By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamecube Originals: The greatest hits come to Wii

In a surprise announcement a mere 15 months after the Wii launch, Nintendo has announced "Gamecube Originals". Often for a fraction of their former price, many classic Gamecube titles can be bought from stores to play on your Wii. Nintendo has stated, "The lack of Wii storage space doesn't hinder Gamecube Originals - we have developed a special external disc extremely similar to the Gamecube Disc, with the game preinstalled on it." All major stores internationally have announced immediate availibility.

We can exclusively reveal the list of carefully chosen service launch games to include:

- Super Mario Sunshine

- Super Smash Bros. Melee

- Luigi's Mansion

- Mario Kart: Double Dash

- Metroid Prime

- Resident Evil 4

...and over 642 more. Full list can be found here.

Said J. Q. Johnson of England, "I'm really glad to see these classic Gamecube titles are coming to Wii; my PS2 games can't be bought for my PS3 and Microsoft couldn't be bothered to give full compatibility to original Xbox games. I applaud Nintendo's backwards compatibility efforts."

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network

>The lack of Wii storage space doesn't hinder Gamecube Originals - we have developed a special external disc extremely similar to the Gamecube Disc, with the game preinstalled on it."

isn't that just called Laser Disc? The one they used to make GC games? or am I missing something here?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

So...the GC games will be repacked on DVD's and in Wii cases? What about controls, GC required I assume?

Will these be region locked do you reckon?

Weird, so it's a regular DVD now?

And I just bought SSBM for $15...hopefully they're $20 so I still saved some money haha.

I hope they really push a lot of games out, and that they sell...it'd be a shame if people continue to miss out on some good GC games. I still need Pikmin 1 and 2.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Very nice Game boy...

It's good to see Nintendo doing this, a lot of people missed out on the game cube, when there were some very good titles, and I'm sure some PS2 gamers will be drawn in by this as an extra added bonus

BenKenobi88 said:

I hope they really push a lot of games out, and that they sell...it'd be a shame if people continue to miss out on some good GC games. I still need Pikmin 1 and 2.

The list of all the games they plan to release is in the link in the first post.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

is this a wind up?

do we have a link?

Hmmm, I already have gamecube games, But I could try out games I missed like Pikmin 1& 2, Mario kart DD, Metroid Prime, and RE4