By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U's Third-Party Concerns Are Brushed Off By 3DS

oniyide said:
Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:

No, I didn't miss his point. He used the example of Sonic Lost Worlds to make it very clear he's saying that Nintendo's 3rd party support on the U and 3DS so far is due to moneyhatting and I disagree. You should re-read his point. The U support is not there yet because Nintendo has not given the confidence needed and it makes perfect sense for all companies not EA because they are fuckers.

you obviously did miss his point, i didnt say anythng about moneyhatting or even Sega. Im talking about Capcom. The point was just because they are hooking 3ds up that doesnt mean they are doing it for WIi U. And from what we have seen, they are not. Your last sentence is spot on. But then how do you restore confindence?

from what we've seen capcom isn't doing much for the other's either, i think they barely had a presence at E3, if any. Even deep down had no new information. there might be an exclusive megaman/monster hunter/ resident evil to be announced for wii u.

Dead Rising 3 says hey. and they released TWO RE games for the HDs and PC last year. and Remember Me this year, Dragon's Dogma, im probably missing a few, but you get the point.

the point is? capcom barely announced anything at this year's E3, it's irrelevant what they have released before it.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:

6) what makes you think ps4 or xone will have any exclusive third party game for free? exclusives are always paid for. the third party multiplat support will come to wii u, it's a matter of waiting and seeing.

That depends on what you mean by exclusive. Exclusive to just the PS4, or to just the Xbone? There probably won't be many of those. PS4 will probably get a similar amount of exclusive games to the PS3, just by virtue of being viable in Japan where the Xbox isn't. But other than that, true exclusives will be few and far between.

But games that come to both PS4 and Xbone but not the Wii U? There will be tons of them, and more and more as the generation goes on. Look at all the games that are coming to PS3/360 or PS3/360/PS4/Xbone and skipping the Wii U right now. Now, keeping in mind that these are games that are targeting the PS360 level and then being up ported to next gen and that it is much more work to down port a game... what is going to happen once games start targeting the PS4/Xbone? In other words, if GTA V isn't coming to the Wii U now, there is basically zero chance that GTA VI will.

badgenome said:
Zero999 said:

6) what makes you think ps4 or xone will have any exclusive third party game for free? exclusives are always paid for. the third party multiplat support will come to wii u, it's a matter of waiting and seeing.

That depends on what you mean by exclusive. Exclusive to just the PS4, or to just the Xbone? There probably won't be many of those. PS4 will probably get a similar amount of exclusive games to the PS3, just by virtue of being viable in Japan where the Xbox isn't. But other than that, true exclusives will be few and far between.

But games that come to both PS4 and Xbone but not the Wii U? There will be tons of them, and more and more as the generation goes on. Look at all the games that are coming to PS3/360 or PS3/360/PS4/Xbone and skipping the Wii U right now. Now, keeping in mind that these are games that are targeting the PS360 level and then being up ported to next gen and that it is much more work to down port a game... what is going to happen once games start targeting the PS4/Xbone? In other words, if GTA V isn't coming to the Wii U now, there is basically zero chance that GTA VI will.

the guy I quoted said that thirds didn't invest much in multi's for wii so why would they invest in exclusives for wii u?

My answer was that exclusive third party games to A SINGLE CONSOLE are paid ones mainly.

GTAV is not coming to ps4/xone either so I guess GTA 6 won't either.

Zero999 said:

the guy I quoted said that thirds didn't invest much in multi's for wii so why would they invest in exclusives for wii u?

My answer was that exclusive third party games to A SINGLE CONSOLE are paid ones mainly.

You also said that third party multiplatform games will be coming to the Wii U. But most aren't already, and fewer still will in the future.

Zero999 said:

ListerOfSmeg said:
always amusing when someone compares abconsoles entire 5 year library to one just released. You can make any console look bad that way. Compare the GC list to the ps4 list. ps4 doesnt look so good then does it..

protip: make sure you reasons dont apply to other consoles before you make your own console look bad using your own logic

You mean the list i posted? Well sorry to dissapoint but that list only included games released in 2001 and 2002, so just over a year of it's lifecycle. So yes you can compare that to Wii-U's release schedule of 2012/2013.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Zero999 said:

You also said that third party multiplatform games will be coming to the Wii U. But most aren't already, and fewer still will in the future.

Zero999 said:

the GTA part is the same excuse for logic you used. and the wii u's third party multiplatforms is still way better than wii and you can't simply say "there will be fewer in the future". if the current ones sell, more will come.

Zero999 said:

the GTA part is the same excuse for logic you used. and the wii u's third party multiplatforms is still way better than wii and you can't simply say "there will be fewer in the future". if the current ones sell, more will come.

No, it really isn't. GTA V could rather easily be ported to the Wii U, yet it isn't coming. GTA VI will, as always, target reasonably high end specs - which, when it arrives in a few years, will mean PS4/Xbone levels. Porting it down to the Wii U would be more difficult, so if GTA V isn't coming now there is every reason to expect that VI won't, either.

Multiplatform games aren't selling on the Wii U, but that's kind of beside the point. As games start to target higher specs, it is going to become harder - not easier - to port them to the Wii U. If they're not coming now, they're not likely to come in the future. No established audience on the system, more work to make them... why would they?

