such as Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Uncharted, Infamous, and maybe even COD4 being any good on a PS2. Those games would not have worked on the previous generation. At the time of their release, those games could truly be considered "next gen".

Soon there will be games that won't really be possible on the PS3 and Xbox 360...I know this is somewhat of a subjective opinion, but Ryse is almost one of those games. If Ryse was ported to the Xbox 360 the game would be horrible. The game, although many would disagree, is actually pretty good but only because of the realistic and cinematic visuals made possible with the X1. 

Of what I can remember, Crysis 1 is the only PC game that was truly a generation ahead of the consoles. However, most PC gamers at the time couldn't even run it at max settings. For this reason, most PC games today are not that ambitious and so ,consequently, they are not a generation ahead of console games.

PC advancement will be gradual but steady, Consoles have mostly caught up to high end (but not Enthusiast) PC at the moment but PC will pull ahead again in the coming years. And honestly PS4 and XBOne set a pretty good baseline going forward, and on high end PC you will be able to add more polish on top of that. PS4/XBOne may be mid high today but in 3 years they will be low end. It's not just graphics either there are advancements coming in other areas as well. Take Oxide Games' new Nitrous engine wich will power several upcoming Strategy titles, which leverages the multithreaded CPUs and ammount of RAM modern PCs have to deliver 10k+ interactive units at the same time. While also delivering a modern rendering engine.

There is also things like the 4K Oculus Rift (which is on the roadmap as having the screen magnified to fill your FOV in the rift it's possible to pick out pixels at 1080p) which will require a pretty insane amount of power to deliver 3D gaming at that resolution in the minimum 60FPS (aparently when the screen is strapped to your face 120FPS is actually very preferable, and any inconcistancy is very easy to pick up so you need locked framerate) you need for a smooth experiance in VR. Which will allow a level of immersion that we have never seen before. Just because the assets and effects aren't 2X better doesn't mean that gamers wont need a lot more power to get the experiance that they want (naturally not everyone wants/needs the same experiance but the demand for new and better is always there), whether that is VR, multi-monitor surround, or just super high refresh rate (120Hz+) that some people want and are willing to pay a premium for. And a lot of these experiances just won't be possible on consoles any time soon.

And as I said there is one game set to be the next Crysis in Star Citizen, which the developers want the highest settings to push even the most powerful multi GPU enthusiest rigs in 2015. It is a game that most of the people playing will likely be playing at medium as those settings are aimed at people with a GTX 680 which is already almost twice as powerful as the PS4.

And there are also some amazing modders out there ready and willing to upgrade many games far beyond any developer would be willing to in todays market. Just look at some of the stuff that is going into games like Skyrim and GTA IV, the mods basically make them look like entirely new games. Wich leads into another thing it's not just more proccessing power that makes PC gaming attractive anyway. In fact most PC players are perfectly happy with PCs that are much weaker than even the PS360 generation, because the PC offers other experiances and benefits that you can't get anywhere else. Consoles are still playing catchup in terms of the business models and community features on PC for example. Things like user modding and a direct consumer-developer relationship are still things you can't really do on consoles. And there is also the matter of control methods, consoles don't offer the wide veriaty in input methods that the PC does.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!