By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gameranking's Top J-RPG's of All Time

I could agree with this list. But yeah, aside from Xenoblade this gen has been less than stellar for the genre.

Hopefully that changes now.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
adriane23 said:
KylieDog said:
Demon's Souls isn't a JRPG.

Yes it is.

No, it isn't.  J/W RPGs are not determined where they were made, but the style of the game.  It is modelled on the WRPG game type.

I made a thread dedicated to this question: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=152856

Any definition besides country of origin doesn't work for many titles. Country of origin is the only sane definition.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

KylieDog said:
adriane23 said:
KylieDog said:

Yes it is.

No, it isn't.  J/W RPGs are not determined where they were made, but the style of the game.  It is modelled on the WRPG game type.

Honestly, you can't say that it isn't a JRPG.  No matter how much you want to say it, given the shaky definition of a JRPG, it is by some form a JRPG as it is made in Japan and still retains elements of Japanese culture.  To try and define JRPG or WRPG by its style, you'll find MANY games that break apart that definition and to that effect, that way of defining holds no water.  The only one that does is where it was made.

MDMAlliance said:
KylieDog said:
adriane23 said:
KylieDog said:

Yes it is.

Honestly, you can't say that it isn't a JRPG.  No matter how much you want to say it, given the shaky definition of a JRPG, it is by some form a JRPG as it is made in Japan and still retains elements of Japanese culture.  To try and define JRPG or WRPG by its style, you'll find MANY games that break apart that definition and to that effect, that way of defining holds no water.  The only one that does is where it was made.

In that case, why do we even refer to these games as Japanese or Western? We don't usually refer to Mario as a J-Platformer. :/

Perhaps this whole line of thinking is outdated, as both Japanese and Western RPGs increasingly branch out, try new things, and overlap.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
MDMAlliance said:

In that case, why do we even refer to these games as Japanese or Western? We don't usually refer to Mario as a J-Platformer. :/

Perhaps this whole line of thinking is outdated, as both Japanese and Western RPGs increasingly branch out, try new things, and overlap.

Just because people do it, doesn't make it correct or the right way.  I don't think I've seen any RPG reference itself as a "JRPG."  

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
MDMAlliance said:

Except those games that 'break apart the definition' don't, only when you try to shoehorn them into a specific wrong definition.  If a game doesn't fit as a WRPG or JRPG, then it isn't either of them.

I feel like the whole misconception could be resolved with some kind of qualifier, like saying that Dragon Quest is a "traditional JRPG" because it's from Japan and sticks closely to the roots of the genre, whereas Dark Souls is a "non-traditional" or even "Western-inspired" JRPG. That way one can identify its country of origin and actually be specific about the content without generalizing too much.

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

MDMAlliance said:
F0X said:
MDMAlliance said:

Just because people do it, doesn't make it correct or the right way.  I don't think I've seen any RPG reference itself as a "JRPG."  

I have. A recent example would be Project Phoenix.

benao87 said:

No love for FF IV :(

Edit: Nor to Lufia :'(

Brought me to tears that it wasn't in the top 10.

F0X said:
MDMAlliance said:

I have. A recent example would be Project Phoenix.

I personally wouldn't count that due to the fact that it comes from an indie developer.  Indie developers are a lot like consumers in that they are willing to use titles that loosely define what it comes from.  Also, looking at the kickstarter, the specifics seem to indicate that it is influenced by "Japanese RPG style" (probably pointing at the traditional formula many RPG's in Japan had).  Again, the term itself is flawed unless you wanted to use it literally.

Lot of great games in that top 40. I will always put Gandia II at the top, but have no complaints with others views.