By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This trailer right here expresses exactly why the jump from current gen to next gen is large enough

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

People complain too much. Look at this gorgeous in game footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJlptY6G4SQ

Honestly, I'm not impressed. The characters still look off, more like mannequins than human beings.

I am sure they do somewhere in your mind. I guess mo-capping means absolutely nothing right? It might not be there yet completely but its much more fluid than last gen.

Mo-capping is hardly new, it's been used in games for a while.

Around the Network

My take is that the only people who are claiming that the generational jump isn't that big or as big are PC gamers for pretty obvious reasons.

Very few people who are actually ready for the next generation of hardware are legitimately claiming "if only the next gen consoles were $1500 boxes I could be enjoying true next gen graphics!" Mostly these people are trolling for hits, wanting to claim that they can afford a $1500 or a $2500 console or whatever so they're disappointed that the $400-500 boxes being produced (for the normal, sane gaming consumer) are spec'd appropriately. Insert fake disappointment and indignation.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Honestly, I'm not impressed. The characters still look off, more like mannequins than human beings.

I am sure they do somewhere in your mind. I guess mo-capping means absolutely nothing right? It might not be there yet completely but its much more fluid than last gen.

As I said before to others, David Cage already pointed out the difference between last gen graphics and motion through mo capping and not only that the leap in movement but also emotions and portraying what couldn't even be portrayed in the current gen.

He stated there will be a leap in polygon count which wont be responsible create emotions but help in at least pushing the actions and movements in an emotional manner which could not be accomplished before.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'm going to say right here that the fluidity of character movement, in game or pre-rendered, has little to do with the processing power of whatever hardware the visuals are being run on.

That motion, fluid, stiff, choppy, whatever, is entirely dependent upon the artists doing the animation in the case of key frame animation, and again in the case of motion capture, dependent upon the animation data clean up done by the animators in addition to the motion capture system used to create the raw data as not all mocap systems are alike or equal. 

greenmedic88 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'm going to say right here that the fluidity of character movement, in game or pre-rendered, has little to do with the processing power of whatever hardware the visuals are being run on.

That motion, fluid, stiff, choppy, whatever, is entirely dependent upon the artists doing the animation in the case of key frame animation, and again in the case of motion capture, dependent upon the animation data clean up done by the animators in addition to the motion capture system used to create the raw data as not all mocap systems are alike or equal. 

Yes, I heard about that on Rev3's Uncanny Valley episode. I know about the animator cleanup. I am just saying animations are less stiff and more fluid from gen to gen. When the technology is more powerful more polygons are pushed and more subtlties can be shown.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

As I said before to others, David Cage already pointed out the difference between last gen graphics and motion through mo capping and not only that the leap in movement but also emotions and portraying what couldn't even be portrayed in the current gen.

He stated there will be a leap in polygon count which wont be responsible create emotions but help in at least pushing the actions and movements in an emotional manner which could not be accomplished before.

Motion capture itself has been used in games since the 90s though.

I still maintain that the NBA footage in the OP is unimpressive.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
dahuman said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

He said it still looks like shit to him, that can mean many things either going from what he percieves to be a massive leap or from a PC gamer perspective where they are used to max settings on most games.

Well, I don't play sports games, but they are definitely not known for their awesome graphics, they all look shitty to me. We are a long way off from making these kinds of games look good enough because these actually require real life like graphics representing humans in a way where the uncanny valley effect won't kick in. Even my PC can't do it, so, it's just gonna be shitty for a long time.

The uncanney Valley will show itself after about three years. Thats when third parties will have figured everything out. I see the massive attention to detail already even through the third parties aren't pushing the consoles. If you need a reference to my point go back to David Cages evolution video from current gen to next gen possibilities for graphics when the PS4 was unveiled.

That's what I'm saying, not even close man, even the David Cage demo is nowhere near close to what I'm talking about. We simply don't have that kind of raw power yet, not even on the best gaming PCs. That's why these kind of games will continue to look bad unless we reach that point.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Thats perfectly fine, as far as realism is concerned I am impressed. I have a feeling thanks to companies like Naughty Dog we'll reach the uncanny Valley by the end of the gen if they continue to pursue excellence as they did before.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Thats perfectly fine, as far as realism is concerned I am impressed. I have a feeling thanks to companies like Naughty Dog we'll reach the uncanny Valley by the end of the gen if they continue to pursue excellence as they did before.

That may very well happen, Naughty Dog are very talented developers.

OMG graphics. Just look at that uncanny valley.

Game designers and gamers alike need to quit obsessing over "realistic" graphics, and start focusing more on great art design and more importantly, great gameplay.