By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Fish gets butthurt.. cancels FEZ II - Update: Leaves games industry

FTW

Team Beer 240 65.04%

Team Fish 126 34.15%

Total:366

He's like the Kanye West of Indies.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
marcus beer is a fucking idiot too, he started the insults .

this industry is pathetic specialy the " gaming journalists ".

This.

I can't stand all these "celebrity" game journos.

I will always respect people who actually make games instead of these assholes who just blog about them.

pbroy said:
He's like the Kanye West of Indies.

lol. I just commented this on multiple peoples status. He is indeed.

But in all seriousness, Jonathan Blow and Him have huge egos for just indie success. They still have many games left to proove themselves. 

It's just that simple.

The Fury said:
Weird... don't care about either guy but all I can think reading the original post was that this Beer guy is a knob, he should get over himself. So what if Fish didn't want to comment on MS's Self-Publishing stance... let him not comment.

Of course Fish reaction is nothing to be desired but maybe he just feels insulted (and rightly so) and he apparently isn't getting an apology any times soon. It's a shame if the game really is cancelled, and all because journalists couldn't get their way.

i'm not 100% sure how it was but i believe some media askled him about his opinion since he also said his opinion some times before about microsoft's policies so to ask him is pretty legit and then he complained about that on twitter instead of just saying nothing. and then it all started with those two guys killing each other on twitter.

so, why does fish just not answer the media instead of complaining about them? does he really excpet that they won't ask him about microsoft's indie policy change even when he is probably the most known indie developer for this topic?

well, not 100% sure if it was like that but i believe so.

This guy is no immature... he is a figure... I have a lot of laughs reading his twitees.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:

i'm not 100% sure how it was but i believe some media askled him about his opinion since he also said his opinion some times before about microsoft's policies so to ask him is pretty legit and then he complained about that on twitter instead of just saying nothing. and then it all started with those two guys killing each other on twitter.

so, why does fish just not answer the media instead of complaining about them? does he really excpet that they won't ask him about microsoft's indie policy change even when he is probably the most known indie developer for this topic?

well, not 100% sure if it was like that but i believe so.

It makes sense but even after the video bitching at him, he said he was going to comment after he knew more, which makes sense. But before he knows more, if the media kept hounding for a comment and were not listening to his 'I'm not going to comment', then he has a case to be annoyed.

Regardless of his character, which many know already, it is surely Beer's reaction that stood out more at the time. He bitched and moaned like a little kid because he didn't get his way, the end result seems like a fight between 2 spoilded princesses.

Hmm, pie.

Hynad said:

Nicely put. Marcus is indeed a mouth piece. 

I agree with him on some things about the attitude of some indie devs. But in the case here, he's calling out people for being a certain way... while having the exact same attitude. Quite the hypocrite.

Fuck it!  I had this night thoughtful response, but lost it.

So, bottom line they're both idiots and they both have themselves to blame for this.  They're both the worst of what this industry has to offer even despite their personal contributions.  They both should be ashamed of themselves.

JayWood2010 said:

If anybody was wondering what the Japanese comment people has been talking about from Phil Fish and Johnathon Blow here it is.  To be fair, Blow said what he said in a much better manner and tried to be instructive.  Fish on the other hand just seemed rude and the guy laughing hysterically  didnt help.

In all honesty though, FEZ is a good game though.  Even if he is a jerk FEZ was good and hopefully he doesnt leave the industry.  Just improve his attitude a little and maybe apologize for some of his comments.

Wow, these guys must be butt-hurt that Japanese games still dominate so much of the market.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

JayWood2010 said:

JayWood2010 said:

If anybody was wondering what the Japanese comment people has been talking about from Phil Fish and Johnathon Blow here it is.  To be fair, Blow said what he said in a much better manner and tried to be instructive.  Fish on the other hand just seemed rude and the guy laughing hysterically  didnt help.

In all honesty though, FEZ is a good game though.  Even if he is a jerk FEZ was good and hopefully he doesnt leave the industry.  Just improve his attitude a little and maybe apologize for some of his comments.

FEZ and Braid and Super Meat Boy were all solid games. But everything they were they owed absolutely and unquestionably to the Japanese made platformers that came before them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in all blunt honesty, who the fuck are people like Blow and Fish to criticize the Japanese games' industry? It's not exactly as if the games THEY made are SO fucking innovative and amazing, that their shit doesn't stink and they somehow have a place or right to sit and shit talk or criticize games the Japanese are making.

Phil Fish especially is so full of his own shit that it's actually kind of nausiating. This stupid French Canadian cunt (and I happen to like Canadians) thinks he is such a fucking rockstar just because he made ONE game that, lucky for him, happened to do pretty well. The industry does NOT need assholes like him, and nobody is seriously going to miss FEZ 2 ever existing THAT much. Seriously, fuck that guy and the horse he rode in on.

If anything, I would say it is Western game developers, not Japanese, that need to quit doing the same shit over and over and actually try to be innovative. A game like "The Last of Us" may be popular and capture hearts, people may get excited about the next Halo and Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto, but those games are all literally the same old shit that's been done before, over and over and over again over the last decade+. I fully agree that companies who were once great but now kind of suck, such as Namco, Konami, Capcom, Square, etc., need to get their shit together and go back to what made them GREAT a long time ago.

But on the other hand, to ME personally at least, a lot of the best, and most talented developers are still coming from Japan. Nintendo, despite people's criticisms of them, and despite them continuing to carry on long time franchises, they still find ways to do new things with those old franchises, they find ways to innovate and bring freshness. And their games stand out as being unique in an industry flooded with shooters and generic "sandbox" games. But what's more, developers like Treasure, like Camelot, like Good-Feel, like Monolith Soft, like Team Ico, like Vanillaware, and Nigoro (makers of La-Mulana), or Pixel (creator of Cave Story), like Platinum Games (formerly Clover), like Grasshopper Manufacture, like HAL Laboratories, etc. etc. etc. I feel that a lot of the best (or at least best and most interesting to me as a gamer) content is still to this day coming out of Japan.

So really, who the hell is some classless, clueless, in-love-with-his-own-self-made-legend fuck like Phil Fish to sit and tell a Japanese developer that modern Japanese games "Suck" and that they need to "get with the times". If "getting with the times" means them producing their OWN versions of games involving shooting things with guns, I'm good. I'd rather have a modicum of creativity, myself.