By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Next Super Smash Bros. Won't Have a Deep Story Mode/Cutscenes (But will have a Single Player Campaign mode)

Tagged games:

Are you disappointed with the announcement?

Yes - liked having a storyline and cutscenes 85 53.46%

No - I dont care 74 46.54%

Total:159
KylieDog said:
MDMAlliance said:
KylieDog said:

Not a story mode without cutscenes.  Without the cutscenes is just a long winded versus/arcade mode.

You really would come up with just about anything just to make it seem like you aren't wrong.

Yes, anything, like the truth.

I'm genuinely curious why you bother doing this in almost every thread, though I can't imagine you coming up with a good reason.

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:
Red4ADevil said:
Eh....doesn't really bother me. The one thing I hope they DO NOT do (again) is skimp out out of the intro (for this reason or I'll be disappointed again). SSB intro was unique, SSBM intro was different too, but SSBB was lackluster since it was just a mish mash of clips from the Sub Space Emissary.

Nice. I thought I was one of the few who diasappointingly noticed there was no real intro cutscene in Brawl as well. Great to hear somewhere else enjoyed those in 64 and Melee. What if it turned out to be same E3 trailer? lol Would still better than Brawl's though.

Sucks that cutscene are cut off just because of spoilers. I mean Let's Plays are up and they cover a game's entire gameplay. But if it leads to shorter developer time and better multiplayer then that's a good trade off. I do hope they have an adventure mode like Subspace where you can unlock a lot of the characters in just a couple of hours. But maybe that makes the game less satisfying. The option would be nice to have though.

I'll never fully understand Mr. Sakurai. But knowing that he was the director for all SSB games, I know he wont fail us.

enditall727 said:
By far the dumbest reasoning i've ever heard

Because of spoilers??

Really? REALLY, Nintendo?

.....Spoilers?

Whatever..

heh that's what I was thinking as well. Nintendo sure are an odd bunch.

That's my point. Nintendo is just old school, and not used to pumping out the games at the rate in which their users consume their 1st party titles. Their dev time is just too slow to keep up. THAT is why what's been cut, is being cut. All other reasoning is PR bull. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's the truth. Thought you guys were mature enough to handle the truth.

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

KylieDog said:
TruckOSaurus said:
KylieDog said:
MDMAlliance said:
KylieDog said:

Not a story mode without cutscenes.  Without the cutscenes is just a long winded versus/arcade mode.

You really would come up with just about anything just to make it seem like you aren't wrong.

Are you seriously saying SSE was the highlight of Brawl for you? That you spent most of your time in that mode? That SSE fulfilled your high standards when it comes to single player experiences?

For single player, yes it was the most played mode, outside of it I only ever played local MP (cos online was atrocious). 

Let me put it this way, for single player SSE was the best thing in Brawl, same way the story mode in MK was the best thing in single player for that, despite the challenge tower.

They're fighters, naturally the combat and character count is the most important thing, doesn't mean should focus on that and release a skeleton game like Capcom always do, or Sony did with PSASBR.  A million pointless unlocks tucked away behind trials doesn't make them any less skeletons.

did you play SSE more than you did multiplayer? thats the real question and if you did, then im sure you're in the minority their and you might just skip the next Smash games

Around the Network

I hated SSE, so this makes me happy. Can't wait for the game.

KylieDog said:
TruckOSaurus said:
KylieDog said:
MDMAlliance said:
KylieDog said:

Are you seriously saying SSE was the highlight of Brawl for you? That you spent most of your time in that mode? That SSE fulfilled your high standards when it comes to single player experiences?

For single player, yes it was the most played mode, outside of it I only ever played local MP (cos online was atrocious).  

Let me put it this way, for single player SSE was the best thing in Brawl, same way the story mode in MK was the best thing in single player for that, despite the challenge tower.

They're fighters, naturally the combat and character count is the most important thing, doesn't mean should focus on that and release a skeleton game like Capcom always do, or Sony did with PSASBR.  A million pointless unlocks tucked away behind trials doesn't make them any less skeletons.

I've found that setting up multiplayer matches against 3 bots is a lot more fun than SSE.  The game is built to play as a fighter.  It just doesn't seem to play quite right as a platformer, which is what most of SSE plays like.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

RenderMonk said:

The truth of the matter is that cut-scenes and story mode take more time. Nintendo is so slow at making games, that they cannot afford to take ANY extra time doing anything more than the HAVE TO. They know that the Wii U is in a bad spot, and needs games NOW, so they are cutting any of the extras (like cutscenes and story mode) in order to get them to market quicker. All this means is less game for your money. Don't buy into the lies about "not wanting them to be spoiled over youtube" and what not. That's a cover/ A cover for the fact that it would add 6-8months of development time. So instead of see Super Smash Bros come out winter of 2014 it would push it into Q1 of 2015, which is just to far out.

Rest assured, the cutting of this material doesn't mean "MORE TIME TO FOCUS ON SOMETHING ELSE". It's just simply that they won't be spending the time needs as they are already finding themselves out of time without doing it.

Sad really. Nintendo needs to find a way to develop games faster, without cutting stuff that makes the games great.

There is a very large team at Namco working on this, so I severly doubt man power is a problem

Anyone think Nintendo's sitting on a gold mine here and maybe doesn't realize it? A Subspace Emissary type concept expanded into a full game would be a monster franchise.

Kinda like an Infinity Gauntlet/Avengers concept for the Nintendo universe (look at what The Avengers did for Marvel movies). I think it would work better if it wasn't anchored to the Smash Bros. engine either -- the Mario 3D World engine for instance would suit a game like this better. Co-op play.

I think that would be a 10-20 million selling franchise on its own.

A main villain character causes Link/Mario/Pitt/Samus/Fox/Cap Falcon/DK/Ash/etc. all have to team up to stop him from destroying the Nintendo universe or something. Sprinkle it with references to old Nintendo products (the Famicom/NES, and so on). Like the Marvel movie concept maybe they have subtle little tie-ins to this game in regular Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/etc. games too to build it up.

Would be great I think. Maybe have small cameos from third party characters (Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Monster Hunter dude, etc.).

KylieDog said:
KHlover said:
Th3PANO said:
I love how the internet is overreacting, again. Cause it's Nintendo. People acting like story mode is the biggest reason for having Smash Bros. He never said there isn't a singleplayer. He said, it isn't cutscene based cause he wants to surprise gamers.

Yup. General opinion a few days ago: SSE was shitty. Shitty gameplay, bland stages, bland cutscenes, ruined unlocking the characters.

Really, because I remember Wii owners harping on about how SSBB has the best story mode in a fighter game ever and it made the game better than fighters like Street Fighter IV which didn't have one.  For years fans of other fighters have wanted great story modes, Mortal Kombat was praised heavily for including one.

Oh but now the new SSB has removed it, so suddenly a crap feature nobody liked or wants.

Take sone time to read through the NeoGAF SSB4 thread. The reception of SSE before and after the announcement is pretty different.