By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Next Super Smash Bros. Won't Have a Deep Story Mode/Cutscenes (But will have a Single Player Campaign mode)

Tagged games:

Are you disappointed with the announcement?

Yes - liked having a storyline and cutscenes 85 53.46%

No - I dont care 74 46.54%

Total:159
Soundwave said:

Anyone think Nintendo's sitting on a gold mine here and maybe doesn't realize it? A Subspace Emissary type concept expanded into a full game would be a monster franchise.

Kinda like an Infinity Gauntlet/Avengers concept for the Nintendo universe (look at what The Avengers did for Marvel movies). I think it would work better if it wasn't anchored to the Smash Bros. engine either -- the Mario 3D World engine for instance would suit a game like this better. Co-op play.

I think that would be a 10-20 million selling franchise on its own.

A main villain character causes Link/Mario/Pitt/Samus/Fox/Cap Falcon/DK/Ash/etc. all have to team up to stop him from destroying the Nintendo universe or something. Sprinkle it with references to old Nintendo products (the Famicom/NES, and so on). Like the Marvel movie concept maybe they have subtle little tie-ins to this game in regular Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/etc. games too to build it up.

Would be great I think. Maybe have small cameos from third party characters (Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Monster Hunter dude, etc.).

that sounds...horrible

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
miz1q2w3e said:

I'm genuinely curious why you bother doing this in almost every thread, though I can't imagine you coming up with a good reason.

Hit people with truth?  Someone needs to.

Oh wow ok.

Thanks for the reply at least.

oniyide said:
Soundwave said:

Anyone think Nintendo's sitting on a gold mine here and maybe doesn't realize it? A Subspace Emissary type concept expanded into a full game would be a monster franchise.

Kinda like an Infinity Gauntlet/Avengers concept for the Nintendo universe (look at what The Avengers did for Marvel movies). I think it would work better if it wasn't anchored to the Smash Bros. engine either -- the Mario 3D World engine for instance would suit a game like this better. Co-op play.

A main villain character causes Link/Mario/Pitt/Samus/Fox/Cap Falcon/DK/Ash/etc. all have to team up to stop him from destroying the Nintendo universe or something. Sprinkle it with references to old Nintendo products (the Famicom/NES, and so on). Like the Marvel movie concept maybe they have subtle little tie-ins to this game in regular Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/etc. games too to build it up.

Would be great I think. Maybe have small cameos from third party characters (Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Monster Hunter dude, etc.).

that sounds...horrible

It's Nintendo it would play great. I don't see what's horrible about it. I think it could potentially be a bigger franchise than Smash itself if done correctly.

I remember when the Smash concept itself was revealed way back in the late 90s a lot of people thought it was a stupid idea, and Nintendo themselves had concerns about a fighting game with Nintendo characters. But it worked out more than fine I'd say.

Aw... I hoped that they would expand upon the story mode for the next Smash.

Soundwave said:
oniyide said:
Soundwave said:

that sounds...horrible

It's Nintendo it would play great. I don't see what's horrible about it. I think it could potentially be a bigger franchise than Smash itself if done correctly.

I remember when the Smash concept itself was revealed way back in the late 90s a lot of people thought it was a stupid idea, and Nintendo themselves had concerns about a fighting game with Nintendo characters. But it worked out more than fine I'd say.

oh please, like how SSE played great? yeah that was a lot of fun. Spare me, if they made such a thing, have at it ill save my money

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Soundwave said:
oniyide said:
Soundwave said:

that sounds...horrible

oh please, like how SSE played great? yeah that was a lot of fun. Spare me, if they made such a thing, have at it ill save my money

That's why I'm saying such a concept would be better off having its own engine built specifically for such a game rather than being tied to the Smash Bros. engine, which doesn't make sense for an adventure/action game.

It would be like having the Avengers concept shoe-horned into a 10-minute sub plot in one of the Iron Man movies rather than making a whole movie out of it. Of course it wouldn't be satisfying.

I am posting these again since no one actually reads.

There will be a single player [campaign], but it won’t be like the [Subspace Emissary] mode in Brawl. One thing we can do with the Smash Bros. series that’s unique to us — because we have all these different disparate characters brought together — is we can create that sort of fan-movie experience as a special gift. But now those things are posted on the internet, it doesn’t really become a gift for people who played the game.”

“What we decided this time around, we’re just going to have [those movies unlocked] from the beginning. We’re going to have a movie for Wii Fit Trainer, The Villager and Mega Man and they’ll be viewable right at the beginning, you can watch those right away.”

“At this point we have no plans for downloadable content. Our goal is to have a Smash Bros. that has enough content, in terms of characters and stages, and that’s where all our energies are focused. There’s no fundamental opposition to downloadable content if it’s something that felt like it worked. We haven’t really decided whether we’re going to do it or not. We’re not opposed to it, we just need to work on completing the full package.”

Soundwave said:

How about a Kingdom Hearts game with only the Nintendo franchise? I loved to see it play out like thousand year door where the main character is mario and he travels to worlds where each one belongs to a certain Nintendo franchise and meets up with the protagonist of that series. They team up thousand year door style meaning there will only be mario and one partner on screen. That partner will have an ability to help mario explore that world. They can even make the game turn based like thousand year door with two characters battling and the partner can switch or have it played out like Mario RPG where you can only have three characters on screen at one time for more strategy.

Problem is the game can only handle so much worlds (probably eight) so not all franchise will be covered. Only the popular ones or ones with differet worlds will be used. If we were to copy Thousand Year Door's world themes,  first would be Mario's own world where you meet Yoshi(first world-rogueport), then Zelda (forest & castle), Pikmin (ancient forest), Pokemon (glitz arena), Luigi's Mansion (haunted place), Donkey Kong (vactaion-jungle) to Metroid/Windwaker (space pirate/pirate level), f-zero or star fox/toon link (huge train like vehicle), ice climber (snow) to Kirby (distant planet in space). The final area would be Kid Icarus (underground) with Hades as the main villain.

t3mporary_126 said:
Soundwave said:

A main villain character causes Link/Mario/Pitt/Samus/Fox/Cap Falcon/DK/RED/etc. all have to team up to stop him from destroying the Nintendo universe or something. Sprinkle it with references to old Nintendo products (the Famicom/NES, and so on). Like the Marvel movie concept maybe they have subtle little tie-ins to this game in regular Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/etc. games too to build it up.

How about a Kingdom Hearts game with only the Nintendo franchise? I loved to see it play out like thousand year door where the main character is mario and he travels to worlds where each one belongs to a certain Nintendo franchise and meets up with the protagonist of that series. They team up thousand year door style meaning there will only be mario and one partner on screen. That partner will have an ability to help mario explore that world. They can even make the game turn based like thousand year door with two characters battling and the partner can switch or have it played out like Mario RPG where you can only have three characters on screen at one time for more strategy.

Problem is the game can only handle so much worlds (probably eight) so not all franchise will be covered. Only the popular ones or ones with differet worlds will be used. If we were to copy Thousand Year Door's world themes,  first would be Mario's own world where you meet Yoshi(first world-rogueport), then Zelda (forest & castle), Pikmin (ancient forest), Pokemon (glitz arena), Luigi's Mansion (haunted place), Donkey Kong (vactaion-jungle) to Metroid/Windwaker (space pirate/pirate level), f-zero or star fox/toon link (huge train like vehicle), ice climber (snow) to Kirby (distant planet in space). The final area would be Kid Icarus (underground) with Hades as the main villain.

Nintendo needs to hire you guys as idea men or something