By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Fish gets butthurt.. cancels FEZ II - Update: Leaves games industry

FTW

Team Beer 240 65.04%

Team Fish 126 34.15%

Total:366
Adinnieken said:
Wright said:

yo_john117 said:

I honestly haven't been paying too much attention to what's been going on with him (or really any indie developer for that matter...except for Mojang of course ^_^ ) so I wasn't aware that he gets consantly insulted. Still, that's not professional at all nor is it professional for any of the journalists that were insulting him in such a way. Including this Beer guy (whom I've never heard of before today).

Additionally though, if you're constantly getting mocked and insulted on a daily basis, maybe it's time to change your attitude since it has to be pretty poor for that to happen.

Perhaps, but that's no reason for a gaming journalist to come and insult him too just for the insult bandwagon. It is totally unprofessional.

Don't use the term jouirnalist so loosely.  You would honestly be surprised who are really journalists out there and who are just mouth pieces.

Nicely put. Marcus is indeed a mouth piece. 

I agree with him on some things about the attitude of some indie devs. But in the case here, he's calling out people for being a certain way... while having the exact same attitude. Quite the hypocrite.

Around the Network

This just gets more pathetic by the hour!

I guess that's why it's so hilarious.

Recent history has taught us Fish has no problem using negative publicity to promote himself and his projects. Don't be surprised when this game is uncanceled soon after all the free publicity from this runs its course.

b]When you think about it, should anyone be surprised a guy with a name like Phil Fish is such a giant asswipe? With a name like that, he was born to be a douchebag. He's like the Chris Jericho of the gaming industry.

Mythmaker1 said:

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/90323/fez-2-possibly-cancelled-after-huge-twitter-row/

It took me all of two seconds to find that. Couldn't you have just gotten it yourself instead of asking me to get it for you?

I don't think you understand the concept of this whole "civil conduct" thing. The fact you are unironically quoting a line when you tell someone they should kill themselves doesn't suddenly make it cool. Especially if they don't understand the reference and fail to get the "joke."

For instance, if I were to get into a heated argument with someone on a forum, and then at the end I typed a death threat that came from a movie, I imagine it would be pretty awkward, wouldn't you say? Of course the fact it's a quote makes it perfectly alright...

And that was 2 secs that I saved for something else.  Thanks. 

We'll just have to continue to disagree on the "threat."  Personally, I see Beer more in the wrong on this than Fish.  I find it funny people are criticising Fish for reacting that way to someone insulting him, completely ignoring and/or excusing Beer for being the first to react poorly to criticism, starting the insults.  Blow's and Fish's original criticism weren't even harsh, and really just shed more light on the poor state that game "journalism" is in.  Guess some people can't handle constructive criticism, can't return in kind, and instead resort to insults.

thismeintiel said:

We'll just have to continue to disagree on the "threat."  Personally, I see Beer more in the wrong on this than Fish.  I find it funny people are criticising Fish for reacting that way to someone insulting him, completely ignoring and/or excusing Beer for being the first to react poorly to criticism, starting the insults.  Blow's and Fish's original criticism weren't even harsh, and really just shed more light on the poor state that game "journalism" is in.  Guess some people can't handle constructive criticism, can't return in kind, and instead resort to insults.

I suppose I should go "ha ha aren't you cheeky :P", but seriously, do your own research. I for one am not inclined to take opinions seriously when the person offering them hasn't bothered to actually look at what they're talking about.

And Beer doesn't get any slack here. But he was being unreasonable in his tone, not his criticism. Fish and Blow took potshots at media peoples who were just doing their jobs, and not going about it unreasonably either by publically rebuking them for no good reason. It was unprofessional, it was childish, and it was hypocritical, which was exactly the point Beer was making.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network
Mythmaker1 said:

thismeintiel said:

I suppose I should go "ha ha aren't you cheeky :P", but seriously, do your own research. I for one am not inclined to take opinions seriously when the person offering them hasn't bothered to actually look at what they're talking about.

And Beer doesn't get any slack here. But he was being unreasonable in his tone, not his criticism. Fish and Blow took potshots at media peoples who were just doing their jobs, and not going about it unreasonably either by publically rebuking them for no good reason. It was unprofessional, it was childish, and it was hypocritical, which was exactly the point Beer was making.

