By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will gta4 totally unphaze the Wiii?????

I'm guessing the ps360 will increase in sales, probably to the point where it outsells the wii for a week or 2 (maybe more depending on how many commercials run, and when they start to be aired). However, the wii will continue to sell at approximately the same rate as it has since launch - sold out.

I think it'll be more interesting to see which console will get a bigger boost, due to GTAIV. Will people upgrade from ps2-ps3 to play this game........or will the 360 flaunt its downloadable content, to the point where it makes you sick to your stomach seeing that commercial 1 more time, a la Halo 3.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
GTA4 by itself is not going to phase the Wii a hole lot. However, the combanation of:

-PS3 40GB 299, PS3 120-160GB 399
-360 Arcade 249, 360 Pro 299, Elite 399
-GT5P in US and EU 2 weeks before GTA4
-GTA4 for both consoles
-Too Human May 6
-MGS4 in June

When you take into account all of the price drops and games MS and Sony are rolling out around that time period, then the Wii looks like it is going to be heavely phased. Many may believe that the Wii is in a differant market right now based on games and innovation. I am very interested to see what market the Wii is in when the price differance moves from 100-150 to 50 dollars all the way across. Also remember that Warner will be going Blu-ray exclusive starting the 3rd week in June. Even though many do not want to accept Blu-ray in the gaming community, in the average consumers mind Blu-ray is going to start to gain a lot of traction over the next months leading to summer and christmas. This intrest will be good for both MS and Sony as they can both due Blu, were Nintendo is stuck with nothing.

In conclusion GTA4 is the start of the turn from SD consoles to HD consoles. Not because it is OMFG the greatest game ever, but because Sony and MS both know it has massive casual appeal and they will start pushing their prices down to the level were it is more of a casual buy.

The best post on this thread!! However I think that GTAIV will have a lifetime sell through more than Kart and Brawl put together. It will be the biggest gaming event of this year. Far bigger than Halo 3 because it is on two platforms. Loads (many millions) of PS2 owners will upgrade to PS3 because of GTA IV. Loads (many millions) of people will buy 360s for the exclusive GTA IV content. So 360 will outsell Wii in NA and Europe for several weeks. And PS3 will outsell Wii in NA, Europe and Japan for several weeks. But Wii will continue to be supply constrained so will sell 1.8 million per month world wide. Not because of Brawl and Kart. But because of Wii Fit. Which will outsell Brawl and Kart combined to become the biggest grossing game of the year. It will be a bigger fad even than Wii Sports.

Incisive and erudite blog by game industry professional.

http://www.bruceongames.com/

@Bruce:

OK, interesting. What absolute sales numbers are you expecting for GTA4, Fit, Brawl and Kart?

I'm personally not that sold on the GTA4 hype. My LTD sales order prediction would be Fit > Kart > Brawl > GTA4 combined.

daactualfact said:
let me correct myself:

Why would a LOT of casuals buy a Ps3 for Blu when they will most likely go for a standalone panasonic or samsung player? Lets be for real!!

I know lots of people that bought the PS3 as a Blu Ray player ahead of a standalone player, for starters it runs (menus etc) much faster and is the only 1.1 profile player currently available. All the existing standalones are obsolete.

It'll increase sales for PS3 and 360, but it won't decrease sales for the Wii. If anything, Nintendo should inc shipments that week, so gamespot visitors can pick up that Wii they have been looking for.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

phazed is not word
phased is the past tense of phase

I think the word you are all looking for is fazed

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

daactualfact said:
@wiiforever

that is true. but its attach ration on ps2 was pretty good too!

You haven't heard? None of the PS2 games mattered, and no PS2 game has had good sales either. Trying to discuss with someone whose neck and head is stuck in one direction is like trying to shoot dead a barn wall; you hit the wall several times since its an easy target, but guess what? The barn doesn't give a shit, nor does it die.