By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Top 8 weaknesses of Nintendo

Soundwave said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Soundwave said:

I think they need a flagship "mature" franchise. That doesn't necessarily mean the game is overly dark or violent.

I've suggested Nintendo maybe acquiring the rights to make James Bond games again, that character fits Nintendo well but it doesn't get to a degree of violence that is too over the top. It doesn't have to be Grand Theft Auto or a military shooter.

And I think they need to focus on having more variety on their platforms. It used to be things like F-Zero, Killer Instinct, Star Fox, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, etc. could sell 2-4 million copies on a Nintendo platform and games like NBA Courtside and Excitebike 64 could also be successful.

The Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/DKC/Animal Crossing franchises have become too dominant, it's time for other franchises to either come back or for new ones to become impact IP.

If they could counter balance their more "sugary" franchises like Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, etc. with "saltier" franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Xenoblade, James Bond, Bayonetta, Wave Race, etc. that would be better balance.

Also I think Zelda should become a bit darker (not too much!) and have better storytelling. Actually a lot of my suggestions are for Nintendo to simply return to a lot of the things they used to do in the 1990s anyway, which I think they've gotten too far away from.

They're become too obsessed with the casual audience that's abandoned them and put them in a bad spot with the 3DS and Wii U. And they've become too reliant on Mario nostalgia (not that that's a bad thing, but like everything ... in moderation, there should not be like 20 Mario/Luigi games in a 2-3 year span).

Nintendo doesn't need a mature character, what they need is better third party support. What the should do is use mature characters or mature themed games to show they care about their audience that is growing up. But thats just the problem with my needs, I remember again that Nintendo is a company that makes toys and games for kids and families and has been before I existed so I can accept that. Most gamers who game hardcore with Nintendo were brought up with Nintendo since they learned to walk (much like myself). This just isn't a frustration of myself, but I have heard this from many gamers as well. This is personally the first generation I've never owned a Nintendo console, because of it. 

The thing is third parties don't want to invest their hardcore IP in a platform where the lead character properties are all family-oriented IP.

You notice Nintendo never has any problems in getting IPs like LEGO, and Sonic, and Rayman, and Mickey Mouse, and Skylanders?

It's because third parties see Mario selling like gangbusters and know there's a family friendly audience there.

Ditto for all those fitness/dance/party games that third parties have no problem coming to Nintendo platforms because Wii Sports/Fit/Mario Party etc. set the pace for that market.

But the Grand Theft Auto team, the Metal Gear Solid team, the Final Fantasy team, the Red Dead Revolver team, the BioShock team, the Destiny team ... they avoid Nintendo like the plague.

And I think the big reason is because they look at Nintendo platforms and don't see anything in their vein of product that sells. They see most of the games that sell on Nintendo platforms in big numbers are either Nintendo mascot games, party/fitness games, or mascot/kids licensed IP third party software.

If Nintendo had a franchise like Halo or Uncharted or God of War, I gauruntee the above teams would take Nintendo more seriously. This is a big part of the third party problem. Nintendo doesn't even need like 5 or 6 of them, even just one (big one) would do the trick.

Technically you're correct. Demographic-wise Nintendo hasn't  been a stomping grond for all around types of products in nearly twenty years.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
DanneSandin said:
How did people miss that this is a Rol thread?!

Dammit, lack of KP in the avatar threw me off. I've been had!

Yeah dafuqs up with that avy?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I don't know if you are trolling but this thread is amazing and so very true, even though some points don't really matter.

The fact that so many people have been fooled by this thread compels me to give it a 10/10.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

DerpSandwich said:
The Mario complaint is getting really annoying. The last two NSMB games were released very close to each other, but we only get one per system. We get one or two 3D console titles per generation. There are a lot of other games with Mario's name in the title, but that doesn't mean they're all the same game.

I honestly don't understand what's so hard to understand about this.

I can understand your frustration with this type of rhetoric. I can also understand it's pervasiveness.  I know what you are saying is true because I've been playing Nintendo's games since I was five or so. However if you just throw someone whom hasn't playing Nintendo games thier whole life a list of Nintendo games it's really easy to misconstrue them as doing not much more than a hell of alot of Mario. 

I think Nintendo can solve this problem rather easily.  Take out the Mario branding. Wii sports was amazingly popular without the Mario branding even though its games were heavily inspired by "Mario" games such as golf, tennis etc. They could easily make thier variety more apparent and appealing by taking the Mario name out where it doesn't fit the gameplay definition of classic 2D sidescrolling Mario. I think 3d Mario, Mario kart, Mario & Luigi, Mario golf/tennis/strikers/basketball/baseball could grow to new heights without Mario. 

Around the Network

#1. They're not Sony.

Just kidding.  I agree with most of what was posted.

I agree with #2 that was posted only in the fact that first party software sells more, not that it's actually better than the rest of the software, because first party games have been getting pretty bad lately.

Soleron said:

Top 8 strengths of Nintendo 

8. They respect regional differences in culture by only making appropriate content available

7. They know when an experienced series showrunner can be entrusted with all of the key decisions about a franchise

6. They know exactly why the Wii succeeded and they won't let anything get in the way of replicating that success with Wii U

5. They know that their highest production values should be spent on underperforming IP because it will get it to sell

4. They don't let an established sales base get in the way of doing something completely different with a series

3. Compromising between hardware that would be profitable and hardware that allows third party ports gets them the best of both worlds

2. They know people buy games to get to the console features

1. They get that doing what they enjoy and doing what makes money are the same thing

Much better post than the OP. Rol, I'm disappointed, are you're trolling skills decreasing?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Soundwave said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Soundwave said:

I think they need a flagship "mature" franchise. That doesn't necessarily mean the game is overly dark or violent.

I've suggested Nintendo maybe acquiring the rights to make James Bond games again, that character fits Nintendo well but it doesn't get to a degree of violence that is too over the top. It doesn't have to be Grand Theft Auto or a military shooter.

And I think they need to focus on having more variety on their platforms. It used to be things like F-Zero, Killer Instinct, Star Fox, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, etc. could sell 2-4 million copies on a Nintendo platform and games like NBA Courtside and Excitebike 64 could also be successful.

The Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/DKC/Animal Crossing franchises have become too dominant, it's time for other franchises to either come back or for new ones to become impact IP.

If they could counter balance their more "sugary" franchises like Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, etc. with "saltier" franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Xenoblade, James Bond, Bayonetta, Wave Race, etc. that would be better balance.

Also I think Zelda should become a bit darker (not too much!) and have better storytelling. Actually a lot of my suggestions are for Nintendo to simply return to a lot of the things they used to do in the 1990s anyway, which I think they've gotten too far away from.

They're become too obsessed with the casual audience that's abandoned them and put them in a bad spot with the 3DS and Wii U. And they've become too reliant on Mario nostalgia (not that that's a bad thing, but like everything ... in moderation, there should not be like 20 Mario/Luigi games in a 2-3 year span).

Nintendo doesn't need a mature character, what they need is better third party support. What the should do is use mature characters or mature themed games to show they care about their audience that is growing up. But thats just the problem with my needs, I remember again that Nintendo is a company that makes toys and games for kids and families and has been before I existed so I can accept that. Most gamers who game hardcore with Nintendo were brought up with Nintendo since they learned to walk (much like myself). This just isn't a frustration of myself, but I have heard this from many gamers as well. This is personally the first generation I've never owned a Nintendo console, because of it. 

The thing is third parties don't want to invest their hardcore IP in a platform where the lead character properties are all family-oriented IP.

You notice Nintendo never has any problems in getting IPs like LEGO, and Sonic, and Rayman, and Mickey Mouse, and Skylanders?

It's because third parties see Mario selling like gangbusters and know there's a family friendly audience there.

Ditto for all those fitness/dance/party games that third parties have no problem coming to Nintendo platforms because Wii Sports/Fit/Mario Party etc. set the pace for that market.

But the Grand Theft Auto team, the Metal Gear Solid team, the Final Fantasy team, the Red Dead Revolver team, the BioShock team, the Destiny team ... they avoid Nintendo like the plague.

And I think the big reason is because they look at Nintendo platforms and don't see anything in their vein of product that sells. They see most of the games that sell on Nintendo platforms in big numbers are either Nintendo mascot games, party/fitness games, or mascot/kids licensed IP third party software.

If Nintendo had a franchise like Halo or Uncharted or God of War, I gauruntee the above teams would take Nintendo more seriously. This is a big part of the third party problem. Nintendo doesn't even need like 5 or 6 of them, even just one (big one) would do the trick.

Very good point.

But they need to profit, need to show money to investors as soon as possible, and the casual market help a lot.

And bet in it would take time, is a long time investing, and also didnt work ver well in N64 and cube era.

But i agree it would be the ideal.

prayformojo said:
DerpSandwich said:
The Mario complaint is getting really annoying. The last two NSMB games were released very close to each other, but we only get one per system. We get one or two 3D console titles per generation. There are a lot of other games with Mario's name in the title, but that doesn't mean they're all the same game.

I honestly don't understand what's so hard to understand about this.

History my man. Between 1985 and 2002 there were 6 main console Mario titles released. Between 2007 and 2013, there has been 4 with a 5th set to launch in a few months.

16 years-6 games

6 years-5 games.

I said "3D console titles."  Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D World.  I count five in the last 17 years.  3D titles are not the same as 2D titles which are not the same as Paper Mario titles which are not the same as sports titles which are not the same as Mario Kart titles, etc.  That's the whole point I'm trying to make.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Time is the best solution to weaknesses, as we realize them and overcome them.

In case you didn't know, I have a comic book called Guardians. I'm the writer/creator of it, and we have four issues out right now, with our fifth coming out soon!

We're also doing a Patreon right now for the comic, and I'd appreciate any and all help in getting it funded. If 56 people pledged $3 per issue, we'll be funded

To pledge, click here. Please join Team Guardians!