By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This trailer right here expresses exactly why the jump from current gen to next gen is large enough

pezus said:
This has nothing on Mario 3D World

I think this is exactly the point the Nintendo gamers are advocating.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
dahuman said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

He said it still looks like shit to him, that can mean many things either going from what he percieves to be a massive leap or from a PC gamer perspective where they are used to max settings on most games.

Well, I don't play sports games, but they are definitely not known for their awesome graphics, they all look shitty to me. We are a long way off from making these kinds of games look good enough because these actually require real life like graphics representing humans in a way where the uncanny valley effect won't kick in. Even my PC can't do it, so, it's just gonna be shitty for a long time.

The uncanney Valley will show itself after about three years. Thats when third parties will have figured everything out. I see the massive attention to detail already even through the third parties aren't pushing the consoles. If you need a reference to my point go back to David Cages evolution video from current gen to next gen possibilities for graphics when the PS4 was unveiled.

That's what I'm saying, not even close man, even the David Cage demo is nowhere near close to what I'm talking about. We simply don't have that kind of raw power yet, not even on the best gaming PCs. That's why these kind of games will continue to look bad unless we reach that point.

Bro, I think you're cool and all but i cannot help you with your expectations. You represent a very minor group who feels this way. Best of luck being satisfied with any type of animation. I seriously wish you the best.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
dahuman said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The uncanney Valley will show itself after about three years. Thats when third parties will have figured everything out. I see the massive attention to detail already even through the third parties aren't pushing the consoles. If you need a reference to my point go back to David Cages evolution video from current gen to next gen possibilities for graphics when the PS4 was unveiled.

That's what I'm saying, not even close man, even the David Cage demo is nowhere near close to what I'm talking about. We simply don't have that kind of raw power yet, not even on the best gaming PCs. That's why these kind of games will continue to look bad unless we reach that point.

Bro, I think you're cool and all but i cannot help you with your expectations. You represent a very minor group who feels this way. Best of luck being satisfied with any type of animation. I seriously wish you the best.

My expectations change with what I'm looking at, this is aimed at realism, which will not look good for a long time, whereas if I'm looking at Mario, the new one looks great, so does the new KZ and 2nd Son for what they are on the PS4, because they are not in the same category.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
green_sky said:

Now we all get to admire that gorgeous Lebron James smug face. With even more sweat. Yay.

There is going to be a jump alright but all these games are going to look like crap when 2nd phase of next gen come out. Hopefully they can refine the gameplay more because now we are reaching law of diminshing returns with zomg graphics.

We were promised HD graphics with PS360 but we got sub par HD with games running at 600 to 720P with frame rates falling from 60 to 30 as standard. Maybe something better this generation. That RAM everyone keeps talking about and the clouds could help perhaps. 

Devs said its going to take three years for them to crack the Xbone and PS4 and understand their unique architecture completely. Games will differ from exclusives to multiplats, but all will truly be harnessed after the first three years for sure. Physics and animations as you might have seen with the new videos are much more realistic. No need for CG because it can all happen in-game now.

It's going to take them 3 years to understand PC architecture? Wow.laughable. Sure there will be some improvements but x86 isnt something new like Cell. Those that never work on PC will just need to learn it and they should be the only ones impacted by this.

I do not recall anyone saying there will not be a jump, just that the jump will not be as noticable as last gen. Sports games are limited and are easy to make look good. I will wait for actual game releases from other genres.  NO matter what they show however its not going to be like the jump from SD to HD.

ListerOfSmeg said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
green_sky said:

Now we all get to admire that gorgeous Lebron James smug face. With even more sweat. Yay.

There is going to be a jump alright but all these games are going to look like crap when 2nd phase of next gen come out. Hopefully they can refine the gameplay more because now we are reaching law of diminshing returns with zomg graphics.

We were promised HD graphics with PS360 but we got sub par HD with games running at 600 to 720P with frame rates falling from 60 to 30 as standard. Maybe something better this generation. That RAM everyone keeps talking about and the clouds could help perhaps. 

Devs said its going to take three years for them to crack the Xbone and PS4 and understand their unique architecture completely. Games will differ from exclusives to multiplats, but all will truly be harnessed after the first three years for sure. Physics and animations as you might have seen with the new videos are much more realistic. No need for CG because it can all happen in-game now.

It's going to take them 3 years to understand PC architecture? Wow.laughable. Sure there will be some improvements but x86 isnt something new like Cell. Those that never work on PC will just need to learn it and they should be the only ones impacted by this.

I do not recall anyone saying there will not be a jump, just that the jump will not be as noticable as last gen. Sports games are limited and are easy to make look good. I will wait for actual game releases from other genres.  NO matter what they show however its not going to be like the jump from SD to HD.

Not talking about PC's leave them out of this. PC's are way ahead and really this only speaks true for limited console abilities. Unique hardware takes a while for devs to figure out upon iterations. PC's depend more on the user than the product itself.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pezus said:

Some of us just prefer colourful and surreal imagery over attempts to duplicate something so mindane as a basketball court.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Michael-5 said:

Oh your right I see....

---

I've noticed that the pre-rendered cut scene graphics from one generation looks as good as gameplay for the next. In this case FFXIII cutscenes look as good as in game character models for the 8th gen. Cut scenese from the gamecube days looks like in game models for PS3 games, PS1 cutscenes looks like PS2 in game characters, etc....

Anyway, looks great, but I have too much of a backlog to enjoy the upgrade in graphics.

I think this will affect the annualized gamer more than us. They will see the graphics and marvel at it.

Maybe, but the jump from SNES to PS1/N61 was still ridiculous compared to this.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

pezus said:

Quoted for attempt at sarcasm but mostly for truth in those words. ;P

They sweated last gen.

No gameplay footage either..

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pezus said:

Some of us just prefer colourful and surreal imagery over attempts to duplicate something so mindane as a basketball court.

Yes, but that had nothing to do with my point. I have no problem with artistic direction. I am talking about the fidelity of the simulation over last gen. I've shown this to possibly a hundred people who arent hardcore gamers but play games like COD , Madden and NBA2k and they flipped their shit when they saw it. Mario crowds and the crowds who play annualized sports and shooter titles are a different crowd.