By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U's Third-Party Concerns Are Brushed Off By 3DS

badgenome said:
Zero999 said:

the GTA part is the same excuse for logic you used. and the wii u's third party multiplatforms is still way better than wii and you can't simply say "there will be fewer in the future". if the current ones sell, more will come.

No, it really isn't. GTA V could rather easily be ported to the Wii U, yet it isn't coming. GTA VI will, as always, target reasonably high end specs - which, when it arrives in a few years, will mean PS4/Xbone levels. Porting it down to the Wii U would be more difficult, so if GTA V isn't coming now there is every reason to expect that VI won't, either.

Multiplatform games aren't selling on the Wii U, but that's kind of beside the point. As games start to target higher specs, it is going to become harder - not easier - to port them to the Wii U. If they're not coming now, they're not likely to come in the future. No established audience on the system, more work to make them... why would they?

I'm open to the idea that Nintendo can somehow turn things around with third parties, but you have to make the argument for why things are going to suddenly depart from the current, well established trend a year from now. You can't just handwave away recent history of Nintendo home consoles being passed over for games, the Wii U's poor sales, the gap in specs between the Wii U and other consoles, etc. Another Mario game isn't going to change all that. And even if it did? Games take a long time to make. Look at the trouble Nintendo is having making games for its own system.

So that's the real problem. Games are in the works for PS4 and Xbone now. If third parties do have a change of heart and start investing in the Wii U, those games will all be delayed. The audience for them will opt for other consoles in the meanwhile, and everyone in the industry would just decide that the Wii U isn't a viable platform for them after all. Since they know all this in advance, they're not going to waste their time or money by having such a change of heart. The Wii U will get table scraps from third parties and will have to live or die on Nintendo's own efforts, just like every other Nintendo system in recent memory.

give up on the nonsense.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Zero999 said:

1) 3ds released in february/march and it's drought period lasted about 5 months only. wii u released in november and it's drought period are the 7 months from january to august. also,wii u is more expensive than 3ds was.

6) what makes you think ps4 or xone will have any exclusive third party game for free? exclusives are always paid for. the third party multiplat support will come to wii u, it's a matter of waiting and seeing.

just out of curiostiy, and dont lie. Were you saying the same thing for the Wii?

No. it was pretty clear that for many reasons, a game had to be built almost from scratch to wii. Not the case with wii u.

oniyide said:

interesting, whats releasing in Oct-Dec to make you think it will get that high? or is it just holidays?

It is mainly the Holiday effect. I think you're severely underestimating the Holiday increase. Last year, even the PSP sold 269K during peak week. (week before Chrstmas) I agree, Wii U would sell much better if it had a price cut. The games releasing are all going to help push many systems in the long run but I also have my doubts about family's buying a $300+ system for Mario & Wii Fit or Zelda & DK. Even without a price cut though, Wii U sales should pick up significantly because of games and the Holiday season. I might be overestimating October sales but December might be higher too. December specifically will see a huge boost.

Either way, I expect sales to reach 5.5 Million by years end. 

Zero999 said:

give up on the nonsense.

What an insightful refutation. You've convinced me!

Cold-Flipper said:
oniyide said:

interesting, whats releasing in Oct-Dec to make you think it will get that high? or is it just holidays?

It is mainly the Holiday effect. I think you're severely underestimating the Holiday increase. Last year, even the PSP sold 269K during peak week. (week before Chrstmas) I agree, Wii U would sell much better if it had a price cut. The games releasing are all going to help push many systems in the long run but I also have my doubts about family's buying a $300+ system for Mario & Wii Fit or Zelda & DK. Even without a price cut though, Wii U sales should pick up significantly because of games and the Holiday season. I might be overestimating October sales but December might be higher too. December specifically will see a huge boost.

Either way, I expect sales to reach 5.5 Million by years end. 

oh im not underestimating the holidays, I might be underestimating WIi U. for the same concerns you have price. are you saying it will have sold 5.5 mil total by the end of the year? or 5.5 additional because i think the prior is more likely.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Zero999 said:

give up on the nonsense.

What an insightful refutation. You've convinced me!

this is how you know someone has nothing, reminds me of lilobrex, but more pleasant. I wonder if he is proven wrong, he'll have breakdown and leave as well?

Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
Zero999 said:

1) 3ds released in february/march and it's drought period lasted about 5 months only. wii u released in november and it's drought period are the 7 months from january to august. also,wii u is more expensive than 3ds was.

6) what makes you think ps4 or xone will have any exclusive third party game for free? exclusives are always paid for. the third party multiplat support will come to wii u, it's a matter of waiting and seeing.

just out of curiostiy, and dont lie. Were you saying the same thing for the Wii?

No. it was pretty clear that for many reasons, a game had to be built almost from scratch to wii. Not the case with wii u.

i agree that is not the case for WIi U, HOWEVER, the ar missing ALOT of games from PS360 NOW, you can make the argument that there arent enough sales that 3rd parties will not try, but it will only get harder when PS4 and xbone gets games made for it and they will have to be down ported for Wii U, there will have to be ALOT of consoles sold to make it worthwhile.

oniyide said:

oh im not underestimating the holidays, I might be underestimating WIi U. for the same concerns you have price. are you saying it will have sold 5.5 mil total by the end of the year? or 5.5 additional because i think the prior is more likely.

5.5 Million in total sales by the week ending January 4th to be more specific.

That would be 2.3 Million more for the rest of the year or an average of 82K a week. I mean we have somewhat similar numbers. At 60K a week, you'd expect 1.6 Million for the rest of 2013. We only have a 700K difference.

Wiped said:
Sorry Conegamer, but there is no way 3DS is in a 'less competitive market'. Those weighing up buying a 3DS have the option of iPads, smartphones, Kindles... all of these things compete with the handheld (even Vita...). I know, I see this first hand. My nieces aged 8-12 both had a DS, neither want a 3DS, but both have a mobile phone each and one of them just got a 7 inch Kindle for her birthday complete with some rubbishy Android games on it.

Competition from tablets and smartphones is very, very real, and the 3DS is doing extraordinarily to hold its own against them and still have a market. The reason? Exclusive games like Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

You're wrong, 3DS doesn't has competitive market because there is no other device in the price range of 3DS which providers the games of its quality and it has advantage of 30 Years of old IP games and fans. I can say that Nintendor always had success mostly because of their low price points(where there will be no other device in the same range) and first party titles.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

oniyide said:

this is how you know someone has nothing, reminds me of lilobrex, but more pleasant. I wonder if he is proven wrong, he'll have breakdown and leave as well?

Haha, whatever happened to him? I don't think I noticed when he left.