By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Gamers are delusional (controversial opinion)

Are you sure you spaced out your paragraphs enough?

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Pemalite said:

It's not guaranteed and if it does arrive it will have to be downgraded which is again a compromise.
Plus space sims typically are best with flight sticks or failing that, keyboard and mouse, you would also loose mod support.

I was playing games better than the next-gen consoles could handle even a few years before the Playstation 4 was even launched.
I was using Tessellation during the Playstation 2 era, something which is only going to finally be in full swing on the PS4, Xbox One and WiiU.

As a PC gamer, you're not affected by those downgrade compromise.

Exactly.

Kane1389 said:
kowenicki said:
There is another aspect to this. Take a look at the steam survey hardware survey... you will see how right you are and its not remotely controversial.

I think a lot of PC gamers lie about their "rigs"

This is actually true. Surveys on most webites (including gamespot, the breeding ground of PC snobs) showed that most master race snobs had rigs that are weaker than PS4 and even Xbone, despite them bragging about PC in every console thread

Well. I don't know if that's true or not.

Oh but it is true

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Steam-Survey-Most-PC-Gamers-Have-Weaker-PCs-Than-PS4-Xbox-One-58833.html

The RAM and the GPUs are considerably weaker. Its expected really, since since like 40% of PC players play either DOTA, LoL and Minecraft. Not very demanding.

Even EA said that their next engine won't be able to run on most gaming PCs today. 

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2013/06/19/ea-sports-ignite-engine-won-t-work-on-curre/

Not that any PC users care for EA (PC community only cares about Valve and Blizzard, the 2 sole companies keeping PC gaming alive), they just pirate the crap out of their games

I don't understand why VGChartz allows posts like these. This post clearly isn't about respectfully initiating a debate about PC's role in the gaming industry but rather a one-sided attempt to put down and stereotype an entire segment of the gaming population. If the topic was asking "Are the claims that PCs are superior to consoles valid" then that would be a proper topic for discussion. Instead the OP calls PC gamers delusional and elitist using anecdotal evidence. If this doesn't deserve a ban or warning I'm not quite sure what does.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

Brutalyst said:

One of the big arguments I see on this forum is how the new console generation is lagging behind the PC generation.

Im sorry, but your delusional if thats what you think is the case.

The argument being PC's are far ahead of what the new PS4 and XBox One are capable of, and yes your right. But they forget the most important thing, we ARE CONSOLE gamers. 

I have both a XBox one and PS4, and im loving them both. I know they dont compete with a high end PC, but they do one thing and thats the only things they do do, they improve on what we had.

I have been playing Battlefield  4 campaign for the last 2 hours on PS4 and you know what my impression is, its that this 'is mediocre, but the graphics are way better than what I had before (before being PS3)).

PC gamers have this elitist attidute that we should have as good as them on this new console release, good for them. I dont agree, all I expect is an improvement from what I had before, and I get that.

I have a good friend who USED to play alot of console games, but he lost interest and now he has the same delusional attitude as the rest of them.

"why would I want to play that, on the PC it has better FPS/RES/Etc etc etc"

Honestly, I couldnt give a shit, I know how much he has paid on that PC to do that, and f**k me its about 5 times as much as I paid on my PS4/XBox One, and you know what my XBox One  and PS4 does that my previous consoles didnt? improved on EVERYTHING!

You know what your PC does when you put your new pieces in, it IMPROVES ON WHAT IT USED TO DO!

There is no difference at a fundamental value, it imprvoes on what it used to do.

Only at console level, for a more affordable price, and for longer amount of time.

Ask yourself one question, if its going back to 1990 or 2005, whats the one reason you paid money out for when the new console/PC part/Processor/GPU... etc etc etc, to improve on WHAT YOU HAD... its to imrpove on what you had before

who is we? and well your own fault for playing shooters with controllers etc.

PC gamers have no more elitist behaviour than console gamers when they have nothing to do in their life than compare themselves to their competition. So if PC gamers should stfu  then so should console gamers.

Remember those?
PS2 is shit just look at the graphics
Wii is shit just look at the graphics
DS is shit just look at the graphics
3ds is shit just look at the graphics
360 is shit the exclusives will never look as good as PS3 graphics
PS3 is shit the multiplafrom games all look like crap compared to 360
etc. etc. etc.

Stop applying double standards here.

If console gamers will stop with that childish thing I am pretty sure you could ask PC gamers to follow suit and do the same If not deal with it.

And btw. "weak" consoles are an obstacle in the evolution of graphics. Between Crysis 2007 and maybe KIllzone on PS4 there was no game that made an improvement (despite having fancy effects) So I am pretty sure PC gamers are a bit annoyed about that (but at least they could keep their 2008/9 PCs for 5 years without the need for an upgrade.

Oh yeah an I bought a (not at all high end) gaming PC in 2008 for 500€ and I can still play every game. I can work with it I can do whatever I want with it.  When people compare PCs and consoles they always say PC = EXPENSIVE but they always  ignore PC = can do so much more than consoles can do.

Kane1389 said:

Oh but it is true

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Steam-Survey-Most-PC-Gamers-Have-Weaker-PCs-Than-PS4-Xbox-One-58833.html

The RAM and the GPUs are considerably weaker. Its expected really, since since like 40% of PC players play either DOTA, LoL and Minecraft. Not very demanding.

Even EA said that their next engine won't be able to run on most gaming PCs today. 

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2013/06/19/ea-sports-ignite-engine-won-t-work-on-curre/

Not that any PC users care for EA (PC community only cares about Valve and Blizzard, the 2 sole companies keeping PC gaming alive), they just pirate the crap out of their games

I was talking about people lying about specifications.
I already broke down the rest of it.

As for EA and Sports? Well. They never did well on PC anyway.
Not to mention the PC is bound to eventually get all the console exclusives eventually, regardless if Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo likes it or not.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Kane1389 said:

Oh but it is true

I was talking about people lying about specifications.
I already broke down the rest of it.

As for EA and Sports? Well. They never did well on PC anyway.
Not to mention the PC is bound to eventually get all the console exclusives eventually, regardless if Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo likes it or not.

If you wanna see people lying about their specs, go to system wars on gamespot and then go to PC section of the forum. People have been caught several times.

And that EA link wasnt about the quality of their games, but the fact that they stated their engine is currently too powerfull for most gaming PCs.

As for exclusives, I assume you are talking about emulation. Emulation is not something that's exclusive to PCs. Also, good luck emulating PS3's CPU

OP: Are suggesting that all PC gamers only care about graphics and superficial features? Ironically, those are the things that drove me away from console gaming and unto PC 100%.

I game on my PC because it is superior in every regard as a gaming platform, in my opinion, not because I want to go into internet forums and tell you that my BF4 has better graphics than yours.
A whole lot of generalization there, your post is not controversial, it's simply ill informed and misguided.

PC gamers are fine. What every one of us decides to do with the time given, is another issue.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Pemalite said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Pemalite said:

It's not guaranteed and if it does arrive it will have to be downgraded which is again a compromise.
Plus space sims typically are best with flight sticks or failing that, keyboard and mouse, you would also loose mod support.

I was playing games better than the next-gen consoles could handle even a few years before the Playstation 4 was even launched.
I was using Tessellation during the Playstation 2 era, something which is only going to finally be in full swing on the PS4, Xbox One and WiiU.

As a PC gamer, you're not affected by those downgrade compromise.

Exactly.

Since you know its not affecting you, then whats the big deal?   lol, its not going to change the fact that consoles made gaming mainstream.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Dr.Grass said:
MDMAlliance said:
Dr.Grass said:

This is just about the best comment I've read in recent memory.

Adding a specific example to what you're saying:

No controller has ever come remotely close to the mouse.  Not even close. I guarantee you that you can take the best 6 FPS console players in the world and put them against my friend (all at once) in Quake 3 and he'd rip them apart without a hitch. Once you've seen a proper FPS player in action with a mouse there's nowhere to hide from the truth.

I also really liked this line:

"Consoles really only have one advantage. Convenience."

I think that bolded line is false.  The reason why boils down to why consoles exist in the first place.  Convenience is NOT the reason consoles and arcade machines were made.  In fact, if you go to an arcade to play games now, you are most definitely not going because it's convenient.  An arcade machine is a type of console rather than a PC.  While people boast that PC can do this, PC can do that, PC has cheaper games, PC has "the most games" (this is highly arguable depending on how you want to define each game and count them).  

If we decided to use PC only for games from the start, the gaming market would not be nearly as large as it is today.  It is also false to believe that any gaming innovation that may come will come to the PC rather than a gaming console.  This is absolutely false.  While a PC can be perfectly compatible with these new inputs, it would #1 cost more to implement #2 be a much bigger gamble as it would be harder to market #3 be hard to find someone willing to make the investment in the R&D and #4 have a hard time getting developers to use it.  Why consoles are better for this is because they are more uniform than PC's are, and they are customized more than PC's are (or have been).  The advantages of consoles are much more than just plain "convenience."  Consoles allowed the market the flourish and mature.  Consoles allowed more innovations to gaming to occur.  

I understand that now may be in a different position as then, given that PC's are playing a bigger role in gaming, it is still true that the console market has a lot more chances to make innovations in gaming than the PC market.  Maybe some time in the future, consoles will disappear and everything will be done by PC's (the old console manufacturers probably developing peripherals for PC) but we are NOT there right now.

Whaaa...?

Arcade gaming is dead. What are you on about?

And, "  The reason why boils down to why consoles exist in the first place.", was never answered in your post.

I did answer that question, you seem to not have paid enough attention.  The answer is because of the market.  It's harder to sell a PC peripheral than it is to sell a proprietary system.  That is/was a truth.

"It is also false to believe that any gaming innovation that may come will come to the PC rather than a gaming console.  This is absolutely false."

LOL. That's so untrue.

It is true.  You just saying it's untrue is a bad counter argument to begin with.  Although it is also possible that you may have misinterpreted what I meant by that.  What I was saying is that gaming innovation is easier to market and start with a console than a PC (at least historically, it has.  Currently it's still not there yet either)

"Consoles allowed more innovations to gaming to occur.  "

No one is discussing the merits of console gaming or what it has contributed! Geez man, we're discussing which is superior from a gaming poitn of view.

I made this point to reinforce the history of what consoles did and how it still applies even now to a relatively large degree.

"I understand that now may be in a different position as then, given that PC's are playing a bigger role in gaming"

My gawd man, you think PCs used to not play a major role in gaming? 

PC's played a major role in gaming in the past, yes.  They just weren't nearly as big in the market as consoles were.  It still is that way, regardless of what statistics you may pull up.  

"it is still true that the console market has a lot more chances to make innovations in gaming than the PC market"

Again, what? The example of Kinect is prudent; It launched on console, but nearly every facet of its existence that has been worthwhile has been implemented by the PC mod community. Of course the device sucked so they gave up on it. 

I'm not arguing that the PC can't have these peripherals and innovations.  I'm arguing that to make it popular and marketable, it makes much more sense to start it on a console first.

"consoles will disappear and everything will be done by PC's"
I'm not saying that, and anyone who does is, I belive, delusional.

Actually, I am saying that it is possible.

In essence, I disagree with the entire ethos of what you wrote.

Most of what I said isn't debateable.  The way you interpreted it may seem like it is, I feel.

Oh, and I should point out that I mean hardware innovations more than I mean software.