By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Next Super Smash Bros. Won't Have a Deep Story Mode/Cutscenes (But will have a Single Player Campaign mode)

Tagged games:

Are you disappointed with the announcement?

Yes - liked having a storyline and cutscenes 85 53.46%

No - I dont care 74 46.54%

Total:159

I say good riddance.

I'd rather have Character intro videos on the disc. SSBM didn't need cutscenes and that ended up being the better game. Story in Smash isn't really appreciated.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

to be honest never cared about story mode......cutscenes are a big lose though

It's a fighting game and like any other fighting game it doesn't need a deep story. Sub-Space Emissary was fun and a nice way of unlocking the full roster but nothing memorable.

Signature goes here!

Honestly if there is no story mode what the hell is taking them so long to make the game...My guess is they are adding in something different.

I'm going to correct you before this spins out of control. It'll have a story mode, so please correct your error:

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-confirms-single-player-campaign-for-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

“There will be a single player [campaign], but it won’t be like the [Subspace Emissary] mode in Brawl. One thing we can do with the Smash Bros. series that’s unique to us — because we have all these different disparate characters brought together — is we can create that sort of fan-movie experience as a special gift. But now those things are posted on the internet, it doesn’t really become a gift for people who played the game.”
“What we decided this time around, we’re just going to have [those movies unlocked] from the beginning. We’re going to have a movie for Wii Fit Trainer, The Villager and Mega Man and they’ll be viewable right at the beginning, you can watch those right away.”

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I don't think his reasoning is stupid. Gaming community (and people in general) just love to throw that word around, but I would wager most of you guys are more "stupid" than what you call stupid all the time.

Sakurai wants to deliver quality experiences, and I can see why people uploading all of the cut scenes you normally would get from playing the game makes the cut scenes lose their value. If you ever watched ThatOneVideoGamer's videos on youtube, you can see why it just isn't worth the effort to make all those CG scenes and a drawn-out story based around them.

That was my favorite part of SSB on the Wii. I really suck at multi-player. I love Nintendo and Brawl was like a love letter to Nintendo with all of the content. Looks like there's one less reason for me to be hyped up for the game.

Conegamer said:
I'm going to correct you before this spins out of control. It'll have a story mode, so please correct your error:

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-confirms-single-player-campaign-for-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

“There will be a single player [campaign], but it won’t be like the [Subspace Emissary] mode in Brawl. One thing we can do with the Smash Bros. series that’s unique to us — because we have all these different disparate characters brought together — is we can create that sort of fan-movie experience as a special gift. But now those things are posted on the internet, it doesn’t really become a gift for people who played the game.”
“What we decided this time around, we’re just going to have [those movies unlocked] from the beginning. We’re going to have a movie for Wii Fit Trainer, The Villager and Mega Man and they’ll be viewable right at the beginning, you can watch those right away.”

Thank you. It's a shame people still believe on Kotakus articles. 

Spazzy_D said:
I'm going to say it again: it's a good thing if they are not focusing on an in depth story mode. I liked Melee's adventure mode fine, and with less focus on something like sub space maybe we will get things like individual break the targets back, which would be awesome. At the end of the day, if they spend 90% of their time on character roster, stages, items, and online modes I couldn't be happier.

im with you, did the subspace crap really cause delays and take up that much space? Wow if I needed any more reasons to be letdown by that game.

the reasons are silly, maybe they cant pull off the CG for 3DS so they are just gonna not do it. Im actually happy, subspace emmisary was terrible, long and boring. the cutscenes...likewise, I dont give a damn how pretty they were, but it doesnt mean anything without context. It was just a bunch of random crap strung together by a barely their story. good riddance, now focus on not having crap online

If they can remove the time dedicated to those cut-scenes and story mode and put it back into the main game, then I am all for it. The game should be better and quicker to make that way.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)