By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This trailer right here expresses exactly why the jump from current gen to next gen is large enough

So, we buy new consoles for more realistic basketball players.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

The cloth simulation looks improved, but we're just going to have to disagree, as I find the trailer neither a big leap forward nor really all that impressive.

Cloth animation, hair, sweat, smoother animations (not quick and choppy like the video I just showed), more facial expressions and the true skin tone of the players shows more. Even in Fifa like this game I noticed a difference with the crowd as well compared to the current gen. We will definitely have to agree to disagree and I am thankful that we do.

The animations still had an awkwardness to them in my eyes. Like the characters themselves they didn't quite seem truly lifelike.

This is my last effort to show you someone elses opinion. IGN rewind theatre even took the time to speak about this because the difference is very noticable.They also said both games are not the same and it is not ported from the current gen version (most likely the same difference with the next gen version with Fifa and Madden for EA).  These guys are the NBK 2K players of IGN and even they are gushing over it. They are stopping the video in certain points and showing the difference between the current gen and next gen versions. The animations have changed and have been enhanced. They are literally stopping the video and rewinding it so you can see even the most subtle of changes.

They even went out on a limb and said this game might even be the most technically impressive (I said technically impressive) launch game of the next gen all things considered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB7WmLxHAgU

I'm not saying the difference isn't noticeable, it is, but I woudn't call it a giant leap.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Zero999 said:

looks like a slightly better version of last gen games.

Did you just say slightly? I don't know what world you're living in bro. Nothing last gen had a shred of the emotion that was shown on these characters faces. Thats borderline photorealism. This is in-game and not pre-rendered.

It's nowhere NEAR the jump that was N64 to Dreamcast or PS2 to PS3. 

I would argue that the additional level of detail offered with the new gen is only apparent in intros, replays and the like, it has little bearing while playing the game.

Where I think sports games have been stuck for quite a while is with animation which still often looks stiff, lacks finesse, has choppy transitions, poor turning of the characters, poor collision animations etc. This is the stuff that reminds you that you are actually playing a game and is what really needs to improve. I'll be curious to see how these elements stack up in this game during actual gameplay.

Does look amazing.

Around the Network
pezus said:
DevilRising said:
OMG graphics. Just look at that uncanny valley.

Game designers and gamers alike need to quit obsessing over "realistic" graphics, and start focusing more on great art design and more importantly, great gameplay.

In a sports simulator? That could work

Well for one, it would be an interesting route to take for a sports game. But no, I was speaking generally. Of course you want certain kinds of games to have "realisitc" graphics. I was commenting more on the all-around obsession people seem to have with "realistic" graphics in general, as a litmus test for what "good graphics" are these days. Quite frankly, the best looking games last gen had their own unique art style, at least as far as I'm concerned.

You know, if they would make cartoony players it will look so much better. These half ass lifeless robots still look like shit.

prayformojo said:

It's nowhere NEAR the jump that was N64 to Dreamcast or PS2 to PS3. 

tbh ps2 to ps3 jump wasnt much noticeable. launch title for ps3 were any much better than resident evil 4 and some other late gen ps2 games. i find this gen to next gen jumb much more noticeable.

This is basically last year's game plus sweat and clothing animation. How can I live without it? :P

freebs2 said:
This is basically last year's game plus sweat and clothing animation. How can I live without it? :P

Actually, last year's games already had sweat and clothing animation. ;)