By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killer Instinct is 720p, focusing on maintaining 60 FPS

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Your the noob, just put a pixel on the screen and make the FPS OVER 9000!

Plus... Hadoken concept art.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
What???????? This game's graphics look pretty comparable to current gen stuff yet it's only 720? Wasn't injustice at that resolution?

In their defense, most of the great looking games of current gen are sub 720p, too.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Lol really?  I mean its a fighting game...next to racers its got to be the easiest kind of game to bump to 1080p.  I'm pretty sure even SSB on Wii U is 1080p and it can have double the characters on the screen.  This game seems more and more rushed.

bumping racing games to 1080 isn't that easy.In fighting games you can create scenarios just as you need them.People and objects in the backround can be removed ,the cam is almost fixed while fighting etc

In Racing games You can change the camera angle whenever you want ,the drawing distance on real tracks can cause problems as you can't replace the scene and objects to prevent frameratedops and keep the track look like in reality etc.

of course you can make all racing games run 60fps,1080 even on a ps360by using low polygon count,primitive textures and cartoon graphic(the ultimate weapon to avoid expensive graphics) but in a racing sim this is not possible.

lt_dan_27 said:
J_Allard said:
60 fps > resolution

Thankfully developers seem to be understanding that this gen.

I won't downgrade resolution on a game unless it will get under 30-35 fps. 1080p just looks so much better. 

60 or bust for me.

attaboy said:
JoeTheBro said:
What???????? This game's graphics look pretty comparable to current gen stuff yet it's only 720? Wasn't injustice at that resolution?

In their defense, most of the great looking games of current gen are sub 720p, too.

Yes but this is next gen! If it was coming to 360, 720p at 60fps would be doable with very minor graphical downgrades. If the studio wasn't rushed, 1080 would be a walk in the park.

Around the Network

So the limitations of the Xbox1 are already showing? Thats not a good sign.

larrysdirtydrawss said:
wow,is this for real? it's a 2d fighting/side-scrolling game.. this has got to be a joke

It's 3D actually, but the graphics don't look very good, so I'm not sure why they couldn't get it at 1080p/60. 

Like what's stated in the op, Double Helix is a really shitty developer.  As soon as I found out they were developing the game, I've got the feeling the game will be crappy overall.  If it's good then it's their first good game.

I don't even know that we can chalk this up to time constraints. A 2D fighting game that only has two characters on-screen at one time is running at 720p in order to maintain 60fps on hardware that shouldn't be having that kind of problem? The character models are not even that great looking when you take a good look at them. What's more, the game is launching with only 6 characters and virtually no other modes besides online matches and practice modes. When in the hell did Double Helix start working on this game? 6 months ago? I'm glad to see they're sticking to 60fps for a fighting game that is supposed to be fast-paced but why in the world are they having to make sacrifices in order to make an initially barebones 2D fighting game move at that rate?

The best part is that DigitalFloundry said some months ago that KI for the Xbox One will be 1080p. They got exposed.  At least they admitted  that Wii U has the defenitive version of Rayman Legends.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

XBone can't run a fighter game at 60 FPS in 1080p?

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon