7 grass type
6 electric type
5 poison type
4 dark type
3 flying type
2 normal type
1 ghost type

Around the Network

8. Low-end hardware - Its was a problem oly with wii and wii U. I think this is a new problem. And also N64 and GC had hardware more than enougth, and they 'failed'.

7. They don't listen to their fans - They listen to qhat the major of fans say. few fans ask for f-zero, much more fans ask for a new (old) mario. Its what we can see in the sales.

6. Mario games - Only because is the same character dont means that is the same game. Same character, different gameplay, i dont know why it is an error. And every year CoD/fifa/AC nobody says that is an error.

5. Local multiplayer centric - I like local multiplayer better than online, there are lots of people like me. Nintendo is the only that please this public, so thats not an error. The error is not ALSO include online multiplayer. They are not excludent.

4. Not enough mature IPs - Ok I agree. I would love to see more. But mature Nintendo IPs will probably sell less than the not mature.

3. Rejection of industry trends in general - Ok, agreed. But sometimes, by rejecting the trends, they bring something new to industry.

2. Dominant first party software sales - a big problem. thats the reason of vicious cicle of third parties on Nintendo consoles.

1. Focus on mascot-driven IPs - Hmm, hadnt though about it...

I could resume that way:
People buy most their less mature games, bonded to characters, they only follow what people want(that way they profit)
when they bide in hardware and more mature first party games they go bad in sales.
It was good until SNES, (but these times they had third party support, and hadnt playstation to compete.)

I cant see why GC 'failed'. Powerfull hardware, the lowest price, mature games, a tradictional controller that was following the trends, mush less mario games, all IPs (that fans ask) were there(metroid, f-zero, star-fox...).

Wii had all of listed errors, but it succed...

The Mario complaint is getting really annoying. The last two NSMB games were released very close to each other, but we only get one per system. We get one or two 3D console titles per generation. There are a lot of other games with Mario's name in the title, but that doesn't mean they're all the same game.

I honestly don't understand what's so hard to understand about this.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

So you could only think of 8? Odd "top #" type of thread.

Weird list. Some are weaknesses, some are strengths, and some are neither.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Nintendo is a great company, but they aren't perfect. There are many things to admire about the way to do business, but there are also many things that could be a lot better, especially from a gamer's perspective. This list will focus only on Nintendo's biggest weaknesses, because the attention span of most readers is very limited. And, of course, it means I have to write less.

8. Low-end hardware - Bar a few exceptions, Nintendo hardware has not been at the forefront of technological progress in the medium video games.

7. They don't listen to their fans - Nintendo seemingly doesn't care about what their fans ask for.

6. Mario games - There seems to be a new Mario game every other month.

5. Local multiplayer centric - While the world has discovered the benefits of the internet, Nintendo still sticks to their old guns.

4. Not enough mature IPs - Or rather, like none at all. It limits the variety of Nintendo's first party catalogue significantly.

3. Rejection of industry trends in general - Nintendo doesn't go with the flow.

2. Dominant first party software sales - I don't think I need to explain why this is a problem.

1. Focus on mascot-driven IPs - Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, you name them. While the gameplay is usually good, the games don't allow the developers much, if any, freedom to create a compelling world or tell an enticing story.

8 - actually, Nintendo's often at the forefront of new hardware. They're just not at the forefront of most powerful hardware. They were the first to use accelerometers, the first to use force feedback, the first to use analog sticks (joysticks like on the atari not included), the first to use touchscreens, the first to use wireless technology... you get the point. I'd argue that Nintendo have been leading the way on technological progress, when the other companies have focused on nothing more than increasing computing power.

7 - Actually, they listen to the fans, but don't let that feedback get in the way of making quality games. As someone at Nintendo has said (can't remember who it was that said it), the best way to go forward isn't to do what the fans ask you to do, but to do what the fans don't realise they want you to do. The reason is that consumers don't actually know what they truly want. That being said, it's easy to confuse "what the fans don't realise they want" with "what you want the fans to want".

6 - He's their mascot. And he's only ever allowed in top-quality games. He's the new Nintendo seal of quality, in a way.

5 - Given that screen sizes have increased so much, it's remarkable that other companies IGNORE local multiplayer. Sure, Nintendo could stand to learn to use the internet a little more, but if I have to choose between local and online multiplayer, I'll choose local.

4 - Depends on your definition of "mature", but I look at Zelda, Metroid, Endless Ocean, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Wii Fit, and the Brain Age/Brain Training games. All of those are far more mature than Dudebro Shooter 297.

3 - And you consider that a WEAKNESS? The fact that Nintendo doesn't just do what everyone else does, and instead provides variety?

2 - It's only a problem for third parties who suck at making games. I find it funny that you're spinning the strength of their first-party lineup as a weakness.

1 - You do realise, don't you, that they typically build the game design first, and then add the IP after that? That, for instance, Kirby's Epic Yarn didn't start out as a Kirby title? Also, they have a long list of non-mascot-driven titles, like Fire Emblem, Endless Ocean, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Wonderful 101, etc.

Nintendo have plenty of weaknesses. Too bad you didn't name any of them.

Top 8 strengths would be much easier. Weaknesses? There's only one: no Reggie on Smash Bros Wii U/3DS. That's one serious weakness.

Top 8 Wiiknesses of Nintendo.

I agree with this list apart from the hardware. The NES, SNES,N64 and Gamecube were all either equal to or better than the best of the generation they were in. It wasn't until Iwata that their home consoles fell behind spec wise.

DerpSandwich said:
The Mario complaint is getting really annoying. The last two NSMB games were released very close to each other, but we only get one per system. We get one or two 3D console titles per generation. There are a lot of other games with Mario's name in the title, but that doesn't mean they're all the same game.

I honestly don't understand what's so hard to understand about this.

History my man. Between 1985 and 2002 there were 6 main console Mario titles released. Between 2007 and 2013, there has been 4 with a 5th set to launch in a few months.

16 years-6 games

6 years-5 games.