By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Top 8 weaknesses of Nintendo

Aielyn said:
RolStoppable said:

Nintendo is a great company, but they aren't perfect. There are many things to admire about the way to do business, but there are also many things that could be a lot better, especially from a gamer's perspective. This list will focus only on Nintendo's biggest weaknesses, because the attention span of most readers is very limited. And, of course, it means I have to write less.

8. Low-end hardware - Bar a few exceptions, Nintendo hardware has not been at the forefront of technological progress in the medium video games.

7. They don't listen to their fans - Nintendo seemingly doesn't care about what their fans ask for.

6. Mario games - There seems to be a new Mario game every other month.

5. Local multiplayer centric - While the world has discovered the benefits of the internet, Nintendo still sticks to their old guns.

4. Not enough mature IPs - Or rather, like none at all. It limits the variety of Nintendo's first party catalogue significantly.

3. Rejection of industry trends in general - Nintendo doesn't go with the flow.

2. Dominant first party software sales - I don't think I need to explain why this is a problem.

1. Focus on mascot-driven IPs - Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, you name them. While the gameplay is usually good, the games don't allow the developers much, if any, freedom to create a compelling world or tell an enticing story.

8 - actually, Nintendo's often at the forefront of new hardware. They're just not at the forefront of most powerful hardware. They were the first to use accelerometers, the first to use force feedback, the first to use analog sticks (joysticks like on the atari not included), the first to use touchscreens, the first to use wireless technology... you get the point. I'd argue that Nintendo have been leading the way on technological progress, when the other companies have focused on nothing more than increasing computing power.

7 - Actually, they listen to the fans, but don't let that feedback get in the way of making quality games. As someone at Nintendo has said (can't remember who it was that said it), the best way to go forward isn't to do what the fans ask you to do, but to do what the fans don't realise they want you to do. The reason is that consumers don't actually know what they truly want. That being said, it's easy to confuse "what the fans don't realise they want" with "what you want the fans to want".

6 - He's their mascot. And he's only ever allowed in top-quality games. He's the new Nintendo seal of quality, in a way.

5 - Given that screen sizes have increased so much, it's remarkable that other companies IGNORE local multiplayer. Sure, Nintendo could stand to learn to use the internet a little more, but if I have to choose between local and online multiplayer, I'll choose local.

4 - Depends on your definition of "mature", but I look at Zelda, Metroid, Endless Ocean, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Wii Fit, and the Brain Age/Brain Training games. All of those are far more mature than Dudebro Shooter 297.

3 - And you consider that a WEAKNESS? The fact that Nintendo doesn't just do what everyone else does, and instead provides variety?

2 - It's only a problem for third parties who suck at making games. I find it funny that you're spinning the strength of their first-party lineup as a weakness.

1 - You do realise, don't you, that they typically build the game design first, and then add the IP after that? That, for instance, Kirby's Epic Yarn didn't start out as a Kirby title? Also, they have a long list of non-mascot-driven titles, like Fire Emblem, Endless Ocean, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Wonderful 101, etc.

Nintendo have plenty of weaknesses. Too bad you didn't name any of them.

Dude, this is a Rol thread..

Anyway. I´d like to read your opinion on what you think their weaknesses are.

Around the Network

Wow, this is getting deep.

In case you didn't know, I have a comic book called Guardians. I'm the writer/creator of it, and we have four issues out right now, with our fifth coming out soon!

We're also doing a Patreon right now for the comic, and I'd appreciate any and all help in getting it funded. If 56 people pledged $3 per issue, we'll be funded

To pledge, click here. Please join Team Guardians!

the worst thing is the Mario games part
theyre basically the same since 1985

JGarret said:
Dude, this is a Rol thread..

Anyway. I´d like to read your opinion on what you think their weaknesses are.

Whether Rol was serious, sarcastic, or trolling, the fact is that a lot of people actually think that way. I figured that the easiest thing to do was point out the absurdity of that set in a calm and clear way.

As for my opinion of Nintendo's weaknesses, here's my top 7, in no particular order:

1. Over-focus on America and Japan (and price-gouging in Europe and Australia).

2. Lack of an FPS franchise (I love Nintendo's variety, and their quality is assured - we need an FPS with the Nintendo touch, again)

3. Insufficient advertising of their second-string franchises.

4. Failure to truly leverage their franchises. (How is there still no Wii Sports U? How have Nintendo still not yet arranged with Sega to make a Mario and Sonic adventure game? How is there still no Pokemon Snap 2? Just to name a few)

5. Failure to really make use of their systems' advantages. (they never truly released the definitive motion control game, they don't do their Nintendo Directs in 3D for viewing on the 3DS - indeed, half the game videos on the eShop are regular 2D videos, and Miiverse still isn't on 3DS, and their first-party Wii U lineup still lacks any real touchscreen-optimised game, and doesn't make use of the second screen in particularly notable ways, yet)

6. Tendency to be overly conservative with their sequels (like Animal Crossing New Leaf, which didn't really introduce anything truly new... don't get me wrong, I'm loving it so far, but it feels like there's something missing, something to make it truly different from Wild World)

7. Too much time spent listening to third parties' claims (like "Nintendo franchises are too strong, we can't compete against them" - when Nintendo intentionally leaves space for third parties to not go up against Nintendo franchises, third parties don't bother to capitalise on it)

8. Failure to use their massively strong finances to grow the company's game-making ability properly. (Why didn't they establish an Australian studio? Why didn't they expand Retro? Why didn't they employ Warren Spector when Junction Point was disbanded?)

Don't get me wrong on all this - I think Nintendo are quite strong, and in many cases, the other console-makers and publishers also have similar weaknesses. But if Nintendo were to address these weaknesses, they'd be unstoppable.

Yeah Mario needs to be shaken up a little, hopefully 3D World will be unique enough to be epic.

In case you didn't know, I have a comic book called Guardians. I'm the writer/creator of it, and we have four issues out right now, with our fifth coming out soon!

We're also doing a Patreon right now for the comic, and I'd appreciate any and all help in getting it funded. If 56 people pledged $3 per issue, we'll be funded

To pledge, click here. Please join Team Guardians!