By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Xbox One is actually more powerful than the PS4

Since he's not talking about compute power but dedicated servers, seems as good place as any to ask this.

Since I don't really know. What are advantages that dedicated servers have over "P2P"(if I'm not confusing it) servers? Are they more stable? Anything else?

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network

The sad thing is lots of people believe this bs.

When do you guys think we will finally see multiplats to compare?

eFKac said:
Since he's not talking about compute power but dedicated servers, seems as good place as any to ask this.

Since I don't really know. What are advantages that dedicated servers have over "P2P"(if I'm not confusing it) servers? Are they more stable? Anything else?

I think the main advantage is they remove the "host advantage" that the player hosting the P2P game has. May also help with cheating/hacking since it will run on their servers they can look at things closer. Not too sure though beside that.

Oh man, this whole "mine is more powerful than yours" is really getting tiresome. I think it is safe to agree that PS4 is a more capable machine than X1, if that will be seen in actual games remain to be seen.

But these are to incredibly powerful machines!! What the hell are you discussing!?

Last gen Wii, a slightly power-up GC, crushed MS and Sony saleswise. It is always, ultimately, a question regarding what kinds of eperiences you offer people, what games and services you give and of course, the pricing. For me, Son has the upperhand in pricing but behind in every other category. For a Sony fan, they probably have the upper hand in everything.

But how high would you actually rank a small difference in FUTURE graphics as a deciding factor??

These threads are so useless...

this is the Genisis "blast processing" shit all over again.

Around the Network
eFKac said:

With P2P, one of the players in the match is "host".  Meaning everyone else connects to everyone else through that player's console (all traffic runs through them).  This can be an unfair advantage/disadvantage, depending on the game.  

With dedicated servers, the "host" cannot also be a player.  In some PC games, a user can set up their PC as a dedicated server to benefit the community while they are away.  In the case of Xbox, they are referring to super fast server farms hosting matches (since I highly doubt microsoft is going to allow you to make your xbox a COD server while you're in class).  This also reduces the amount of lag compensation that needs to be done since everyone playing is connecting to the same host.  

COD desperately needs this, trust me.  My play experience can vary DRASTICALLY in Black Ops 2 (insta killed vs not, etc.) match to match.  5 different matches in a row, 5 different experiences, same group of players.  All I have to say is, it's ABOUT TIME!

eFKac said:

Dedicated servers have less lag. What p2p basically is, is that one player hosts the game himself and the others connect to him. Needless to say, the host is not likely to have a connection anywhere near the level of a dedicated server. So yes, dedicated servers are more stable, have less lag overall, and have no 'host advantage'. To me, it seems that p2p is good for simple games with few players but as soon as you get something bigger or more complex, there's going to be problems. Don't take my word for it, though, I haven't done any research into the details, I just have a basic understanding of the concept.

Puppyroach said:
Oh man, this whole "mine is more powerful than yours" is really getting tiresome. I think it is safe to agree that PS4 is a more capable machine than X1, if that will be seen in actual games remain to be seen.

But these are to incredibly powerful machines!! What the hell are you discussing!?

Last gen Wii, a slightly power-up GC, crushed MS and Sony saleswise. It is always, ultimately, a question regarding what kinds of eperiences you offer people, what games and services you give and of course, the pricing. For me, Son has the upperhand in pricing but behind in every other category. For a Sony fan, they probably have the upper hand in everything.

But how high would you actually rank a small difference in FUTURE graphics as a deciding factor??

These threads are so useless...

Agree.  Bottom line is both consoles have their strengths.  If you want to play ALL the quality games you'll probably have to buy all 3.  If you absolutely cannot affort it over the course of a 5+ year cycle (I would question how much time and money you should be investing into this hobby anyways) then pick the system that has the games you most want to play.

Di powaz ov teh blast processing, teh Cellz, windrain, da CLOUD baby.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

pokoko said:
"Lanham Napier, CEO of Rackspace, said in an earnings call (transcribed by SeekingAlpha) that Sony is now an “enterprise customer” for the company, continuing:

Sony PlayStation recently signed a services agreement with Rackspace, under which our developers and architects will be consulting and supporting the PlayStation team with their OpenStack private cloud deployment." http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/08/09/playstation-brings-on-rackspace-talent-to-help-with-openstack-private-cloud-deployment/

but that doesnt matter. unless you say a specific number of how many times your console is more powerful on the cloud, you have to say its 40x or 10x or 4x more powerful, and say it on jimmy fallon or at the release event. 

though there seems to be a problem with the cloud being inconsistant, once its 40x times more powerful the other its 4x