You were the one who brought up them rebuking the media.  It is not my job to research to prove your point.  You have to back up your claims, which you have done, now. 

Also, the media deserves to have potshots taken at it.  It consists completely of rumor and speculation, now.  They aren't really journalists.  They don't actually investigate anything.  Ever since the switch to mainly internet outlets, sites have just quickly regurgitated what another site posts, without even going to official sources to back it up.  And usually with an even more sensationalist headline than the site before.  Why?  Cause they are just worried about getting in on the site hit storm, just to collect more ad revenue.  Given that Blow and Fish are some of the more recognizable names in the indie market, they probably get emailed a shitload of times everytime a rumor is reported on each site.  I imagine I would grow tired of this, as well, and want to call them out on their ridiculousness. 

Which is completely justifiable considering they only offered criticism.  They didn't name names.  They didn't throw out insults.  It seems the gaming media is getting too big for their briches, and any kind of criticism needs to be quashed.  If that means insulting devs and dragging their character through the mud, so be it.

thismeintiel said:
Mythmaker1 said:

thismeintiel said:

You were the one who brought up them rebuking the media.  It is not my job to research to prove your point.  You have to back up your claims, which you have done, now. 

Also, the media deserves to have potshots taken at it.  It consists completely on rumor and speculation, now.  They aren't really journalists.  They don't actually investigate anything.  Ever since the switch to mainly internet outlets, sites have just quickly regurgitated what another site posts, without even going to official sources to back it up.  And usually with an even more sensationalist headline than the site before.  Why?  Cause they are just worried about getting in on the site hit storm, just to collect more ad revenue.  Given that Blow and Fish are some of the more recognizable names in the indie market, they probably get emailed a shitload of times everytime a rumor is reported on each site.  I imagine I would grow tired of this, as well, and want to call them out on their ridiculousness. 

Which is completely justifiable considering they only offered criticism.  They didn't name names.  They didn't throw out insults.  It seems the gaming media is getting too big for their briches, and any kind of criticism needs to be quashed.  If that means insulting devs and dragging their character through the mud, so be it.

Actually, you were the one who stated, incorrectly, that Beer was upset about himself being snubbed, and that he was an egotistical liar as well. You started with a false assumption you couldn't back up because you didn't do any looking into it, and when I corrected you, you asked for the same backing you hadn't bothered to get. Is my request that you know what you are talking about before you talk about it too much?

And you aren't wrong about the gaming media. But what they criticized these journalists for was not the laziness or hyperbole that afflicts it, but reasonable inquiry. These weren't frivolous questions about something outside their area of expertise, this was something right up their alley, and which would likely have a direct effect upon them. They could easily have just said, politely, that they were waiting for more information. Instead, they mocked people who were only doing their jobs, and for that, they can fairly be criticized.

And by the way, Marcus Beer was by far more qualified and topical in discussing it in the past than they were here, and he's inside the machine, so to speak. They, from the outside, only complain about the issues that directly affect them. They do not win any points from me in that regard.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Fez is neat, but vastly overrated, and Fish is such an incredibly enormous self-appreciating asshole, it's hilarious. He was absolutely the worst part of watching that "Indie Game" documentary. What a fucking tool.

I hope he really has left games for good. The world would be a better place if he just dropped off the radar and stayed gone.

We are all doomed, where are we going to find games to play now that Phill Fish is gone??? WHERE??????

Oh, wait...

EVERYWHERE!

There are thousands of outstanding games, dozens of thousands, we don´t need this jerk.

Remember GDC,
Let us talk about the real Phill Fish. He is the dude who offended a poor japanese developer at GDC, remember? The poor guy asked him about his thought on japanese gaming and he replyed, in fronto of hundreds: YOUR GAMES JUST SUCK. Everybody laughed and the japanese dev said "Thank you for your answer".

I have no simpathy for this jerk.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

RenCutypoison said:
BasilZero said:

Ahh he'll be back. $$$$ always brings back these types of people.

Wich $$$ ?

Fez only sold 100 000 copies before steam sales and took five years to make.

He didn't get that much money.

He made more than a million dollars, that is plenty.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.