By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U's Third-Party Concerns Are Brushed Off By 3DS

NintendoPie said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Sorry but no, any argument that compares the Wii-U with the handheld 3DS is pointless. GBA ended up selling 80m+ aswell while Gamecube ended up below 25m. There are no signs off Wii-U sales picking up(there are getting lower every week while i thought 30 a week would be the bottom) and any boost it would normally get in the holiday's we be mostly offset by the launch of the PS4 and Xone.

Wouldn't you say announcement of games that people actually like to play is a sign of Wii U sales picking up? Because that happened few weeks ago.

With picking up i mean a turn around like the 3DS made, and for a much longer period(not just a short boost). I don't see that happening. Sure sales will go up ones bigger games launch and in the holiday season, but will it last? Even the 3DS has been mostly floating on Japan most of the year. Wii also appeared to be the perfect holiday present for years, does Wii-U have the same appeal? It clearly doesn't.

And you have to remember that at it's current low sales point the Wii-U's main competition isn't even out yet.

Around the Network

I am fairly positive about WiiU's great destiny and can't help but share the point of view of the author. WiiU's got a pretty solid lineup for Christmas (Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario) + Mario Kart coming in the beginning of 2014. I'm sure Nintendo will rectify the situation and pull the WiiU out of the water like they did with the 3DS. I'm sure the exploit is about to be repeated.

Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:

No, I didn't miss his point. He used the example of Sonic Lost Worlds to make it very clear he's saying that Nintendo's 3rd party support on the U and 3DS so far is due to moneyhatting and I disagree. You should re-read his point. The U support is not there yet because Nintendo has not given the confidence needed and it makes perfect sense for all companies not EA because they are fuckers.

you obviously did miss his point, i didnt say anythng about moneyhatting or even Sega. Im talking about Capcom. The point was just because they are hooking 3ds up that doesnt mean they are doing it for WIi U. And from what we have seen, they are not. Your last sentence is spot on. But then how do you restore confindence?

from what we've seen capcom isn't doing much for the other's either, i think they barely had a presence at E3, if any. Even deep down had no new information. there might be an exclusive megaman/monster hunter/ resident evil to be announced for wii u.

Dead Rising 3 says hey. and they released TWO RE games for the HDs and PC last year. and Remember Me this year, Dragon's Dogma, im probably missing a few, but you get the point.

Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
Cold-Flipper said:
oniyide said:
how much are people expecting for Wii U to do this holiday if it DOESNT get a price cut? 60k? 80k? a week. Im thinking maybe 50-60

In November & December? Don't people on this site consider the final 10 weeks to be the Holiday period? If so, that would be between November 2nd & January 4th. 60K...is that honestly your prediction? Not saying it will do gangbusters but that amount makes literally no sense at all. That would mean you expect 600K during the Holiday's. That would be significantly lower than the DS & PSP from last year...plus, the Wii U actually has a solid exclusive lineup:

Months before Holidays: The Wonderful 101 & Pikmin 3

Weeks before Holidays: Zelda TWW HD & Wii Party U

During Holidays: Mario / Sonic Olympics, Sonic Lost World, Wii Fit U, DK Country, Mario 3D World

I'd expect at least 2 out of the 10 weeks to be 300K+ at the very least. That already puts it above your numbers.

lt_dan_27 said:

It's a bad argument, you are comparing to markets. That's like comparing the cell phone market to the PC market. They have some similarities, but still work differently. And you can see that no 3rd party definitely isn't good for the wiiU.

I would say they have more in common than a phone & PC. They are both gaming systems after all. I'd say more like a laptop and a tablet.

let me explain myself better. I was talking more once the games start rolling in. right know there isnt going to be anything for the next month. Pikmin 3 comes out in 1 month. Then Rayman the next month and so on. Maybe Zelda HD after and Mario and so on. THese are supposed to be the games that will save Wii U. So from the time Pikmin 3 comes out till Jan. I was wondering what people will expect weekly. I dont think Pikmin3 will do too much for it. It might go up to 30-35k that week. Hell it might even stay there till the Nov Dec months where it might see double that. Thats just what i think. I didnt put multiplats because they wont do much for Ninty and they are still missing some, GTA being the biggest one. Maybe my numbers might be wrong.

edit: my numbers are kinda low, but i dont think it will do 300k any week, thats 3ds numbers. I dont think it will happen. best week 200k. THe games coming this holiday for Wii U are not THAT big. 

after pikmin there's also splinter cell in august wich is at lest something and W101 for europe. september has rayman and W101 for america, october has batman, AC4, sonic lw, zelda WW remake and wii party U. that's a good amount of games before november.

none of those games are big sellers. W101 wont set the charts on fire, Rayman is now multiplat and its a small series, batman AC4, multis and lets be real we know who and what systems they will sell on. Sonic could do somethin but its been awhile since he moved consoles. WW is a remake of one of the least popular Zeldas, Wii party U, i dont have that much faith in that, its not like the original moved alot of consoles, it was bought because people had Wiis, now a wii sports or even fit would do something. 

on their own, nothing together, im not too optimistic. a good chunk of those games will be avaible on more popular systems with larger user bases and the ones that arent, arent that big to begin with.

Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
Zero999 said:

2006 was a different time and I'm sure ps3's sales drought was at least a little better than wii u's. again, the only thing that matters is how wii u will sell after the games start releasing (august and onwards).

different how? what kind of excuse is that? its not like the PS3 was getting a slew of releases in that timeframe either. how do you explain that?

different as in no economic resession and also, ps3 had the brand name to back it up a little.

so are we are still in an economic recession? even if we are its nowhere near what it was back then, dont know where you were at. PS3 had brand name to back it up? and "Nintendo" and "Wii" dont...? Ok

Around the Network

always amusing when someone compares abconsoles entire 5 year library to one just released. You can make any console look bad that way. Compare the GC list to the ps4 list. ps4 doesnt look so good then does it..

protip: make sure you reasons dont apply to other consoles before you make your own console look bad using your own logic

Cold-Flipper said:

oniyide said:

let me explain myself better. I was talking more once the games start rolling in. right know there isnt going to be anything for the next month. Pikmin 3 comes out in 1 month. Then Rayman the next month and so on. Maybe Zelda HD after and Mario and so on. THese are supposed to be the games that will save Wii U. So from the time Pikmin 3 comes out till Jan. I was wondering what people will expect weekly. I dont think Pikmin3 will do too much for it. It might go up to 30-35k that week. Hell it might even stay there till the Nov Dec months where it might see double that. Thats just what i think. I didnt put multiplats because they wont do much for Ninty and they are still missing some, GTA being the biggest one. Maybe my numbers might be wrong.

edit: my numbers are kinda low, but i dont think it will do 300k any week, thats 3ds numbers. I dont think it will happen. best week 200k. THe games coming this holiday for Wii U are not THAT big. 

oniyide said:

I dont know what world youve been living in, but besides Mario 64, 3d marios dont push consoles that much. ill say it does 90k the week it releases, this is of course if they DONT do a price cut. 

My prediction based on the info I have:

July: 115K (4 weeks) (Average: 29K)

Auguest: 175K (5 weeks) (Average: 35K)

September: 130K (4 weeks) (Average: 33K)

October: 435K (4 weeks) (Average: 109K)

November: 615K (4 weeks) (Average: 153K)

December: 900K (4 weeks) (Average: 225K)

I expect sales to be around 5.5 Million by the end of the year.

Also, 300K for 3DS peak week? Really?

interesting, whats releasing in Oct-Dec to make you think it will get that high? or is it just holidays?

ListerOfSmeg said:
always amusing when someone compares abconsoles entire 5 year library to one just released. You can make any console look bad that way. Compare the GC list to the ps4 list. ps4 doesnt look so good then does it..

protip: make sure you reasons dont apply to other consoles before you make your own console look bad using your own logic

Always amusing when someone confuses 2001-2002 for a five year period.

Protip: it wasn't. I know it's hard to imagine now, but a Nintendo console actually had that many games in its first year.

RolStoppable said:

1) No doubt that the Wii U will see a rebound in sales once the games come out and the hardware gets a price cut. But the point here is that the Wii U has hit lows that the 3DS was never even close to. The Wii U is in bigger trouble than the 3DS ever was.

2) The Wii U does compete directly with the PS4 and X1. And you know what proves this? Nintendo's decision to sell the system at a loss. If Nintendo had created value that differs from the PS4 and X1, then there would be no need to sell at a loss right from the outset. But not even Nintendo really believes in the Gamepad, a fact that is further emphasized by the lack of significant Gamepad features in their upcoming first party games. The Gamepad was a compromise to have a dual analog controller as a standard (to make ports for third parties easier), but still a hook to draw in the Wii audience. The problem is that the Wii audience doesn't bite.

3) and 4) These two points were made to make a distinction between moneyhatting (any form of it) and third party support that materializes without any special incentives from Nintendo's side. I did this, because you had merged them and presented them as the same thing (you lumped Capcom and Atlus games together). RE: Mercenaries was released in June 2011 and RE: Revelations in January 2012. Both games were in the works long before the 3DS launched (shown off at E3 2010) and RE:M was always supposed to release first. And yeah, I already conceded that building an installed base leads to better third party support when it comes to Nintendo handhelds.

5) 70% market share, man. 70%! This is the kind of dominance where we don't talk about multiplatform games, but exclusives. Almost nothing came out of it. If 70% don't cut it to change third parties' minds, then what will?

6) Yes, this is a very different situation. The Wii was the successor of the GC, so one could reasonably argue that the Wii didn't get good third party support initially due to the GC's failure. You could say nobody had any confidence that Nintendo would be able to build an installed base. But the Wii U is the successor to the Wii, a console that sold almost 100m units. Yet there still wasn't any willingness from the side of third parties to give Nintendo at least the benefit of the doubt this time around and get on board with ports of 360/PS3 multiplatform games right from the start. You have seen the list I posted earlier. If third parties weren't willing to invest $2m into individual ports, what makes you think that they will develop exclusive games that cost multiple times more than that?

I guess you believe in fairness, but that's not how this business works. This is an industry that had the opportunity to grow tremendously, but they gave up this chance, because developing quality games for these new people (as well as those who didn't like the direction of Sony and Microsoft) was beneath them. People who liked the Wii were declared to be unworthy gamers by company PR. The industry tried its best to pretend that Nintendo doesn't exist in the home console space. And you expect the very same industry to make a U-turn and respect Nintendo all of a sudden? Not going to happen.

1) 3ds released in february/march and it's drought period lasted about 5 months only. wii u released in november and it's drought period are the 7 months from january to august. also,wii u is more expensive than 3ds was.

6) what makes you think ps4 or xone will have any exclusive third party game for free? exclusives are always paid for. the third party multiplat support will come to wii u, it's a matter of waiting and seeing.

ListerOfSmeg said:

Good point.