By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gameranking's Top J-RPG's of All Time

KylieDog said:
adriane23 said:

You're not making any sense. Just because a region makes games a certain way doesn't justify a label like that. God of War play differently than Devil May Cry and has a different style, but that doesn't mean we classify them as W-Hack and Slash and J-Hack and Slash.

I would call an Australian RPG whatever it's play style dictates, be it tactical/PC style RPGs (what you define as WRPG), turn-based RPG, strategy RPG, action RPG, or whatever. If Australian devs started "championing" a specific style of RPG, it doesn't make a new style of RPG called ARPG or some other similarly stupid moniker.

The terms were created to identify a style of game, people used to call them western style RPGs and Japanese style RPGs, this just got shortened to W/J RPG.

People who try an use location are just wrong and completely miss the original point of the terms.

No they didn't. People called RPGs from Western developers PC RPGs because that's the only place they were popular. It wasn't until games like Oblivion and Mass Effect, where people started differentiating the two by region.

OT: Xenogears will always be number 1 in my heart, but I'm glad it's rated so high.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
adriane23 said:

No they didn't. People called RPGs from Western developers PC RPGs because that's the only place they were popular. It wasn't until games like Oblivion and Mass Effect, where people started differentiating the two by region.

OT: Xenogears will always be number 1 in my heart, but I'm glad it's rated so high.

You think WRPG/JRPG are current gen created terms?   Question speaks for itself.

I know they're terms made popular in this gen. I wasn't on gaming forums before 2007, so they could be decades old for all I know. I never heard of either term before this gen though, so they definitely weren't used regularly in gaming magazines or media sites. Going by the sorting choices for RPGs on Gamefaqs (an old enough site), these probably evolved from the terms "Console Style RPG" and "PC Style RPG."

I am the Playstation Avenger.

At least from what I recall, the stereotype terms WRPGs and JRPGs started gaining popularity during the sixth generation, when more PC RPG developers started to enter the console market (and thus competing head-to-head with Japanese RPGs which were already on consoles), some notable examples include Bethesda (Morrowind) and Bioware (Knights of the Old Republic). Prior to that, people used to refer to games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Fallout, and so on, as Computer RPGs (CRPG), which was a term to distinguish them from pen-and-paper or tabletop RPGs.

Like I mentioned earlier, the terms WRPG and JRPG are more stereotypes than they are actual genres, because unlike terms like tactical, strategy, or action, there is too much subjectivity behind what defines a WRPG or JRPG (and thus we have disputes like this, where people disagree on what one game is or isn't), not to mention that there are so many exceptions that they really make no sense.  In contrast, most people understand and agree on what makes a turn-based RPG, which is why it's one of the better genre descriptions.

For the purposes of the original OP, using the term JRPG simply to distinguish RPGs made in Japan is a simple and objective criteria, instead of overly complicating it by wondering which games fit along that the stereotype meaning of JRPG.

KylieDog said:
adriane23 said:
KylieDog said:
adriane23 said:
KylieDog said:
Demon's Souls isn't a JRPG.

Yes it is.

No, it isn't.  J/W RPGs are not determined where they were made, but the style of the game.  It is modelled on the WRPG game type.

Whoever told you that should be slapped in the throat. If that was the case, then I guess the Penny Arcade RPGs are JRPGs and games like The Granstream Saga and Dark Cloud are WRPGs. And what is the "WRPG game type" exactly?

WRPG are generally more realistic in design of both worlds and environments, the 'RPG' side of things are very deep routed in character building with a focus on individual stats for characters and usually armours and weapons too.  There tends to be a lot of choice in the story as well as progression of the world also.

JRPGs tend to be very anime or cartoon styled, aside from a  general level up the RPG side of things tends to be very light and while can get new weapons or armours sometimes the focus isn't on individual stats of a character or equipment and offers little to no choice in character build.  The story has little and often zero choice for the player and the world opens up along with story.

Where a game is made doesn't matter.  WRPGs are named so as that style has been championed by western devs and is found mostly in western made RPGs, JRPGs because it is mainly Japan who make that style (especially due to Final Fantasy's popularity boom in the 90s).

What would you call an Australian made RPG?  Using your logic it certainly isn't a WRPG, Australia isn't in the west, it isn't JRPG because it isn't made in Japan either despite being so close.  The real answer is you base it on the actual game, not where it is made.

Australia is a western country so its RPGs would be WRPG. I consider demon souls a JRPG.

I'm with KylieDog. The genres diverge based on gameplay, not country of origin. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_rpg#History_and_classification

After the success of role-playing video games such as Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, the role-playing genre eventually diverged into two styles, Japanese role-playing games and Western role-playing games, due to cultural differences, though roughly mirroring the platform divide between consoles and computers, respectively. Finally, while the first RPGs offered strictly a single player experience, the popularity of multiplayer modes rose sharply during the early to mid-1990s with action role-playing games such as Secret of Mana and Diablo. With the advent of the Internet, multiplayer games have grown to become massively multiplayer online role-playing games, including LineageFinal Fantasy XI, and World of Warcraft.

After the success of console role-playing games in Japan, the role-playing genre eventually began being classified into two fairly distinct styles: computer RPG and console RPG, due to stylistic, gameplay and/or cultural reasons; with the latter having become popularized and heavily influenced by early Japanese video games such as Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. In the early 2000s, however, as the platform differences began to blur, computer RPGs and console RPGs were eventually classified as Western role-playing games(or WRPGs) and Japanese role-playing games (or JRPGs), respectively.

It's pretty much an extension of computer-rpgs vs. console-rpgs. 

Around the Network
benao87 said:
WiiBox3 said:
benao87 said:

No love for FF IV :(

Edit: Nor to Lufia :'(

Brought me to tears that it wasn't in the top 10.

Cheer up mate, it'll always be our No.1.

Correct you are sir!