Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gameranking's Top J-RPG's of All Time

M&L´s battle system > PM´s battle system

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
adriane23 said:
KylieDog said:
Demon's Souls isn't a JRPG.

Yes it is.

No, it isn't.  J/W RPGs are not determined where they were made, but the style of the game.  It is modelled on the WRPG game type.

Actually, the Japanese and Western being references to locations are precisely what those definitions are. If an RPG is made in Japan, it is Japanese. If it is made in the West it is Western. The regions are not genres. There are many RPG sub-genres such as turn-based RPGs, action RPGs, MMO RPGs, strategy RPGs, etc...

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Little surprised to see Persona 4 way up there.

Also never understood the love for Chrono Trigger. It felt average to me; it did nothing wrong, but at the same time, it really didn't do much to wow me.

KylieDog said:
Jumpin said:

Actually, the Japanese and Western being references to locations are precisely what those definitions are. If an RPG is made in Japan, it is Japanese. If it is made in the West it is Western. The regions are not genres. There are many RPG sub-genres such as turn-based RPGs, action RPGs, MMO RPGs, strategy RPGs, etc...

WRPG and JRPG are genre definitions.

Such a confusion is common. A genre identification tells you something about the game itself. The JRPG / WRPG distinction tells you something about the game's design team, and by extension their design philosophy. There is a difference, albeit a subtle one.

I would say that stereotypically the JRPG-WRPG distinction includes a genre distinction, but this is definitely not a hard or fast rule. Stereotypically JRPGs have pre-designed characters going about scripted events in a closed or limited environment that is as polished as possible (Final Fantasy). WRPGs have customizable characters going along in an open, sand-box world (Elder Scrolls). Of course, there are tons of exceptions. Dragon's Dogma and Witcher both leap to mind as games where few of these rules apply.

KylieDog said:
Jumpin said:

WRPG and JRPG are genre definitions.

They're sterotypes that more often than not do a poor job of explaining what a game's content is actually like. A decent classification shouldn't leave a layman thinking "and how is one's gameplay different from the other?" Nothing clear cut like first-person shooter vs. third-person shooter.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
orniletter said:
hunter_alien said:
No JRPG will ever have the critical, commercial and cultural impact that FFVII had/has. Spin it as much as you want, this game will be remembered as the cornerstone of the genre and storytelling in gaming.

So I vote for FFVII

Pokemon Red and Blue disagree !

Even tough Pokemon is by far the biggest RPG franchise, when people are talking JRPGs they tend to forget about it. And there is a reason why. The simplistic yet addictive nature of the game makes it mostly one of a kind in its own genre.

FFVII on the other hand is the purest and most known game in the JRPG genre. It did not have the same sales as a main Pokemon game, but there is a reason why it almost allways makes the top 10 lists of gaming sites.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

think-man said:
Final Fanasy IX :D Suikoden 2 is better than every game on the list though imo :P

What you say about Suikoden 2... is so true!

KylieDog said:
adriane23 said:
KylieDog said:
adriane23 said:
KylieDog said:
Demon's Souls isn't a JRPG.

Yes it is.

No, it isn't.  J/W RPGs are not determined where they were made, but the style of the game.  It is modelled on the WRPG game type.

Whoever told you that should be slapped in the throat. If that was the case, then I guess the Penny Arcade RPGs are JRPGs and games like The Granstream Saga and Dark Cloud are WRPGs. And what is the "WRPG game type" exactly?

WRPG are generally more realistic in design of both worlds and environments, the 'RPG' side of things are very deep routed in character building with a focus on individual stats for characters and usually armours and weapons too.  There tends to be a lot of choice in the story as well as progression of the world also.

JRPGs tend to be very anime or cartoon styled, aside from a  general level up the RPG side of things tends to be very light and while can get new weapons or armours sometimes the focus isn't on individual stats of a character or equipment and offers little to no choice in character build.  The story has little and often zero choice for the player and the world opens up along with story.

Where a game is made doesn't matter.  WRPGs are named so as that style has been championed by western devs and is found mostly in western made RPGs, JRPGs because it is mainly Japan who make that style (especially due to Final Fantasy's popularity boom in the 90s).

What would you call an Australian made RPG?  Using your logic it certainly isn't a WRPG, Australia isn't in the west, it isn't JRPG because it isn't made in Japan either despite being so close.  The real answer is you base it on the actual game, not where it is made.

You're not making any sense. Just because a region makes games a certain way doesn't justify a label like that. God of War play differently than Devil May Cry and has a different style, but that doesn't mean we classify them as W-Hack and Slash and J-Hack and Slash.

I would call an Australian RPG whatever it's play style dictates, be it tactical/PC style RPGs (what you define as WRPG), turn-based RPG, strategy RPG, action RPG, or whatever. If Australian devs started "championing" a specific style of RPG, it doesn't make a new style of RPG called ARPG or some other similarly stupid moniker.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Persona 4 second, while persona 5 probably will be a mobile game. Sega >_>

KylieDog said:

The terms were created to identify a style of game, people used to call them western style RPGs and Japanese style RPGs, this just got shortened to W/J RPG.

People who try an use location are just wrong and completely miss the original point of the terms.

The terms themselves are the problem, because they require detailed explanation in order to make any sense. And they reek of laziness and generalization, especially in the modern RPG market.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero