By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Fish gets butthurt.. cancels FEZ II - Update: Leaves games industry

FTW

Team Beer 240 65.04%

Team Fish 126 34.15%

Total:366
green_sky said:
JayWood2010 said:

My favorite Youtube comment on the video:

"You guys need to get with the times" "every new Zelda should be exactly as the first one" How is this "going with the times"?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Meanwhile the japanese industry ignored his comment and acknowledging their fall continues developing great games with real effort.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

and this is how WWIII began......

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Indeed, People who talk about other people's games in that disrespectful tone expect to be respected back. That in itself is mindboggling. Those people are WAAAY too full of themselves. I am really starting to think that this has been for the best.

Isn't that the guy who spewed hate over the 3DS for no reason?

Fuck him. Good riddance!

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

99% of this guy's problems could have been solved by simply logging off twitter.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

DevilRising said:

FEZ and Braid and Super Meat Boy were all solid games. But everything they were they owed absolutely and unquestionably to the Japanese made platformers that came before them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in all blunt honesty, who the fuck are people like Blow and Fish to criticize the Japanese games' industry? It's not exactly as if the games THEY made are SO fucking innovative and amazing, that their shit doesn't stink and they somehow have a place or right to sit and shit talk or criticize games the Japanese are making.

Phil Fish especially is so full of his own shit that it's actually kind of nausiating. This stupid French Canadian cunt (and I happen to like Canadians) thinks he is such a fucking rockstar just because he made ONE game that, lucky for him, happened to do pretty well. The industry does NOT need assholes like him, and nobody is seriously going to miss FEZ 2 ever existing THAT much. Seriously, fuck that guy and the horse he rode in on.

If anything, I would say it is Western game developers, not Japanese, that need to quit doing the same shit over and over and actually try to be innovative. A game like "The Last of Us" may be popular and capture hearts, people may get excited about the next Halo and Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto, but those games are all literally the same old shit that's been done before, over and over and over again over the last decade+. I fully agree that companies who were once great but now kind of suck, such as Namco, Konami, Capcom, Square, etc., need to get their shit together and go back to what made them GREAT a long time ago.

But on the other hand, to ME personally at least, a lot of the best, and most talented developers are still coming from Japan. Nintendo, despite people's criticisms of them, and despite them continuing to carry on long time franchises, they still find ways to do new things with those old franchises, they find ways to innovate and bring freshness. And their games stand out as being unique in an industry flooded with shooters and generic "sandbox" games. But what's more, developers like Treasure, like Camelot, like Good-Feel, like Monolith Soft, like Team Ico, like Vanillaware, and Nigoro (makers of La-Mulana), or Pixel (creator of Cave Story), like Platinum Games (formerly Clover), like Grasshopper Manufacture, like HAL Laboratories, etc. etc. etc. I feel that a lot of the best (or at least best and most interesting to me as a gamer) content is still to this day coming out of Japan.

So really, who the hell is some classless, clueless, in-love-with-his-own-self-made-legend fuck like Phil Fish to sit and tell a Japanese developer that modern Japanese games "Suck" and that they need to "get with the times". If "getting with the times" means them producing their OWN versions of games involving shooting things with guns, I'm good. I'd rather have a modicum of creativity, myself.

Comments like these alwasy make me facepalm. What gives him the right to give his opinions on Japanese games? A fucking 5 year old should be able to answer that, they were asked a fucking question. What do you expect them to do not answer it? They were asked what they thought of modern Japanese games, and they answered with their oppinions. Sure they answered in a dickish way but considering they were laughing about it the whole time it's not like they were treating it that seriously and it's a Q&A session on a pannel at PAX with indies without media training, people shouldn't take it so fucking seriously. At then end of the day it's just a few gamers personal oppnions it's the rest of the internet blowing it up to be something more.If it wasn't for people like you and the games media the is fuled by your outrage then they wouldn't "act like their shit doesn't stink" because they most likely don't and it's just the media cycle blowing everything up. Imagine if any time you gave your oppinion on something on the spot you snap answers were splashed over news blogs  and forums across the net (especialy if it could be construed as negative and cause a controvisy), and you were in a documentary edited to play up your darkest and most vulnerable moments for dramatic effect, people would probably think you are a pretentious self important arse as well.

People constantly ask them for their oppnions and then they get shit for giving their fucking oppnions by over sensitive babies on the internet. And when they get fed up of constantly getting asked about stuff and then getting shit on for giving their honest oppinions, they get shit from tools like Baer for not giving their oppnions on every little thing when they don't have anything relevent to say on the matter.

Phil Fish isn't the nicest guy on the planet and he can be a bit pretentious (most creative types are), and hot headed. But he is also Bipolar and his behaviour is textbook bipolar. In the public spotlight and the stress of working on games is honestly a bad fit for him, the fact that he lasted as long as he did and what he managed to achive with FEZ (not that I am a fan myself, never liked puzzle platformers) is actualy pretty amazing. Honestly the constant cavalcade of shit that high profile indies get would be hard on anyone let alone someone with his condition. Not that that excuses his behaviour, in a world where everything you say is being broadcast around the world and everyone is picking out the worst bits and blowing them up you can't really afford to speak your mind especially on contraversial topics, unless you have one hell of a thick skin. And for someone like Phil who's defence mechanisim to anything he percives as an attack is to attack in kind, modern social media makes them their own worst enemy.

And "If "getting with the times" means them producing their OWN versions of games involving shooting things with guns, I'm good. I'd rather have a modicum of creativity, myself." Seriously? These are the people that made FEZ and Braid and both of them have talked a lot of shit about western AAA development. They are the first people to call out the AAA industry being all grim dark guns, swords and explosions. The only difference between your comments on western games and their comments on Japanese games is that people care what they say.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I think Fish is a jerk and probably was looking for an excuse because he didn't become the 'God' of the Indie scene and rake in a ton of dough for his commendable efforts that he seems to believes were not appreciated.

That being said, 5 emails in one hour on a rumor based story doesn't win any points with me either. So nuts to them both although if the rumor Fish basically quitting the industry is factual he is a punk bitch who probably couldn't handle it anyway.

So in response to being called whiny, Fish goes full emo and quits the gaming industry? Way to prove a point there.

Also, isn't "I didn't leave because of some boorish fuck saying something stupid. I'm leaving because of the abuse" a little contradictory on itself?

sweet jesus I've never felt so good about laughing out loud at another human in sometime. If you've watched Indie Game:The Movie you'd see that this Fish guy is all sorts of fucked up in the head. I do absolutely love how he turned around to the guy and told him to go kill himself, then later said that he had to understand that the guy had hurt his feelings by insulting some of the people who might play his game?! so he got so offended for someone else that he told someone to end their life. Awesome.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive