By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gameranking's Top J-RPG's of All Time

MDMAlliance said:
F0X said:
MDMAlliance said:

Just because people do it, doesn't make it correct or the right way.  I don't think I've seen any RPG reference itself as a "JRPG."  

I have. A recent example would be Project Phoenix.

I personally wouldn't count that due to the fact that it comes from an indie developer.  Indie developers are a lot like consumers in that they are willing to use titles that loosely define what it comes from.  Also, looking at the kickstarter, the specifics seem to indicate that it is influenced by "Japanese RPG style" (probably pointing at the traditional formula many RPG's in Japan had).  Again, the term itself is flawed unless you wanted to use it literally.

The official website (not the Kickstarter page) used the term "JRPG". Regardless, you are right. The classification is probably about as official as "Metroidvania", but at least Metroidvania has a very specific gameplay type attributed to it, so it's not so easy to misuse the term.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Mnementh said:

I made a thread dedicated to this question: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=152856

Any definition besides country of origin doesn't work for many titles. Country of origin is the only sane definition.

Country of origin is stupid as it tells you nothing about the game which is the point of naming something as a genre.  Try doing it with other genres.  "A Canadian first person shooter"  - What the hell is that meant to mean?

The separation is stupid to begin with. I think of myself as an RPG-gamer, not an JRPG or WRPG-gamer. But if you do separate them, no definition really holds well except country of origin.

And we do talk about german cars or british football-teams.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

WiiBox3 said:
benao87 said:

No love for FF IV :(

Edit: Nor to Lufia :'(

Brought me to tears that it wasn't in the top 10.

Cheer up mate, it'll always be our No.1.

Awesome list of games is awesome list of games.

Debate about stupid definition that was lost a long time ago is; well...

Without knowing who developed it or what game it is, although maybe you know, based on gameplay only, what would you guys classify this as?

*edit* What about this?

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

Without knowing who developed it or what game it is, although maybe you know, based on gameplay only, what would you guys classify this as?

A traditional, turn-based RPG?

Edit: 2nd picture, Medieval Fantasy and/or open-world Action RPG (judging from that screenshot it's difficult to tell what kind of gameplay it utilizes).

arcelonious said:

Yeah.  What about the other game.  I edited the post after you replied.

hunter_alien said:
No JRPG will ever have the critical, commercial and cultural impact that FFVII had/has. Spin it as much as you want, this game will be remembered as the cornerstone of the genre and storytelling in gaming.

So I vote for FFVII

Pokemon Red and Blue disagree !

kupomogli said:
arcelonious said:

Yeah.  What about the other game.  I edited the post after you replied.

I edited my initial post in response to your edit.  I think there are more objective ways to classify RPGs instead of by region or country of origin, such as open-world, tactical/strategy, turn-based, action, and so on.

arcelonious said:

I edited my initial post in response to your edit.  I think there are more objective ways to classify RPGs instead of by region or country of origin, such as open-world, tactical/strategy, turn-based, action, and so on.

It's an action/adventure RPG.  I want to know from the people who use regions to place an RPGs genre to label each of those games without knowing what region they're from, just knowing that they're RPGs, that way I can prove a point.

I don't classify RPGs by region either because Final Fantasy being a "JRPG" has the exact same gameplay as several "WRPG" games.  When people use where the game was developed you'll have two games that are the exact same genre being called something different.