By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Next Super Smash Bros. Won't Have a Deep Story Mode/Cutscenes (But will have a Single Player Campaign mode)

Tagged games:

Are you disappointed with the announcement?

Yes - liked having a storyline and cutscenes 85 53.46%

No - I dont care 74 46.54%

Total:159
Th3PANO said:
I love how the internet is overreacting, again. Cause it's Nintendo. People acting like story mode is the biggest reason for having Smash Bros. He never said there isn't a singleplayer. He said, it isn't cutscene based cause he wants to surprise gamers.

Yup. General opinion a few days ago: SSE was shitty. Shitty gameplay, bland stages, bland cutscenes, ruined unlocking the characters.

Opinion now: OMGWTF why u remove SSE. Literally HITLER >:{ 

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
KHlover said:
Th3PANO said:
I love how the internet is overreacting, again. Cause it's Nintendo. People acting like story mode is the biggest reason for having Smash Bros. He never said there isn't a singleplayer. He said, it isn't cutscene based cause he wants to surprise gamers.

Yup. General opinion a few days ago: SSE was shitty. Shitty gameplay, bland stages, bland cutscenes, ruined unlocking the characters.

Opinion now: OMGWTF why u remove SSE. Literally HITLER >:{ 

I actually liked SSE ;(

women.

Personally I was indifferent towards it. I found the cutscenes and boss battles to be nice, the Great Labyrinth to be terrible and the rest was completely forgettable.

I really don't understand Sakurai's reasoning? Not making cutscenes or story because it does'nt feel special enough since ppl can see them on youtube? And that because of that, are not a worthy award to move forward into the game? The hell?!

First of all, what are the ''reward'' of beating a game? First their is the fun and accomplishment of it, nothing can take this away so that is 1reason enough to make a story. Second ''reward'', you get to see how the game ends. And for EVERY game, you can go watch or read how the game ends on the internet. That is the case for EVERY game! So why is this a dealbreaker for Smash? Just because you can spoil something does'nt mean everyone will. If someone does, that's their decision and they are the minority, most ppl will play the game first and get to experience everything first hand while playing, so why ruin their fun just because a minority don't mind ruining theirs.

Secondly, the cutscenes were awsome, that was the reasons they were on Youtube. Ppl after beating the game wanted to rewatch them again and again and show them to their friends w/o having to replay hours of the story just to watch that paticular cutscenes (I don't remember if you had a ingame option to watch cutscenes, someone tell me if I'm wrong). Those awsome cutscenes available to everyone on the internet were not ruining the game for anyone, they were instead advertise the game to those who did'nt think they would buy it.

Basicaly what Sakurai is saying is ''We can only truly wow someone with a cutscenes the first time they see it. Internet exists so a few ppl choosing to be wowed on the internet and ruining it for them in the game is bound to happen. So I chosen to not wow anyone at all'' Seriously, it seems that Nintendo is filled from head to toe with ppl thinking non-sense.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

KHlover said:

Personally I was indifferent towards it. I found the cutscenes and boss battles to be nice, the Great Labyrinth to be terrible and the rest was completely forgettable.

That has been probably one of the most lazy resources to artificially extend the length of the game. Seriously. Beat it twice, with a clumsy map so that you have to re-do sequences you've already done. T_T

Quite frankly, I grew to hate sub space. It dragged on for waaay to long and something more like Adventure mode from Melee would better. Kinda bumed about the cut cutscences as that was the only reason outside of unlocking characters that kept it mildly enjoyable.

Around the Network
KHlover said:
Ljink96 said:
MDMAlliance said:
Ljink96 said:
Well Sakurai, we have seen the Villager, Megaman, and Wii Fit cutscenes online already!

I would have loved another Subspace with stages based of of character worlds but whatever. As long as there is some kind of single player experience. I can't play Free For All all the time Sakurai. I think we won't get the cutscenes because 3DS can't handle it.

No, Sakurai said that those cutscenes will be in the game.  I also don't get what's up with "3DS can't handle it."  You could actually watch those cutscenes on the 3DS through the eShop.

I know 3DS can handle cutscenes but the question is, how many? If I'm not mistaken most 3DS cards are 2GB. But if Sakurai said that all the cutscenes will be availiable then more power to him. The Wii U is being based off of the 3DS version since the 3DS version was the first one to come to Sakurai's mind. So when the 3DS version has reached full capacity so will the WiiU version since he "wanted them to be the same game".

The 3DS can handle cartridges of up to 8GB, that's the same size as a Dual-Layer Wii Disk. Theorethically the 3DS should be able to handle about the same amount of cutscenes as SSBB had.

Exactly, UP TO. I think if the team uses a 8GB card then the price will show. Haven't seen a $50 Nintendo made 3DS game yet.

Th3PANO said:

love how you are so quick to defend Ninty you arent even reading the responses, most people seem to be happy about this. They just find the reasoning faulty

Wierd, I coulda swore I'd heard about this ages ago.

Metrium said:
I really don't understand Sakurai's reasoning? Not making cutscenes or story because it does'nt feel special enough since ppl can see them on youtube? And that because of that, are not a worthy award to move forward into the game? The hell?!

First of all, what are the ''reward'' of beating a game? First their is the fun and accomplishment of it, nothing can take this away so that is 1reason enough to make a story. Second ''reward'', you get to see how the game ends. And for EVERY game, you can go watch or read how the game ends on the internet. That is the case for EVERY game! So why is this a dealbreaker for Smash? Just because you can spoil something does'nt mean everyone will. If someone does, that's their decision and they are the minority, most ppl will play the game first and get to experience everything first hand while playing, so why ruin their fun just because a minority don't mind ruining theirs.

Secondly, the cutscenes were awsome, that was the reasons they were on Youtube. Ppl after beating the game wanted to rewatch them again and again and show them to their friends w/o having to replay hours of the story just to watch that paticular cutscenes (I don't remember if you had a ingame option to watch cutscenes, someone tell me if I'm wrong). Those awsome cutscenes available to everyone on the internet were not ruining the game for anyone, they were instead advertise the game to those who did'nt think they would buy it.

Basicaly what Sakurai is saying is ''We can only truly wow someone with a cutscenes the first time they see it. Internet exists so a few ppl choosing to be wowed on the internet and ruining it for them in the game is bound to happen. So I chosen to not wow anyone at all'' Seriously, it seems that Nintendo is filled from head to toe with ppl thinking non-sense.

^This! I'm fine with the decision, it's just the logic behind it is so nonsensical even for Nintendo that this can't possibly be the real reason. 

oniyide said:
Th3PANO said:

love how you are so quick to defend Ninty you arent even reading the responses, most people seem to be happy about this. They just find the reasoning faulty

Defending Ninty? Of course. Cause enough people (only vgchartz) who aren't even slightly itnerested in Nintendo Games are acting like it's the worst thing that ever happened to Smash Bros. lol. Why whinig about the reasoning when it's totally okay without a cinematic experience?

I was trying to think of how it would feel to hear that about an upcoming game I am excited about.
I haven't really played much of Smash Bros but I never did get into it. I played the emissary missions and they just seemed like long empty corridors that were boring. I would just run constantly and there was never any challenge.

I try to imagine its like taking the story from Mario Bros out of the games. That might not be such a bad thing since so many people complain about the story. I would hope content was added to make up for the loss though.

I don't know many fighting games that have much story. I just picked up Tekken Tag 2 the other day and I have been playing it but haven't seen much story to it.