I'm open to the idea that Nintendo can somehow turn things around with third parties, but you have to make the argument for why things are going to suddenly depart from the current, well established trend a year from now. You can't just handwave away recent history of Nintendo home consoles being passed over for games, the Wii U's poor sales, the gap in specs between the Wii U and other consoles, etc. Another Mario game isn't going to change all that. And even if it did? Games take a long time to make. Look at the trouble Nintendo is having making games for its own system.

So that's the real problem. Games are in the works for PS4 and Xbone now. If third parties do have a change of heart and start investing in the Wii U, those games will all be delayed. The audience for them will opt for other consoles in the meanwhile, and everyone in the industry would just decide that the Wii U isn't a viable platform for them after all. Since they know all this in advance, they're not going to waste their time or money by having such a change of heart. The Wii U will get table scraps from third parties and will have to live or die on Nintendo's own efforts, just like every other Nintendo system in recent memory.

Zero999 said:
RolStoppable said:

1) No doubt that the Wii U will see a rebound in sales once the games come out and the hardware gets a price cut. But the point here is that the Wii U has hit lows that the 3DS was never even close to. The Wii U is in bigger trouble than the 3DS ever was.

2) The Wii U does compete directly with the PS4 and X1. And you know what proves this? Nintendo's decision to sell the system at a loss. If Nintendo had created value that differs from the PS4 and X1, then there would be no need to sell at a loss right from the outset. But not even Nintendo really believes in the Gamepad, a fact that is further emphasized by the lack of significant Gamepad features in their upcoming first party games. The Gamepad was a compromise to have a dual analog controller as a standard (to make ports for third parties easier), but still a hook to draw in the Wii audience. The problem is that the Wii audience doesn't bite.

3) and 4) These two points were made to make a distinction between moneyhatting (any form of it) and third party support that materializes without any special incentives from Nintendo's side. I did this, because you had merged them and presented them as the same thing (you lumped Capcom and Atlus games together). RE: Mercenaries was released in June 2011 and RE: Revelations in January 2012. Both games were in the works long before the 3DS launched (shown off at E3 2010) and RE:M was always supposed to release first. And yeah, I already conceded that building an installed base leads to better third party support when it comes to Nintendo handhelds.

5) 70% market share, man. 70%! This is the kind of dominance where we don't talk about multiplatform games, but exclusives. Almost nothing came out of it. If 70% don't cut it to change third parties' minds, then what will?

6) Yes, this is a very different situation. The Wii was the successor of the GC, so one could reasonably argue that the Wii didn't get good third party support initially due to the GC's failure. You could say nobody had any confidence that Nintendo would be able to build an installed base. But the Wii U is the successor to the Wii, a console that sold almost 100m units. Yet there still wasn't any willingness from the side of third parties to give Nintendo at least the benefit of the doubt this time around and get on board with ports of 360/PS3 multiplatform games right from the start. You have seen the list I posted earlier. If third parties weren't willing to invest $2m into individual ports, what makes you think that they will develop exclusive games that cost multiple times more than that?

I guess you believe in fairness, but that's not how this business works. This is an industry that had the opportunity to grow tremendously, but they gave up this chance, because developing quality games for these new people (as well as those who didn't like the direction of Sony and Microsoft) was beneath them. People who liked the Wii were declared to be unworthy gamers by company PR. The industry tried its best to pretend that Nintendo doesn't exist in the home console space. And you expect the very same industry to make a U-turn and respect Nintendo all of a sudden? Not going to happen.

1) 3ds released in february/march and it's drought period lasted about 5 months only. wii u released in november and it's drought period are the 7 months from january to august. also,wii u is more expensive than 3ds was.

just out of curiostiy, and dont lie. Were you saying the same thing for the Wii?

Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:

No, I didn't miss his point. He used the example of Sonic Lost Worlds to make it very clear he's saying that Nintendo's 3rd party support on the U and 3DS so far is due to moneyhatting and I disagree. You should re-read his point. The U support is not there yet because Nintendo has not given the confidence needed and it makes perfect sense for all companies not EA because they are fuckers.

you obviously did miss his point, i didnt say anythng about moneyhatting or even Sega. Im talking about Capcom. The point was just because they are hooking 3ds up that doesnt mean they are doing it for WIi U. And from what we have seen, they are not. Your last sentence is spot on. But then how do you restore confindence?

from what we've seen capcom isn't doing much for the other's either, i think they barely had a presence at E3, if any. Even deep down had no new information. there might be an exclusive megaman/monster hunter/ resident evil to be announced for wii u.

Dead Rising 3 says hey. and they released TWO RE games for the HDs and PC last year. and Remember Me this year, Dragon's Dogma, im probably missing a few, but you get the point.

the point is? capcom barely announced anything at this year's E3, it's irrelevant what they have released before it.

its very relevant because its shows where Capcom is putting their support at. Its right there for the naked eye. Granted its barely anything, but thats still better than the whle lotta nothing that Wii U has coming (for now)

badgenome said:
Zero999 said:

Zero999 said:

LOOOOVVVEEE the gif! thats really all you can do, when a person is clearly and sadly grasping at straws